Official 14.1 High Runs

Mick56

Go Pack!!!!!
Silver Member
bud green said:
Didn't Willie claim to have run more than 526 a some point. Obviously, it wasn't official but I tried to find some info in his bio "Willie's Game" and failed.

I thought he'd claimed to run 609 or something similar. Cranfield supposedly ran 689 or something crazy. Does anyone have the official un-official numbers?

I have some footage of Willie, that somebody took with a camcorder. Don't know when it was taken, but it had to be in Willie's later years.

On the footage, someone asks Willie what his high run is. Willie replies that he ran 526, and it took about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Then he says that somebody beat that run, so then he ran 609.

DDUBBS9

2STROKEWILLY
14.1 High Run

In 1879 Jacob Schaefer ran 690 in the first professional straight pool tourmament. Anyone else ever heard of this?

poolshark52

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i watched babe cranfield run 490 one day and came back the next afternoon and run 493!!! i was racking for him....it was at the holiday bowl in syracuse in th late 60s.
i saw crane run a 370 and seigal a 350 in rochester. i had a 338- 336 then also. those were the days! lucky to get a 100 in once in a while now....dont ever get old!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
DDUBBS9 said:
In 1879 Jacob Schaefer ran 690 in the first professional straight pool tourmament. Anyone else ever heard of this?
It was either straight rail or balkline, not straight pool. That was over 30 years before straight pool was invented. ... on second thought, it was almost certainly straight rail -- just hit both the other balls at carom billiards -- because I don't think anyone was running multi-hundreds in balkline back then.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
... New York City's best straight pooler of the last thirty years may well have been Pete Margo of Staten Island, but I have no idea what his high run is.
I saw him run 198 in an exhibition in Bewster, NY in 1980. The run ended on an unlikely scratch on a break shot. 4.5x9 Gold Crown, medium-tight pockets.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bud green said:
... Cranfield supposedly ran 689 or something crazy. Does anyone have the official un-official numbers?
768, according to an article by Larry Moy. It was in practice.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolshark52 said:
i watched babe cranfield run 490 one day and came back the next afternoon and run 493!!! i was racking for him....it was at the holiday bowl in syracuse in th late 60s.
i saw crane run a 370 and seigal a 350 in rochester. i had a 338- 336 then also. those were the days! lucky to get a 100 in once in a while now....dont ever get old!

338 and a 336 are quite impressive, would you mind sharing your name with the forum?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
huckster said:
338 and a 336 are quite impressive, would you mind sharing your name with the forum?

Yea no kiddin!...330's is the upper echilon of straight poolin'...:)

Gerry

gregory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the list from http://matchroomsportforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2202

Did Mike Massey really run 224?

Mike Eufemia - 625
Willie Mosconi - 526
Thomas Engert - 492 *1 more than is listed in the first post of this thread
Earl Strickland - 408
Thorsten Hohmann - 404 *4 fewer than is listed in the first post of this thread
John Scmidt - 400
Steve Mizerak - 321
Irving Crane - 309
Per Anda - 306
Larry Guninger - 274
Daryl Peach - 273
Alex Lely - 272
Vegar Kristiansen - 267
Tony Robles - 267
Cisero Murphy - 262
Vilmos F�ldes - 259
Niels Feijen - 259
Nick van den Berg - 258
Mike Massey - 224
Don Willis - 216
David Sapolis - 212
George SanSouci - 212
Cetin Aslan - 207
Johnny Archer - 200

Dan Barouty 287
Johnny Archer 200 (unfinished !) :)
Grady Mathews 327
Ralf Greenleaf 272 (10-footer)
Mika Immonen 267
Johnny Ervolino ran 333 when he was 65 years old ! But he told it's not his record, I don't know how much that is, but something like 350-370. Also, I've heard that Gene Nagy has run over 400. Art Cranfeld was probably one of the best 14.1 players ever, he has a confirmed run of 492, but he has claimed to run 768 on his practise table. He has just passed away and he has been told to run over 400 more than 40 times during his long career !

Jennifer Chen 158 (Womens' record ?)
Ruth McInnis 127

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
gregory said:
Here is the list from http://matchroomsportforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2202

Did Mike Massey really run 224?

Mike Eufemia - 625
Willie Mosconi - 526
Thomas Engert - 492 *1 more than is listed in the first post of this thread
Earl Strickland - 408
Thorsten Hohmann - 404 *4 fewer than is listed in the first post of this thread
John Scmidt - 400
Steve Mizerak - 321
Irving Crane - 309
Per Anda - 306
Larry Guninger - 274
Daryl Peach - 273
Alex Lely - 272
Vegar Kristiansen - 267
Tony Robles - 267
Cisero Murphy - 262
Vilmos F�ldes - 259
Niels Feijen - 259
Nick van den Berg - 258
Mike Massey - 224
Don Willis - 216
David Sapolis - 212
George SanSouci - 212
Cetin Aslan - 207
Johnny Archer - 200

Dan Barouty 287
Johnny Archer 200 (unfinished !) :)
Grady Mathews 327
Ralf Greenleaf 272 (10-footer)
Mika Immonen 267
Johnny Ervolino ran 333 when he was 65 years old ! But he told it's not his record, I don't know how much that is, but something like 350-370. Also, I've heard that Gene Nagy has run over 400. Art Cranfeld was probably one of the best 14.1 players ever, he has a confirmed run of 492, but he has claimed to run 768 on his practise table. He has just passed away and he has been told to run over 400 more than 40 times during his long career !

Jennifer Chen 158 (Womens' record ?)
Ruth McInnis 127

let me update your list and add a little anecdote. amsterdam used to keep a high run board.....

bobby hunter ran 225

here's where i'm vague on the exact numbers but sjm or jude will pipe in, i'm sure,,,,,,

mika ran a 25x or 26x. ginky heard about it, came in a couple of days later, and proclaimed he was going to break mika's ABC high run. ginky fell a couple of balls short!!!!!!!! both verified

btw...george mikula ran something like 315 at chelsea billiards(not his high run) in the year he passed away, if i'm not mistaken. again, i'm sure a few here will correct my vague answers.

i can't believe some of the guys mentioned(murphy and mizerak) have ONLY run 262 and 321, i think that's pretty low for upper world class 14.1 players.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
bud green said:
Jeannette Lee has a high run of 132, I've heard.

Actually, it is 152, and she ran them on me at the Amsterdam Billiard Club a few years ago.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Who is George Mikula?

bruin70 said:
btw...george mikula ran something like 315 at chelsea billiards(not his high run) in the year he passed away, if i'm not mistaken. again, i'm sure a few here will correct my vague answers.

Who is George Mikula...I've never heard of him. 315 balls is a lot of balls for not being his high run. Do you have any more background about this player (tournament player, roadplayer, etc.)

Just curious, thanks.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
let me update your list and add a little anecdote. amsterdam used to keep a high run board.....

bobby hunter ran 225

here's where i'm vague on the exact numbers but sjm or jude will pipe in, i'm sure,,,,,,

mika ran a 25x or 26x. ginky heard about it, came in a couple of days later, and proclaimed he was going to break mika's ABC high run. ginky fell a couple of balls short!!!!!!!! both verified

i can't believe some of the guys mentioned(murphy and mizerak) have ONLY run 262 and 321, i think that's pretty low for upper world class 14.1 players.

Bruin, Mika ran 267, then Ginky came in and ran 252. I was on the table next to Ginky and saw most of it. Johnny Ervolino also ran exactly 252 around that same time, then 333 about a year later. For the record Ervolino's highest ever run was 361 which he ran in 1967.
George Mikula ran 336 at Chelsea Billiards, at least that's what the sign behind the counter used to say.
I agree that Mizerak and Murphy should have had higher high runs then those listed. I'm guessing they did have higher runs in practice.

Bobby

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Other Amercian straight poolers not yet mentioned that I'm quite certain have run over 200 are Jim Fusco, Carlos Viera and Bob Maidhof.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Get_A_Grip said:
Who is George Mikula...I've never heard of him. 315 balls is a lot of balls for not being his high run. Do you have any more background about this player (tournament player, roadplayer, etc.)

Just curious, thanks.

there are others who can give you more accurate info. mikula was a great 14.1 player(high run in the 400's maybe???). he was one of ginky's many "teachers". everyone in manhattan knows him. he passed away several years ago.

here's what was told to me by a very close friend and student. george mikula ran massive amounts of balls in the 60's or 70's. in his vey first 14.1 tourney(i don't know how far into the tourney he got), he was doing well until he faced joe balsis. he lost. i do not know if mikula did well but fell short or was blanked,,,all i was told was that he was very disappointed in his performance and never did well again. that balsis match pretty much scarred him forever, he was relegated to running 300-400 in practice.

my sense is that he never frequented the same pool halls as ervolino and all those other famous guys,,,so you never hear about him

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've just had word on this side of the Pond that Nick Van Den Berg has run somewhere in the region of 523 balls, breaking the European record for Straight Pool. Unfortunately I don't know what the circumstances were of the run (match, exhibition, practice, table size, etc).

There is a short thread started on the Pro9.co.uk Forum that you can keep an eye on for more details.