okay I am worried now ... shipping issues

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
7 weeks ago I sent my playing set to a cuemaker/repairman in the US for a refinish and pin fix. we exchanged emails before I sent out my cues and he said the cues would need to be in his shop for 2 weeks. I did the math, the cues needed 1 week shipping to him, 2 weeks there and 1 week shipping back to me. that would be 4 weeks.

I followed up with him weekly since I sent him the cues and the process was smooth. the problem arose when he said he almost finished the work and I told him to let me know when he finished and I would tell him when to ship to me along with some instructions. I talked to him about the instructions and he had another man ship out the cues to me, with that sender received the instructions from the cue repairman.

I woke up 6th Nov 2013 my time and received an email that the cues had been shipped to me. they did not ask me when it was best to ship the cue, and they were not aware that the Haiyan typhoon was gonna hit Vietnam that following weekend. I have been in contact with the sender from that on.

on 10th Nov 2013 evening I received an USPS update email that my cues arrived at a postal facility in Spain. on my guess, that would be because of the Haiyan typhoon that the flight to Vietnam was delayed. so the package had to be checked in in Spain and would be forwarded to me after that.

On Monday 18th Nov 2013 I received another update from USPS that the package status is "in pre-shipment" and "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment". that was strange and I contacted the sender about that. he followed up with USPS and learned that the package was being sent back to him.

This is the first time I have been in such situation, although we know where the cues is heading but it's been another 3 days without any update, and I am starting to worry because I don't know how long it takes to return the cues to the sender, why it was sent back to the sender and the current condition of the package.

I am sorry it for the long post, but I want to be clear and ask if anyone has experienced the same before, what can I expect from this, will the return to sender go smoothly. I have no clue right now and I am really worried.

any input would be much appreciated.
Cuong.
 
7 weeks ago I sent my playing set to a cuemaker/repairman in the US for a refinish and pin fix. we exchanged emails before I sent out my cues and he said the cues would need to be in his shop for 2 weeks. I did the math, the cues needed 1 week shipping to him, 2 weeks there and 1 week shipping back to me. that would be 4 weeks.

I followed up with him weekly since I sent him the cues and the process was smooth. the problem arose when he said he almost finished the work and I told him to let me know when he finished and I would tell him when to ship to me along with some instructions. I talked to him about the instructions and he had another man ship out the cues to me, with that sender received the instructions from the cue repairman.

I woke up 6th Nov 2013 my time and received an email that the cues had been shipped to me. they did not ask me when it was best to ship the cue, and they were not aware that the Haiyan typhoon was gonna hit Vietnam that following weekend. I have been in contact with the sender from that on.

on 10th Nov 2013 evening I received an USPS update email that my cues arrived at a postal facility in Spain. on my guess, that would be because of the Haiyan typhoon that the flight to Vietnam was delayed. so the package had to be checked in in Spain and would be forwarded to me after that.

On Monday 18th Nov 2013 I received another update from USPS that the package status is "in pre-shipment" and "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment". that was strange and I contacted the sender about that. he followed up with USPS and learned that the package was being sent back to him.

This is the first time I have been in such situation, although we know where the cues is heading but it's been another 3 days without any update, and I am starting to worry because I don't know how long it takes to return the cues to the sender, why it was sent back to the sender and the current condition of the package.

I am sorry it for the long post, but I want to be clear and ask if anyone has experienced the same before, what can I expect from this, will the return to sender go smoothly. I have no clue right now and I am really worried.

any input would be much appreciated.
Cuong.

Don't know if I can help much but I will try.

I sent a couple cues out to China a few years ago. Once I shipped out of the US, it was "unknown" location. It took about 10 days to ship each way.

After doing it, with the buyer nervous and I was nervous, so it wasn't worth it for me.

Ken
 
I sent a cue case to China one time and the buyer sent me the wrong address.

It took at least four weeks to get back to me.
 
Don't know if I can help much but I will try.

I sent a couple cues out to China a few years ago. Once I shipped out of the US, it was "unknown" location. It took about 10 days to ship each way.

After doing it, with the buyer nervous and I was nervous, so it wasn't worth it for me.

Ken

thanks for your experience, Ken, but 10 days are pretty common for shipping to China.

I sent a cue case to China one time and the buyer sent me the wrong address.

It took at least four weeks to get back to me.

thanks for sharing, I am truly worried that the time for return to sender will be much longer, as there is no standard for that. I gave them the right address this time and still I could not explain why it landed in Spain then went straight back to sender.

I am always very active in picking up packages, I dont wait for them but track them closely and often contact the post office all the way to see if there is any problem. I once gave the sender a wrong address, but I worked with him and his post office to verify the correct address with my post office, I still got the package.

this time I feel the correspondence was not good, the repairman and the sender are two different persons and that caused incomplete information transfer. It is a pity when they shipped out to me during a big typhoon threat without telling me before shipping. that put the package in a great amount of risks which, more pitifully, could be minimized with just a line of chat, I was always available on facebook, and contacted the repairman on facebook also.
 
Cuong, sorry to hear of your situation with shipping and the big storm. I hope that your situation works itself out favorably very soon. Maybe just take a little more time. I have not had any experiences like you describe but have heard that when something gets returned to sender, it can take quite a bit of extra time, more that you would think....not sure why. Hoping the best for you my friend.
 
Cuong, sorry to hear of your situation with shipping and the big storm. I hope that your situation works itself out favorably very soon. Maybe just take a little more time. I have not had any experiences like you describe but have heard that when something gets returned to sender, it can take quite a bit of extra time, more that you would think....not sure why. Hoping the best for you my friend.

thank you, Sean. I am prepared to wait, and understand that shipping back to sender would take longer. but I am really afraid if any damage or problem may happen to the cues, at least I know where the cues are heading but I can't explain why they are sent back.

I am hoping for the best, and the sender is following up closely. I just can't feel good right now, I hope for better news next week.
 
I don't know if it's the cost of shipping out of the country or what but a lot of people don't like to do it. If the buyer pays the shipping and excepts the liability then why not ship it. I have sent cues all over the world and the first person that lives on the moon and wants one ill ship one their if they want it. Out of country buyers are easy to deal with from my own experience, maybe because they have a hard time getting stuff or people to deal with them.

Now to the question at hand. I have yet to have a problem shipping a cue out of the country and it not arriving when it should but I did have one held up in customs for a lengthy amount of time last year. I don't know about other countries but when coming into the U.S. that is a high possibility.
 
I don't know if it's the cost of shipping out of the country or what but a lot of people don't like to do it. If the buyer pays the shipping and excepts the liability then why not ship it. I have sent cues all over the world and the first person that lives on the moon and wants one ill ship one their if they want it. Out of country buyers are easy to deal with from my own experience, maybe because they have a hard time getting stuff or people to deal with them.

Now to the question at hand. I have yet to have a problem shipping a cue out of the country and it not arriving when it should but I did have one held up in customs for a lengthy amount of time last year. I don't know about other countries but when coming into the U.S. that is a high possibility.

I do believe shipping overseas is risky but all the risks will be addressed if buyer and seller work closely together, step by step and do as agreed upon. I have bought from the US and sold to the US, and nothing happened.

the customs procedures are truly pain in the ass, but if the buyer's cell phone number written in the shipping bill and/or the customs form, the customs office or post office can contact the buyer if there is any problem. and the buyer can always be active to track the shipment and contact local customs office to complete the procedure.
 
I don't know if it's the cost of shipping out of the country or what but a lot of people don't like to do it. If the buyer pays the shipping and excepts the liability then why not ship it. I have sent cues all over the world and the first person that lives on the moon and wants one ill ship one their if they want it. Out of country buyers are easy to deal with from my own experience, maybe because they have a hard time getting stuff or people to deal with them.

It's fear. All the risk lies with the buyer, as I'm experiencing myself at the moment.
 
I have shipped cues to other countries and in the customs declaration, the shipping paperwork has to have an option checked on the paperwork in case the package is undeliverable for any reason. I always check the return to sender box as then it does not end up on a airline auction. In my opinion only, the person who sent you the package done the right thing as if any problems arose, at least if the package was still intact, it would go back to the sender. At this moment, I believe all is good and you should be able to track the package back to the sender. Things happen and believe a much larger problem could exist, glad to know your safe. I can't speak on behalf of the sender of coarse, but, if he is like me, maybe not a world news watcher let alone maybe not a local news watcher as like myself, find any news program a waste of my time to watch as here in the states, you just flip channels until you find the news cast you want to hear as each station is usually casting different predictions. I think your good at the moment and hopefully the sender will keep you informed and updated as they should.
Again, just my opinion, but, kind of a uncontrollable situation for the sender.
Chuck
 
7 weeks ago I sent my playing set to a cuemaker/repairman in the US for a refinish and pin fix. we exchanged emails before I sent out my cues and he said the cues would need to be in his shop for 2 weeks. I did the math, the cues needed 1 week shipping to him, 2 weeks there and 1 week shipping back to me. that would be 4 weeks.

I followed up with him weekly since I sent him the cues and the process was smooth. the problem arose when he said he almost finished the work and I told him to let me know when he finished and I would tell him when to ship to me along with some instructions. I talked to him about the instructions and he had another man ship out the cues to me, with that sender received the instructions from the cue repairman.

I woke up 6th Nov 2013 my time and received an email that the cues had been shipped to me. they did not ask me when it was best to ship the cue, and they were not aware that the Haiyan typhoon was gonna hit Vietnam that following weekend. I have been in contact with the sender from that on.

on 10th Nov 2013 evening I received an USPS update email that my cues arrived at a postal facility in Spain. on my guess, that would be because of the Haiyan typhoon that the flight to Vietnam was delayed. so the package had to be checked in in Spain and would be forwarded to me after that.

On Monday 18th Nov 2013 I received another update from USPS that the package status is "in pre-shipment" and "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment". that was strange and I contacted the sender about that. he followed up with USPS and learned that the package was being sent back to him.

This is the first time I have been in such situation, although we know where the cues is heading but it's been another 3 days without any update, and I am starting to worry because I don't know how long it takes to return the cues to the sender, why it was sent back to the sender and the current condition of the package.

I am sorry it for the long post, but I want to be clear and ask if anyone has experienced the same before, what can I expect from this, will the return to sender go smoothly. I have no clue right now and I am really worried.

any input would be much appreciated.
Cuong.

How did you ship the cues to the U.S. to begin with? you keep saying the return shipment is coming USPS, that is United States Postal Service, why was it sent this way, for an international shipment it should only have been shipped FedEx.:mad:
 
How did you ship the cues to the U.S. to begin with? you keep saying the return shipment is coming USPS, that is United States Postal Service, why was it sent this way, for an international shipment it should only have been shipped FedEx.:mad:

Why is that? I, along with many others, have used USPS global express exclusively for years. It's a great service, cost effective and very reliable.
 
I don't know if it's the cost of shipping out of the country or what but a lot of people don't like to do it. If the buyer pays the shipping and excepts the liability then why not ship it. I have sent cues all over the world and the first person that lives on the moon and wants one ill ship one their if they want it. Out of country buyers are easy to deal with from my own experience, maybe because they have a hard time getting stuff or people to deal with them.

Now to the question at hand. I have yet to have a problem shipping a cue out of the country and it not arriving when it should but I did have one held up in customs for a lengthy amount of time last year. I don't know about other countries but when coming into the U.S. that is a high possibility.

It's a different question if it has Ivory, EE, or any that other "forbidden fruit"? Importing ain't so easy. And I'm not selling. It's all for my children's collection.
 
Why is that? I, along with many others, have used USPS global express exclusively for years. It's a great service, cost effective and very reliable.

If USPS is so great, why doesn’t Cuong have his cue back by now? The USPS tracking system is outdated, if it was shipped FedEx or even Global UPS he would have had accurate tracking and would have his cue by now.:speechless:
 
If USPS is so great, why doesn’t Cuong have his cue back by now? The USPS tracking system is outdated, if it was shipped FedEx or even Global UPS he would have had accurate tracking and would have his cue by now.:speechless:

Lol...as with life, things aren't always perfect, FedEx included. :speechless:
 
Lol...as with life, things aren't always perfect, FedEx included. :speechless:

Sad but true, when I was selling stuff on flea bay a while back, I had some awful shipping experiences with using USPS for international shipments, while the lower cost was attractive at first, the headaches just weren’t worth it, I started using FedEx and it was smooth sailing after that.

Just the other day I received 2 shafts that were shipped to me from within the CONUS and they were in a long triangle box with a huge crease across the middle, I thought for sure the shafts were toothpicks after seeing the outside of the box, however, inside the shafts were wrapped in bubble wrap and were just fine, I asked the shipper why he didn’t use a tube, and he said he has seen the tubes snap, at least with the triangle box, the box takes the brunt of the beating when the long packages get struck by other packages or stuck on the automated conveyor systems. :eek:
 
Sad but true, when I was selling stuff on flea bay a while back, I had some awful shipping experiences with using USPS for international shipments, while the lower cost was attractive at first, the headaches just weren’t worth it, I started using FedEx and it was smooth sailing after that.

Just the other day I received 2 shafts that were shipped to me from within the CONUS and they were in a long triangle box with a huge crease across the middle, I thought for sure the shafts were toothpicks after seeing the outside of the box, however, inside the shafts were wrapped in bubble wrap and were just fine, I asked the shipper why he didn’t use a tube, and he said he has seen the tubes snap, at least with the triangle box, the box takes the brunt of the beating when the long packages get struck by other packages or stuck on the automated conveyor systems. :eek:

A PVC tube inside the box.....only way I roll now, even if shipping a shaft. Worth the extra few bucks imo. Especially now that the newest version of USPS triangle boxes are thinner *gauge* (?) cardboard than the last version.

By far and away, my experience has been that most international customers specifically request express mail service through USPS. I've had a few glitches and delays, but thankfully nothing lost yet.

I'm hopeful things will work out for the shipper and OP....who is a super solid, good guy !!
 

Attachments

  • new tubes.jpg
    new tubes.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
A PVC tube inside the box.....only way I roll now, even if shipping a shaft. Worth the extra few bucks imo. Especially now that the newest version of USPS triangle boxes are thinner *gauge* (?) cardboard than the last version.

By far and away, my experience has been that most international customers specifically request express mail service through USPS. I've had a few glitches and delays, but thankfully nothing lost yet.

I'm hopefully things will work out for the shipper and OP....who is a super solid, good guy !!

Nice, I have noticed that tubes have a thinner gauge also, cost savings I guess, I have a few of the real thick wall tubes stashed in the back of the closet in case I ever need them.

I also hope Cuong gets his cue back soon, it is a sick feeling not knowing where your stuff is.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your input, guys. I just received an update that the package is back to the US and processed through an USPS facility in New York. I hope the sender receive this soon.

I have shipped cues to other countries and in the customs declaration, the shipping paperwork has to have an option checked on the paperwork in case the package is undeliverable for any reason. I always check the return to sender box as then it does not end up on a airline auction. In my opinion only, the person who sent you the package done the right thing as if any problems arose, at least if the package was still intact, it would go back to the sender. At this moment, I believe all is good and you should be able to track the package back to the sender. Things happen and believe a much larger problem could exist, glad to know your safe. I can't speak on behalf of the sender of coarse, but, if he is like me, maybe not a world news watcher let alone maybe not a local news watcher as like myself, find any news program a waste of my time to watch as here in the states, you just flip channels until you find the news cast you want to hear as each station is usually casting different predictions. I think your good at the moment and hopefully the sender will keep you informed and updated as they should.
Again, just my opinion, but, kind of a uncontrollable situation for the sender.
Chuck

I agree that the sender did the right thing, and the package is going the right way. I am just very worried as experiences other shared that the return shipping would take from weeks to months, and we never know what would happen to the package during that long transit.

this situation is clearly uncontrollable for both sender and recipient, but it would have been avoided before sending, I am still positive about this because the sender is very supportive and the package is still moving, but a bit anxiety is understandable.

How did you ship the cues to the U.S. to begin with? you keep saying the return shipment is coming USPS, that is United States Postal Service, why was it sent this way, for an international shipment it should only have been shipped FedEx.:mad:

the sender shipped USPS because I chose that option, they clearly have every option, DHL, Fedex, but I used USPS because I have received 20+ cues from the US shipped to me by USPS without any problem, and they always come just after the weekend.

I shipped my cues to them by EMS (Express Mail Service), which is a worldwide postal service and called USPS in the US, the service I used was equivalent to USPS express mail international and the cues reached my repairman in 5 days.

I received a few packages shipped by Fedex/DHL, those were promotion goods/gifts/awards for online contests by ESPN, and I always had to come to their office to collect, I don't know why but I don't feel comfortable with their service, in comparison with USPS.
 
Thanks for your input, guys. I just received an update that the package is back to the US and processed through an USPS facility in New York. I hope the sender receive this soon.



I agree that the sender did the right thing, and the package is going the right way. I am just very worried as experiences other shared that the return shipping would take from weeks to months, and we never know what would happen to the package during that long transit.

this situation is clearly uncontrollable for both sender and recipient, but it would have been avoided before sending, I am still positive about this because the sender is very supportive and the package is still moving, but a bit anxiety is understandable.



the sender shipped USPS because I chose that option, they clearly have every option, DHL, Fedex, but I used USPS because I have received 20+ cues from the US shipped to me by USPS without any problem, and they always come just after the weekend.

I shipped my cues to them by EMS (Express Mail Service), which is a worldwide postal service and called USPS in the US, the service I used was equivalent to USPS express mail international and the cues reached my repairman in 5 days.

I received a few packages shipped by Fedex/DHL, those were promotion goods/gifts/awards for online contests by ESPN, and I always had to come to their office to collect, I don't know why but I don't feel comfortable with their service, in comparison with USPS.

I hate when they do that, of course they are only open during the hours you are at work, and you still have to wait in line. Sounds like the USPS deal works best for you in your area, I hope you get your cue soon.:thumbup:
 
Back
Top