Old Guard?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he thought that Archer is such a known entity in pool that he didn’t need to require posting
Madoff was a known entity too at one time- just ask all the folks who invested millions with him on his "so called" reputation. Money and trust almost never go together- unfortunately.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like remebering them at the top of their games. Watching them play so-so/bad has zero interest for me.
Understood. but guys like John McEnroe still play in exhibition matches, and people watch (including me), not because they can beat the current pros, but for the memories and trash talking, and the occasional fantastic shot that you didnt think they could still pull off. I think there is a market for a senior tour.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what was Oscar’s explanation for why he didn’t make Archer post the $ beforehand?
Oscar's explanation for not posting beforehand didn't make much sense.

I wonder what Oscar's stakehorse said when they didn't get paid right after the match?

nopost.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember the "Legends" play on TV. Some of it is on youtube now. I found it some of the most entertaining pool I have ever watched. I think that this series could have went on pretty much forever with new players were added as old ones were no longer available to play.

Fats or UJ Puckett on a table and there was guaranteed to be some humor. Both on one table and it was high comedy. Another chuckle was I think Luther and UJ chasing a fly much of their match. I think it was Luther that finally swatted it out of midair with the shaft of his stick. How is that for hand/eye coordination?

The old guys don't play like they did when they were thirty. Then again, damned few thirty year olds today play like they did when they were thirty!

I would rather watch an old timers tour with some life in it than most events today.

Hu

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Years ago Miz organized an organized ‘seniors’s tour, wouldn’t it be nice if something like that were to be done again.
I don’t what kind of shape those guys are in but I’m sure they could still play pretty well. I’m thinking Rempe, Varner, Hall, Sigel, and Earl just to name a few. Maybe Efren could even to fly over for just such an event!
Pat had mentioned maybe putting something together in the form of a Seniors Event through Accu Stats. Not sure on logistics, and I wouldn't count on it any time soon with all of his focus on the International at the moment. However, I'd gladly pony up some dough to attend that event. It is my favorite pool era and when I first picked up a cue, those guys were nearing the end of their careers but were talked about with total reverence.

L.S. Dennis

Pat had mentioned maybe putting something together in the form of a Seniors Event through Accu Stats. Not sure on logistics, and I wouldn't count on it any time soon with all of his focus on the International at the moment. However, I'd gladly pony up some dough to attend that event. It is my favorite pool era and when I first picked up a cue, those guys were nearing the end of their careers but were talked about with total reverence.
Yeah I’d pay to see it. Maybe the proceeds could be donated to charity or something.
No matter what kind of shape those guys are in you can bet that to a person they would be playing their best to win.
Understandably these guys wouldn’t be playing like they once did, but if viewed with that prospective in mind it would be a lot of fun to watch.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much is heard of these day about what I consider the ‘old guard’ of pool players. By old guard I’m referring to those older than Johnny Archer. Johnny is kind of the middle point between them and what is considered the new generation in pool these days.

Anyone know what these guys are doing these days? Just wondering…

Hanging out at home or hanging out at the cemetery. Someone mentioned Diliberto, he is still doing commentary along with Billy. I have not seen anyone much aside from Archer, Bustie or Strickland be involved in tournaments. Efren still plays also here and there, I don't remember seeing anyone older than that group still be active in the sport, if that was the real question vs just what they are doing. I mean they may be in some IHOP ordering pancakes right now.

L.S. Dennis

I remember the "Legends" play on TV. Some of it is on youtube now. I found it some of the most entertaining pool I have ever watched. I think that this series could have went on pretty much forever with new players were added as old ones were no longer available to play.

Fats or UJ Puckett on a table and there was guaranteed to be some humor. Both on one table and it was high comedy. Another chuckle was I think Luther and UJ chasing a fly much of their match. I think it was Luther that finally swatted it out of midair with the shaft of his stick. How is that for hand/eye coordination?

The old guys don't play like they did when they were thirty. Then again, damned few thirty year olds today play like they did when they were thirty!

I would rather watch an old timers tour with some life in it than most events today.

Hu
I tend to agree, at least the ‘old guard’ generation of player were ‘colorful’ repleat with stories and folk lore unlimited.
The players of today, great shooters as they are are as interesting to watch as paint drying. Most of them seem like straight shooting business like drones. They shoot as straight as any generation though, but the back room stories and folk lore is what makes pool so interesting. Bob Byrnes’ wonderful book “McGoorty“is a perfect example.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I tend to agree, at least the ‘old guard’ generation of player were ‘colorful’ repleat with stories and folk lore unlimited.
The players of today, great shooters as they are are as interesting to watch as paint drying. Most of them seem like straight shooting business like drones. They shoot as straight as any generation though, but the back room stories and folk lore is what makes pool so interesting. Bob Byrnes’ wonderful book “McGoorty“is a perfect example.
It might not be as colorful as the road player days, but pros still play for dough, just it's all on the level and you know what you are getting into.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might not be as colorful as the road player days, but pros still play for dough, just it's all on the level and you know what you are getting into.
They are “Milk drinkers” these days. Drugs and booze made for colorful people.

keeping it real
Fatboy😀🥛

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I hope you don't really believe this
Well, we're talking recognized pros. If you make a match with them you know who they are. I guess there could be a few looking for some unsuspecting victims, but it doesn't seem like the main method as it was years ago.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
regarding the discussion about pool's lack of colorful pros today, it's quite simple:

pros today need sponsors to make a living. sponsors like pro players who are well-behaved, clean cut and sober.

pros yesterday needed gambling and exhibition gigs to stay afloat. of course they would have more color.

i think there are a few colorful pros out there, filler, alex, oi, deluna to name a few.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to ask one serious question, not a knock.

Do you really think pool action at the pro level is “all on the level” these days? And when did it all become that way?

I’m not saying all pool is biz, but let’s not drink the Kool-Aid, not all pool is what it appears to be…….

Keeping it real, like it or not,
Fatboy😀