Old Palmer 1/16" metal rings

well I can't say what palmers are made of but I buy flat aluminum stock....cut them out with a drill press, jig and a 1 1/2 inch hole saw...then clean them up on a mandrel on the lathe ....then drill them to the size I need and then debur them again and put them in a press to flaten them out....its a lot of labor for 1/16 aluminum rings....there again I do all my rings like that.....I just talked to a machine shop about building a die or two for cutting rings so that will be lighting fast.......how many rings do you need?
 
Just one. If they are alum. I could just machine one on the lathe. Sometimes the easiest answers are the ones I don't think about.

Now if someone can verify that they are alum. please.

Larry
 
What are the made of and does anyone have one they wish to sell?

Larry

How old is old?

IIRC - from the mid 70s on they were SS.
In the 'let's copy Frank Paradise' 60s - Aluminum.

If you want to be sure - contact TATE - the source for all things Palmer

Dale
 
I think He said it was a model 15. I will see the owner this afternoon and ask him.

Thanks Dale!

Larry
 
yeah I do it the hard way...I could just buy a 1 3/8 rod of aluminum but the flat stock is avalible at lowes and only 4 dollars for 4 foot....you get alot of rings for the price....tip if you do it this way....make alot of them at one time.
 
I've also made unusually thick aluminum rings out of flat stock. I had one type of aircraft grade stuff that buffed out so well, that based on looks alone It was hard to tell the difference in It and stainless. There are several ways to accomplish the same thing, and It's been a while, but I think what I did was start with a thicker piece then My actual finished ring thickness, I cut a circle out with My milling machine and a large hole saw. Stuck the piece in the jaws of the lathe, Drilled and bored the ID, then faced each side to the final thickness. In the end It produced a really nice looking ring.
 
Back
Top