Older Pool Halls

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i own " chalk and cue " pool hall in st joe missouri.
i bought into a partnership with owner on july of 2018. and bought him out in jan 2020
i havent opened up cause of covid and finishing up some of my construction projects before i open it up
this spring.
its been there since i think 1958 or something like that
upstairs pool hall

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought into a partnership with owner on july of 2018. and bought him out in jan 2020
i havent opened up cause of covid and finishing up some of my construction projects before i open it up
this spring.
upstairs pool hall
I know a guy who ran that at one time, a guy named Jim Melton from Oklahoma.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s a place that seems to get overlooked....Peoples on Beale St...in downtown Memphis.
...every table is a gem....and they seem to make a living.
i didn’t know about the place in ‘89....and I caught Delbert McClinton live just around the corner.

View attachment 584691
Damn, that does look awesome. The problem is it’s on Beale street. I was there right when Covid started and was scared to walk down the street. It looked really sketchy.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
this spring.
upstairs pool hall

A few pictures would be nice, a few more when you are ready to open. I like old places in general, old pool halls in particular!

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where I grew up in Dayton the oldest poolroom was the Red, White and Blue, first poolroom I ever snuck into back in 1959. It was old then, a relic of the 1920's. It lasted until the late 70's and then one day it was gone. There were so many great old poolrooms when I was a kid, back in the 60's. When I see these photos it makes me feel right at home in any of them.

I had an idea for a "throwback" style poolroom that looked like what we see here. I wanted to find the older mechanical pinball machines, baseball game where one player pitched and the other player hit, shooting gallery with the bear with the electric eye, and the bowling machine with the sliding disc. I think people would love to play these games. Then you need to make a great roast beef sandwich, hofbrau style. Beer is all you need along with that. I know damn well it would work if you could find the right location and had the energy to work it. It would be perfect for one of you younger guys (50 or younger).

My favorites back then were 7/11 in New York City, The Palace in SF and Main St. Billiards in downtown L.A. (it survived until about 2000).

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes i will definately post some pics when we open.
the summer of 2018. my family and i re painted the place and built a lot of built in tables and put a kitchen in the place as the previous owner didnt care about feeding the patrons. so we put a kitchen in there.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who ran that at one time, a guy named Jim Melton from Oklahoma.
oh yeah. i didnt know him.
the guy i bought it from ran it for almost 15 years. and his dad gave it to him which his dad ran it for about the same amount of time.
its a great old room.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, that does look awesome. The problem is it’s on Beale street. I was there right when Covid started and was scared to walk down the street. It looked really sketchy.
Should have seen it before they re-did it. Good music clubs and i've been there a few times with zero problems.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always wanted to shoot on a Gabriel. How would you say it plays compared to a 1947 Anniversary (I used to own one of those)?
I've no clue how our Gabriel's would compare to an Anniversary. I used to have a Kling, which played much easier than our Gabriel's, but that's due to our Ernesto altered pocket specs. Most compare Gabriel's to Diamond's. If I can ever figure out how to post pics on here, I'll try to post one - as the one shown above really doesn't show much.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've no clue how our Gabriel's would compare to an Anniversary. I used to have a Kling, which played much easier than our Gabriel's, but that's due to our Ernesto altered pocket specs. Most compare Gabriel's to Diamond's. If I can ever figure out how to post pics on here, I'll try to post one - as the one shown above really doesn't show much.
That would be great if you could post pics. I have played on Diamonds. I'm a banker and honestly do not like how Diamonds bank.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The oldest poolroom in the Los Angeles area is Joe Jost in Long Beach, CA. It opened in 1924, closed now because of the pandemic but it will reopen soon. It's kind of a bar/pub/poolroom, much like the older ones we are seeing on here. It's still a major hangout place in Long Beach and will be again I'm sure.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should have seen it before they re-did it. Good music clubs and i've been there a few times with zero problems.
Me too. Been partying with customers there for over twenty years. Had one of my most favorite meals ever at The Butcher Shop (I think that’s what it was named) We had a private room, the guests were a mix of various ages and demographics, but everyone laughed the entire night. My stomach actually hurt from laughing the next day. Might’ve been the ‘97 Silver Oak that was flowing the whole night.

But the place has changed. I didn’t feel safe walking around last time I was there a year or so ago and don’t really plan on going back.
But I sure as hell wish I had known that cool pool room was right around the corner.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
The oldest poolroom in the Los Angeles area is Joe Jost in Long Beach, CA. It opened in 1924, closed now because of the pandemic but it will reopen soon. It's kind of a bar/pub/poolroom, much like the older ones we are seeing on here. It's still a major hangout place in Long Beach and will be again I'm sure.
Yeah, great place Jay. Don't miss the pickled eggs. They're great too but make you fart like a champ!

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darn it, I was in KC a month ago and drove to Shooters for action. I would have at least played some there if I only knew.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I played there a few years ago, ordered pickled eggs and peppers with pretzels. There was plenty of cool things on the walls to check out. I am glad that the place will reopen.