Olhausen Out - Diamond Pro-Am In

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
It was time to buy a Pro-Am and I did. Thanks for guidance from Glen Hancock and a fine installation by Mark Estes of Las Vegas.

Gone
old Olhausen.jpg

In (Poor photo doesn't do it justice)
New Diamond.jpg

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
olhausen looked better for the layout of the house.
but of course the diamond is a better table for an advanced avid player.

the diamond if installed correctly will spit out less shots than the olhausen in the corners.
otherwise both play about the same in reality.

i would have just kept the olhausen and had the pockets fixed if it were me for your house.
buts thats me and not you. nice table.

and i like the pockets better for being quiet in the olhausen if peole are sleeping while you play.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
olhausen looked better for the layout of the house.
but of course the diamond is a better table for an advanced avid player.

the diamond if installed correctly will spit out less shots than the olhausen in the corners.
otherwise both play about the same in reality.

i would have just kept the olhausen and had the pockets fixed if it were me for your house.
buts thats me and not you. nice table.
maha: "olhausen looked better for the layout of the house."
I agree it did look better, but my pre-teen grandchildren would have destroyed the rails as they are beautiful but delicate. The PRC rails on the Pro-Am will take a beating. And I think the black filled routings for the Diamond logo make it look more like a residential table.

maha: "I would have just kept the Olhausen and had the pockets fixed."
I did have the pockets fixed using Glen's solution. Mark Estes redid the pockets with Diamond 3/16" facings. I lost 1/8" in the pocket but it lessened the rattle a great deal. The Pro-Am hasn't rejected any decent shot down the rail yet.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
What playability improvements have you noticed?

pj
chgo
Maybe some of it is in my mind but it seems to play better than the Olhausen. Even with the pocket fix the Olhausen still had some rattle on well hit shots down the rails at speed. The Pro-Am's Pro-Cut pockets seem more accepting/forgiving than the Olhausen. I did gain 1/8" on the pockets. The Olhausen had 860 and the Pro-Am has 860HR. HR seems a bit faster. The Diamond will outlive me and my grandchildren.

Nice set up. I have the exact same 7' Olhausen table set up in my house, I had my pockets shimmed up to get to 4.5" like a diamond and added the 860 HR cloth, but it still doesnt play as tight or hard as a diamond though it IS close. I think the main difference is the shelf deeper in the Diamond makes it harder. I can get by with not being as accurate at home on this table. I also have two Diamond Pro Ams at our Table Titan Streaming Colosseum, one a 7' and one a 9'. The 7' just cant be beat, at some point I'll sell this Olhausen and add another Diamond for home but it gets the job done for now while trying to stay in stroke.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Nice set up. I have the exact same 7' Olhausen table set up in my house.
Both those Olhausen and the Pro-Am tables are 8' tables. The Pro-Am 8' table has a larger playing area than the Olhausen (45"x90" vs 44"x88"). The Pro-Am also has a bigger footprint (59"x104" vs 53.5x97.5). Both are great tables.

Both those Olhausen and the Pro-Am tables are 8' tables. The Pro-Am 8' table has a larger playing area than the Olhausen (45"x90" vs 44"x88"). The Pro-Am also has a bigger footprint (59"x104" vs 53.5x97.5). Both are great tables.
Ah, very cool! I wish I had room at home for an 8', it was my first choice but just couldnt make it work. Enjoy the new table, and thanks for your service!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who are the people in the photos at the top right?
Hard to see but they look military to me.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marines in my infantry squad with 26th Marines in Vietnam in 1969. Four others in the squad are in pictures on the right side of the Quang Nam Province map.
Thought so .
I was in the Corps at Chu Lai just south of Danang,Quang Nam province
I was there for TET ,what a fireworks show that was.
159 rockets and one hit the staged bombs at the bomb dump huge fireball.
I was on the south perimeter about a couple hundred yards away,it looked like a mini nuke going up.
Jumped in the bunker and got as small as possible.

Last edited:

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I missed the fun at TET. I was very fortunate to be on a Med Cruise with 6th Marines before deployment to RVN.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the big thing isnt the table but that you now have the setup that you want and are happy with it. that is what life is about finding solutions that work for you that you like over what you dont. good luck.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
And I like the pockets better for being quiet in the Olhausen if people are sleeping while you play.
There is nobody near this table that could be disturbed by the noise the ball return may make. That said, the Pro-Am ball return is about as quiet as I've ever heard. And Glen's tip about using six carwash sponges, makes any ball return table a drop pocket table if needed. I did like the Olhausen, it's a beautiful table.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a first for me. The standard 8' was always a 44"x 88" playing surface and the oversized 8' was 46"x 92". Never heard of a 45"x 90" before.