Olhausen rattle, is this a good fix?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP's issue wasn't what you are experiencing. The mouth of his pockets were cut too wide (common Olhausen issue) which resulted in balls hitting the facing and rattling. Your issue is a simple fix. Mark the pocket liner where it should terminate, remove it, trim it to fit, reinstall.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the challenge is getting the seller of the table to agree that there is an issue..
There isn't an issue, it just a poor installation job. If you're looking to buy the table and hire a quality mechanic, it will not be an issue when it is installed in your location. The pocket liners should have been trimmed to fit when the table was installed.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Dealer came by yesterday, fixed the issues, and installed SImonis 860 cloth. Table rolls much better now. I'm a happy camper.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dealer came by yesterday, fixed the issues, and installed SImonis 860 cloth. Table rolls much better now. I'm a happy camper.
Just out of curiosity, how did having the pockets liners trimmed affect the roll?

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
They re-leveled the table and pulled the pocket edges back tight to the ends of the rails so I don't rattle the ball off the pocket edge. If I hit the end of the rail, I now tend to bounce in, vs out, as before. The previous edges looked like this:

pocket.jpg

The comparison of the previously installed "competition" cloth, 6 months old, to Simonis 860 is like two whole different worlds. As most of my league play is on fast cloth on 7' tables and I was practicing on an 8' with slow cloth, I no longer have to adjust my stroke speed and spin nearly as much as I move from my home table to a pool hall / bar table. I am enjoying my home table far more now.

FYI - 8' Olhausen, 4-1/2" corners, 5" sides, Simonis 860 Tournament Blue. I think the previous pockets reduced my corner size to just over 4" which is way beyond my skill level.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Situation has gotten much worse. Pocket leather now delaminating and has effectively reduced the corner pocket width by .375"

Facings are no longer the measure for pocket width, the leather of the pocket is. The issue is now that when they put the new Simonis cloth on the table, they put nails through the pockets and through the cloth. Now, if they trim the pockets back, I'll have holes in the 860 in every corner..

This is how the pockets are delaminating, this table is six months old...

Pocket 1.JPG
Pocket 2.JPG

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Situation has gotten much worse. Pocket leather now delaminating and has effectively reduced the corner pocket width by .375"

Facings are no longer the measure for pocket width, the leather of the pocket is. The issue is now that when they put the new Simonis cloth on the table, they put nails through the pockets and through the cloth. Now, if they trim the pockets back, I'll have holes in the 860 in every corner..

This is how the pockets are delaminating, this table is six months old...

View attachment 694170View attachment 694171
The pocket liners have no bearing on pocketing balls. If you look at the pocket liner vs the pocket shelf, you'll clearly see there's no pocket shelf for balls to sit on when they come into contact with the pocket liners. Nailing those pockets in is the only way to mount them as well.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The pocket liners have no bearing on pocketing balls. If you look at the pocket liner vs the pocket shelf, you'll clearly see there's no pocket shelf for balls to sit on when they come into contact with the pocket liners. Nailing those pockets in is the only way to mount them as well.

I think I may have a different opinion than you on this one. If you look at the pocket liner, as you suggest, you can clearly see that the shelf is still well under the balls. Not sure what you are seeing that is different...

1680065890359.png

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They look like they need to be trimmed back to me. I don't understand what the issue is. I highly doubt the liners are spitting balls out. Maybe, maybe on a very, very slow rolling ball.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'd like to trim them back as suggested but the installer placed the nails in a place so that the nails are not into the rails but through the cloth and into the facing. I'm concerned that if I cut them back, I'll have exposed holes in my brand new 860. Quite a disappointment on a table that is less than one year old, already on its second cloth, and having issues.

Olhausen has a lifetime warranty but it doesn't cover installer issues

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to trim them back as suggested but the installer placed the nails in a place so that the nails are not into the rails but through the cloth and into the facing. I'm concerned that if I cut them back, I'll have exposed holes in my brand new 860. Quite a disappointment on a table that is less than one year old, already on its second cloth, and having issues.

Olhausen has a lifetime warranty but it doesn't cover installer issues
Only one way to find out. I’d rather live with the potential small holes vs improperly trimmed pockets improperly fastened.