Omega DPK for sale

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
so, does Ray kmow who made the blank? Also, how much work was done to it? Lastly, why did this guys dad have unfinished blanks from Omega? Just curious. It's a very nice finished product!

There is really no way of telling exactly which cue maker made the blank for this cue. Each cue maker didn't sign his own or anything like that. A pin was put in the blank, then it was wrapped and sprayed. Two shafts with the parabolic taper were added, and now it has a new life outside of the closet. Darrin Hill did this work.

Why did this guy's father have unfinished Omega blanks? That I do not know, but it's not entirely un-common. For example, I know people who have unfinished Spain and Hercek blanks in their collections. Some guys buy finished cues and never hit with them. With the likes of Bender and Kersenbrock creating magic at Omega, he may have had the foresight to know that they would be highly sought after in the future.
Mr H

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Omega Project

Hi, The parabolic tapered shafts were made at my shop on our table saw shaft machine and we installed our 3\8 14 pin at Darrin's shop. This Omega Pin spec. that we use on our cues we had made at a screw machine company 6 years ago. My partner and mentor Ray Hernandez is a tool & die engineer and before we started building cues together he told me that as a precursor to our partnership that he insisted that we use this pin because of it's superior performance as a cue joint pin. Our pin was made to form the exact profile and contour as we placed the Omega Pin in an optical comparator. Darrin completed the cue at his shop as Mr. Hoppe wanted to get it finished and on Ebay one week before SBE. Rick Geschrey

Last edited:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I just weighed the shafts, and they are an amazing 4.4 and 4.5 oz! That makes the cue 19.1 or 19.2 depending on the shaft. Why am I not playing with this cue right now??? :banghead:

Mr H

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Is that the same 3/8 x 14 pin used by Mike Bender ?

I honestly don't know what Mike is using today. However, for these Omega cues we went through the trouble and expense of producing a pin that is a perfect dimentional match to what was used at Omega at the time. The optical comparator that Rick mentioned above is a tool used to guarantee this exact match to a rediculous degree of accuracy. The pin is chrome plated brass. This pin, along with a specific pin installation technique learned by Ray while working at Omega, and the shaft inserts, contribute significantly to the Omega hit.
Mr H

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Pin Info

As Mr. Hoppe said, our pin is an exact duplicate of the Omega pin's interference fit geometry. As for Mike Bender's pin, I believe his are Stainless Steel with a chamfer angle at the top. Our pin is rounded at the top. If you look at the pins Omega used you will find that their pin cosmetically evolved several times over the years from a plain brass pin to the stainless. I believe that they had flat, round and chamfered tops. However, all the pins had the same 3\8-14 geometry with the .304 minor diameter as an exacting locater. Ed Young also uses a pin that is very similar! My friend, the late John Wright was also my neighbor here in Palatine and I learned a lot from his expertise about Omega Cues. Rick Geschrey

Last edited:

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 98.9%
93   1   0
I just returned from Darrin Hills shop. I looked at this butt. I'm not a cue maker so I can't say anything about how it's made or straightness, but I can say that Darrin did an excellent job on finishing this butt. Someone's going to get a very nice cue.