OMGWTF v CUBC Game #1 How would you play this?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this would be fun to do since we all have access to this video. This first diagram is from the very first game. OMGWTF had just made a great shot to get shape on the 3-ball and positioned for a 4-5 combination which she proceeded to miss. Had she fallen straight on the combination, she likely gets out but considering her position, what options were available to her? How would you have played it from here?

CueTable Help

 
i actually would have drawn the ball up table and tried to get between the 4/5, it looked to me like the had the angle to do it. or play shape for a bank on the 4. the pockets are too tight and the balls were too far apart in my opinion
 
From that position I'd probably play the combo also. It's not easy, but the table's too wide-open to try a mediocre safe.

The only other option I like is a duck - hit the left side of the 4-ball and try to bank it one rail down table to the foot rail, between the 6 and the 9. Some force follow should leave the cue ball up near the head rail. Leaves CubC with a long bank and a lot of cueball movement to get back in line.
 
Play the 4-5 combo, but play the 4 off the rail to make the 5. At the same time, the 4 lays up for a shot into the corner.
 
MBTaylor said:
Play the 4-5 combo, but play the 4 off the rail to make the 5. At the same time, the 4 lays up for a shot into the corner.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's a more natural hit on the 4 as well. That's just my preference on those types of shots.
 
Personally, I like almost every safety option, especially one that sends the 4-ball near the 6 and I'll tell you why - it makes for a lot of traveling. Now, I know CUBC can shoot a little, even after only a few minutes of watching I can see that however, I'm going to make him work for this first win. There's a lot that can go wrong and I want to give him an opportunity to make a mistake.

By missing the combination, there's a real good chance you're completely selling out since YOU HAVE TO play position for the 4-ball. Once again, if I'm straight on the angle, I like the combination A LOT more but the more angle and distance I have, the less I like it.
 
Karate said:

CueTable Help


I don't like that safe quite as much because I find it hard to control the distance of the 4-ball with that thin of a hit. It's easy to hit it too soft and leave the upper right pocket in play, or too hard and leave the upper left pocket in play. If you had the angle to go one-rail to the middle of the head rail I'd like it, but that Z-shape with the object ball makes the speed tough.
 
Neil said:
I don't like bringing the 4 down by the six. If you don't hit it real good, There's a carom to the 9. Why give that chance for a quick win?

I know playing safe near the 9 is never a perfect option, but here the 9-ball is over a diamond away from the pocket. It's a tight table, and the cue ball will be all the way down at the other end. I'd let anybody shoot that carom all day long. You're much more likely to hang it up in the pocket than to make it.
 
Karate said:

CueTable Help



I agree with this play, only maybe play the cue 3 rails with reverse and park whitey by the 6, and if you hit too strong you leave the opponent a longer combo on the same balls or a long bank to sell the farm on.

td
 
Neil said:
Yeah, that's what I thought Sun. nite in a little tourney. two different D players stuck it to me on a tight diamond to knock me out. They didn't make it where they tried to. They slammed it and slopped it in somewhere else. Why give them the chance to get lucky? Leave the 4 on the short rail by the 5. You might even be able to hook them.


I think you're letting recent events influence your decisions. The fact is, the 9-ball is a non-issue unless you leave the shot wired which is incredibly unlikely. I'm serious, if my opponent were winding up to whack at the 9-ball, I would be at the edge of my seat with my cue in hand.
 
With the balls this wide open, I'm not playing safe. The next person to pocket a ball is a huge favorite to win the rack, and I think I have a significantly better chance of pocketing this combo than ensuring my opponent doesn't get a shot. I'd play the combo softly, the 4 into the 5 as full as I can manage. Played at pocket speed, the 4 will hold in front of the pocket. If I miss I sell out completely, but if I make the shot I'm out. And I feel I'm a solid favorite to make the shot, if I use pocket speed.

-Andrew
 
The more I look at the other posted safety by banking the 4, I have a couple of concerns.

1) Maybe getting a double-kiss when banking. (looks like just high english was used).
2) the speed looks too long on the 4 for the distance that the CB is traveling. I think the CB may come back up table further.

I know that this is just the WEI table and I would have to feel comfortable at the table before shooting this proposed shot, but, I might try this shot below with low-right when striking the CB.

This would eliminate any possibility of the double-kiss, slow the CB down and insure with the speed used that I bank the 4 two rails. It also gives me a chance to come in behind the 6 for a possible hook. (The 6 is a BIG ball in this position and coming in at this angle). JMO

CueTable Help

 
Back
Top