On business in DC. Where do you play?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that you mention a really good APA team when trying to illustrate the quality of players there only proves JAM's point.

BTW my best AZ pool outing ever was in DC. I believe we all went to Breakers in Herndon but fun and alcohol were the main goals not quality pool play.

Amen, AZBro! We enjoyed you too.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're staying in Crystal City, I'd recommend Lucy's but I can't pass up another opportunity to plug my favorite pool hall, First Break in Sterling VA. It's about an hour drive from Crystal City in non-rush hour, 1.5 hours in rush hour. Late at night I can make it in about 45 minutes.

goldcrown4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not true. Buffalo Billiards has nice 4.5x9 tables and is in the heart of DC, in a nice area.

Does BB still have the 12 ft snooker table too? It has been years since I was there last... Mardi Gras weekend... that I do remember.

goldcrown4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW my best AZ pool outing ever was in DC. I believe we all went to Breakers in Herndon but fun and alcohol were the main goals not quality pool play.

Breakers is where I used to shoot in one of three leagues. Before the owners sold (Rob and the late Bob Casteel), they had all 9 ft 6 legged Connolly Ultimates (2 inch slate versions). After change of ownership, it is my understanding they have all Gold Crowns now, and it's more of a nightclub atmosphere. Bungalow Billiards (Chantilly, and Sterling... maybe more locations now) have Medalist 9 footers, but the Shark Club in Centreville had all 9 ft Diamond Professionals, and were well maintained. Now keep in mind I left traffic-hell in 2001.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Breakers is where I used to shoot in one of three leagues. Before the owners sold (Rob and the late Bob Casteel), they had all 9 ft 6 legged Connolly Ultimates (2 inch slate versions). After change of ownership, it is my understanding they have all Gold Crowns now, and it's more of a nightclub atmosphere. Bungalow Billiards (Chantilly, and Sterling... maybe more locations now) have Medalist 9 footers, but the Shark Club in Centreville had all 9 ft Diamond Professionals, and were well maintained. Now keep in mind I left traffic-hell in 2001.

Shark club's tables are no longer well-maintained in the slightest, sad to say.

First Break in Sterling gets my vote for the quality equipment award. For the "where the players are" award, I don't even know anymore. I guess Springfield.

-Andrew

goldcrown4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First Break in Sterling gets my vote for the quality equipment award. For the "where the players are" award, I don't even know anymore. I guess Springfield.

-Andrew

Sad is right... for players, that used to be a great place to go. Servers would bring drinks in, and wipe the table rails as they went by. Kinda forgot about First Break... smaller place, but that is where the more serious players would end up... even early on Sunday mornings! Tell me, is Bungalows still open?

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-Andrew

I have played all over the DC area and I must say that Frederick has the best pool players, IMHO. Most are at Champion Billiards on Buckeystown Pike now that All Star has closed. Not to say that there are no good players everywhere else, just not as many congregated in one place - Thurs night Masters division.