On The Road - Who/Where/When/How/Why?

It does sound like I great place, although I have to admit I'm a little confused between hard times in LA and the one in sacramento - which one is the best place?

When Hard Times is mentioned, it is almost always referring to the Hard Times in Bellflower. Although it is not like the old days when you would see 10-20 pros walking around, including Efren, it still remains a proving grounds for testing your skills. If you can hang there, you can probably hang in all pool rooms across America. Good luck.

Ghost
 
1pRoscoe said:
I think every post you have made online in any forum has been trying to set up a game for Corey. Even went as far as "bidding" to play golf and a 1 hour lesson for $500+.

After the expenses for the guy to play golf and eat breakfest, lunch and dinner with us there was $112 left over to give to Corey. The guy ended up spending about 14 hours that day with Corey asking questions taking pictures and getting lessons, of which I think Corey spent about 2 hours teaching and played him a couple races to 7 after the lessons. The guy was extreamlly happy with the deal and would love to do it again if we ever get another opening. The guy also got to meet, get a picture and a few golf tips from my friend Ben Curtis that won the 2003 British Open. I think that comes to about $8 an hour that Corey got that day while the experence that the guy got to him was priceless. About me only trying to set up money games for Corey was because Niels, Mika, Troy, Shawn, Gabe and Fabio weren't available. amc4
 
Been there - Done that - for 26 years!

I started going "On The Road" when I was 18. It was 1964. Pool & Pool Players were much different in those days.

Every City & Town had their Best player. He was almost obligated to play a "Road Player" to defend his throne. He wasn't really aware of how good the game could be played and felt that when he was "In Stroke", he couldn't be beat.

There were 2 different types of "Road Players" back in the 60's, 70's & 80's.
A. - There was the "Louie" type - Went into the action poolroom and announced that he was there to beat the best.
B. - There was the "Hustler" type who knew Who, Where & How to "Get The Cash" before going into a poolroom.
Johnston City, IL & the Jansco Bros. brought both types together once a year. "It Was Great"!

The people who have responded in this thread are 100% correct when they say - "It can't be done anymore because of the expenses and notoriety that TV and communication have done".

The attitude of the Players & Backers has also changed from yesteryear. Back then if a gambler won or lost, (but stayed in action), he was "A Sport".
Now he is considered "A Sucker".

The Action & Opportunities for a good "Road Player" back then were best in The South but also good everywhere else. It was a great time to be good & young with no real responsibilities except to - Keep on playing & Try to eat pretty regularly.

The good players of today have it much different & harder. They have to go into an action spot and someone or maybe everyone will know them. They have to just "Belly Up" and play their hearts out to usually beat another good player on his own equipment. Of course they wouldn't be there if they didn't think they would win. What they "Bring To The Table" IS "New Money" but without a good line of shit and a little hustle, they either won't get action OR won't like the action they get.

As I see it, the best hope for a Pool Player today is for there to be enough good tournaments WITH action (Like The Derby City Classic) to be able to either win enough prize money via the tourney OR win enough in action to exist.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with real responsibilities. I would only encourage someone to try it if they were Very good, Very smart, Very young and maybe a little heavy so as to be able to miss a meal once in a while.

TY & GL

Ps - JAM - I enjoyed the interview with Keith very much and being one to never pass up an opportunity to promote, I would like to mention another "Good Read" about two very different Lives Of A Pool Player back in the 60's, 70's & 80's - The St, Louie, Louie-OHB Poster that is selling on this site.
 
OldHasBeen said:
I started going "On The Road" when I was 18. It was 1964. Pool & Pool Players were much different in those days.

Every City & Town had their Best player. He was almost obligated to play a "Road Player" to defend his throne. He wasn't really aware of how good the game could be played and felt that when he was "In Stroke", he couldn't be beat.

There were 2 different types of "Road Players" back in the 60's, 70's & 80's.
A. - There was the "Louie" type - Went into the action poolroom and announced that he was there to beat the best.
B. - There was the "Hustler" type who knew Who, Where & How to "Get The Cash" before going into a poolroom.
Johnston City, IL & the Jansco Bros. brought both types together once a year. "It Was Great"!

The people who have responded in this thread are 100% correct when they say - "It can't be done anymore because of the expenses and notoriety that TV and communication have done".

The attitude of the Players & Backers has also changed from yesteryear. Back then if a gambler won or lost, (but stayed in action), he was "A Sport".
Now he is considered "A Sucker".

The Action & Opportunities for a good "Road Player" back then were best in The South but also good everywhere else. It was a great time to be good & young with no real responsibilities except to - Keep on playing & Try to eat pretty regularly.

The good players of today have it much different & harder. They have to go into an action spot and someone or maybe everyone will know them. They have to just "Belly Up" and play their hearts out to usually beat another good player on his own equipment. Of course they wouldn't be there if they didn't think they would win. What they "Bring To The Table" IS "New Money" but without a good line of shit and a little hustle, they either won't get action OR won't like the action they get.

As I see it, the best hope for a Pool Player today is for there to be enough good tournaments WITH action (Like The Derby City Classic) to be able to either win enough prize money via the tourney OR win enough in action to exist.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with real responsibilities. I would only encourage someone to try it if they were Very good, Very smart, Very young and maybe a little heavy so as to be able to miss a meal once in a while.

TY & GL

Ps - JAM - I enjoyed the interview with Keith very much and being one to never pass up an opportunity to promote, I would like to mention another "Good Read" about two very different Lives Of A Pool Player back in the 60's, 70's & 80's - The St, Louie, Louie-OHB Poster that is selling on this site.

I have a good friend around you age, His name is Joe Kerr do you know him. amc4
 
I think so........

amc4 said:
I have a good friend around you age, His name is Joe Kerr do you know him. amc4

Didn't he play in Akron or Toledo years ago? I thought he also had a good tourney going back then. I played him (many, many years ago) in Akron at room where the owner was the best score in town. Joe didn't know me (but I knew of him) and he thought I was a salesman, as did everyone else. I lost about $75 to Joe with the owner watching. The next day, I started playing the owner and we played for 3 or 4 days, on & off. The owner took a lot of speed and so when I would get tired, I would just leave the money I was winning "Posted". I left my new Continental parked out front and the owner would ride me to my motel and pick me up to play some more. He was afraid I would leave winners. I wasn't going anywhere until I broke him and there was a foot and a half of snow outside and I didn't want to drive anyway.
Ahh, Those Were The Days!

TY & GL
 
OldHasBeen said:
Didn't he play in Akron or Toledo years ago? I thought he also had a good tourney going back then. I played him (many, many years ago) in Akron at room where the owner was the best score in town. Joe didn't know me (but I knew of him) and he thought I was a salesman, as did everyone else. I lost about $75 to Joe with the owner watching. The next day, I started playing the owner and we played for 3 or 4 days, on & off. The owner took a lot of speed and so when I would get tired, I would just leave the money I was winning "Posted". I left my new Continental parked out front and the owner would ride me to my motel and pick me up to play some more. He was afraid I would leave winners. I wasn't going anywhere until I broke him and there was a foot and a half of snow outside and I didn't want to drive anyway.
Ahh, Those Were The Days!

TY & GL

You have the right Joe, He used to run the mens tour and ran the Akron Open at Starches, probably where you played him. I like listening to his old road strories and from what he tells me those were the days. amc4
 
This is exactly what I'm talking about........

amc4 said:
You have the right Joe, He used to run the mens tour and ran the Akron Open at Starches, probably where you played him. I like listening to his old road strories and from what he tells me those were the days. amc4

I my last two postings about "The Good Old Days" of Pool, I mentioned the differences in Players back then.

This instance is the perfect example!

If Louie were to have gone to Akron at that exact time, he would have gone straight into that pool room and played Joe Kerr on the first day. He may have won or lost but it would have been a great game and very entertaining.

As it was - I went into that poolroom and represented myself as an ad salesman who liked to play pool as a hobby, but liked to bet. I knew going in that Joe Kerr was the best around but I also knew that the biggest gambler/score was this poolroom owner/backer. I choose to Hustle Pool rather than just "Belly Up" and play pool. Un-beknownst to Joe, I showed him the respect by loosing the $75 to him instead of someone else for two reasons. First, I knew anyone playing Joe would get the attention that I was looking for, and second, even though Joe didn't know me from Adam, he at least got a "Little Jelly" for being an actor in the "Bdwy Show".

This is what it was all about back then - Either you went for the fame & glory - OR - You went "For The Cash".

I realized at a very early age that the whole world kept score only one way - SO - That’s the way I WENT!

Again - These experiences, differences and tactics are exactly what is spelled out in the St. Louie, Louie-OHB Poster.

TY & GL
 
Last edited:
This reminds me of my personal definitions...

A shark...someone that tells you he is gonna beat you, and then does.

A hustler...someone that toys with you...letting you raise the stakes and then takes you down hard...usually cleaning out your pockets.

Myself...I am more of the first and less of the second. I don't know how to lay down...nor will I learn. It is just not my style. Sure the wheelchair and my size are the best hustle in the world probably...but I play just like my wheelchair drives, wide the hell open. I have 1 speed...full throttle. Never been able to back down...never been able to go any speed but all out. I give 110 % in everything I do, probably cause that's how momma raised me.

Just my definitions...and the road...well I will leave that to the truckers like my daddy...ain't no place there for this midget.

Shorty
 
Ain't no such thing...

amc4 said:
You have the right Joe, He used to run the mens tour and ran the Akron Open at Starches...

What are you talking about? There's no such thing as the Akron Open ;-)
 
TheOne said:
I hear a lot of stories about players going "on the road" and after reading "playing off the rail" it sure makes me want to try it. Can anyone offer any insight into this enticing prospect? What famous players have gone on the road (didn't Alex and Corey go on the road?). Has anyone here done it for a significant time/distance? Do players stop in every small town or do they just go for the big matchups and tournaments?

It sure sounds like an adventure but is going "On The Road" a:

i) Pool Players Mecca?
or
ii) Urban Legend?

Going on the road is not an urban legend. Unlike most of the people on here who will admit to going on the road. I went on the road and wasn't a good enough player to pull it off. I was pretty good on the barboxes, but most of the bigger action was in pool halls on 4x8's. Plus we almost always went to the Texas and the southern midwest, which has had its share of road players come through. People that I could beat were scared to play anybody they didn't know who had a stroke.

We ended up playing bar tournaments and gambling in dance halls for $5 / stick and then losing whatever we made there to good players. I played Parica and he beat me like I wasn't even there. At one point he had 3 9-ball breaks in a row against me. I remember thinking that I already couldn't beat him and then he went and did that. I still use things I learned playing him though, so it was definitely worth it.

I generally spent time at home making money to go on the road, then I'd go for a few weeks, get busted and get home. We usually went around a tournament of some kind so that we had a goal.

I went on the road a couple of times with pro players and mostly just watched and tried to take care of my own expenses. That was great fun, but not as satisfying as trying to be the player. The other thing about that was that everybody knew them, so by association they figured I could play too and it was tough to match up.

The threat of violence is real, but moreso if you play people for chumps. If you're a good player and you hit good, reputable rooms and look for action, you'll probably be all right. I know in our pool hall we have great players come through all the time and they get played and there is never any violence. If you'd like one-pocket, you can play for about as much as you want here. Of course the competition is pretty strong. But based on your match with Efren, I know you don't shy away from a good game.

I don't know if I'm going to make it to Las Vegas yet, but if you make it to the San Fran area I'll introduce you around the room I frequent.

Cheers,
Regas
 
Last edited:
Well back a few years ago me and some friends took a roadtrip down to San Antonio. But it turns out that all the action dried up and we just ended up playing each other. I think I'll have some more potato salad and another JTS brown for my friend here. :cool: ;)
 
OldHasBeen said:
I started going "On The Road" when I was 18. It was 1964. Pool & Pool Players were much different in those days.

Every City & Town had their Best player. He was almost obligated to play a "Road Player" to defend his throne. He wasn't really aware of how good the game could be played and felt that when he was "In Stroke", he couldn't be beat.

There were 2 different types of "Road Players" back in the 60's, 70's & 80's.
A. - There was the "Louie" type - Went into the action poolroom and announced that he was there to beat the best.
B. - There was the "Hustler" type who knew Who, Where & How to "Get The Cash" before going into a poolroom.
Johnston City, IL & the Jansco Bros. brought both types together once a year. "It Was Great"!

The people who have responded in this thread are 100% correct when they say - "It can't be done anymore because of the expenses and notoriety that TV and communication have done".

The attitude of the Players & Backers has also changed from yesteryear. Back then if a gambler won or lost, (but stayed in action), he was "A Sport".
Now he is considered "A Sucker".

The Action & Opportunities for a good "Road Player" back then were best in The South but also good everywhere else. It was a great time to be good & young with no real responsibilities except to - Keep on playing & Try to eat pretty regularly.

The good players of today have it much different & harder. They have to go into an action spot and someone or maybe everyone will know them. They have to just "Belly Up" and play their hearts out to usually beat another good player on his own equipment. Of course they wouldn't be there if they didn't think they would win. What they "Bring To The Table" IS "New Money" but without a good line of shit and a little hustle, they either won't get action OR won't like the action they get.

As I see it, the best hope for a Pool Player today is for there to be enough good tournaments WITH action (Like The Derby City Classic) to be able to either win enough prize money via the tourney OR win enough in action to exist.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with real responsibilities. I would only encourage someone to try it if they were Very good, Very smart, Very young and maybe a little heavy so as to be able to miss a meal once in a while.

TY & GL

Ps - JAM - I enjoyed the interview with Keith very much and being one to never pass up an opportunity to promote, I would like to mention another "Good Read" about two very different Lives Of A Pool Player back in the 60's, 70's & 80's - The St, Louie, Louie-OHB Poster that is selling on this site.


Thanks for that OHB, an excellent post much appreciated.

"Very Young, Very Good, Very Smart and A little Heavy" - hmm that doesn't rule me out :-)
 
sixpack said:
Going on the road is not an urban legend. Unlike most of the people on here who will admit to going on the road. I went on the road and wasn't a good enough player to pull it off. I was pretty good on the barboxes, but most of the bigger action was in pool halls on 4x8's. Plus we almost always went to the Texas and the southern midwest, which has had its share of road players come through. People that I could beat were scared to play anybody they didn't know who had a stroke.

We ended up playing bar tournaments and gambling in dance halls for $5 / stick and then losing whatever we made there to good players. I played Parica and he beat me like I wasn't even there. At one point he had 3 9-ball breaks in a row against me. I remember thinking that I already couldn't beat him and then he went and did that. I still use things I learned playing him though, so it was definitely worth it.

I generally spent time at home making money to go on the road, then I'd go for a few weeks, get busted and get home. We usually went around a tournament of some kind so that we had a goal.

I went on the road a couple of times with pro players and mostly just watched and tried to take care of my own expenses. That was great fun, but not as satisfying as trying to be the player. The other thing about that was that everybody knew them, so by association they figured I could play too and it was tough to match up.

The threat of violence is real, but moreso if you play people for chumps. If you're a good player and you hit good, reputable rooms and look for action, you'll probably be all right. I know in our pool hall we have great players come through all the time and they get played and there is never any violence. If you'd like one-pocket, you can play for about as much as you want here. Of course the competition is pretty strong. But based on your match with Efren, I know you don't shy away from a good game.

I don't know if I'm going to make it to Las Vegas yet, but if you make it to the San Fran area I'll introduce you around the room I frequent.

Cheers,
Regas

Thanks for the post, thats probably what will happen to me lol. It all depends on how my game is after a month in the states. I'm hoping I will spend more time playing than partying and then I will be up for some match ups. But until I am happy with my game I'm just looking to put in the hours for some small change and going on the road seems like a good craic :-) I played Efren to see how good "The Best" is, but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw my money away playing the likes of Corey etc as I've still a lot to learn about 9 ball. But if I do get my game back I won't mind playing anyone. Hope to see you in Vegas maybe.

PS
I'm clueless about 1 pocket, Ive played about 2 racks by myself just messing around and Ive watched Efren play palmer on a DVD! I did manage to run 13 balls in my pocket in the second frame and then miss an easy bank but no idea if that means shit?(of course you wouldn't need that many to win a frame anyway). I might have to learn if I play in the hard time jamboree though!
 
JAM said:
I've put a lot of thought into the on-the-road experience. Having experienced it myself when I was in my twenties, with no responsibilities or financial obligations, it was a lot of fun, but the lifestyle can be kind of rough. I remember receiving funds from Western Union on several occasions when I was on the road (LOL). AND like previous posters have said, the "action" ain't what it used to be in today's tournament-inclined pool world.

In the '80s era, action was more prevalent, especially in the deep South: New Orleans, Mississippi, Tennessee, Carolinas, Georgia, and Southern Florida. There were action pockets all over the country, and by word of mouth, the players knew where to go. Before the Filippino Invasion, the Mexican champions were the ones to watch out for in California. And then there was good old Detroit, a little too shady for me at that time.

There used to be a owner of a pool room in Morristown, Tennessee, who would play ANY roadster who came to town. Win or lose, he just liked to gamble, enjoyed playing the BEST, and always asked for a whole lot of weight. Every road player in the country knew about this guy, and he welcomed them. I think he liked playing in front of a gallery of spectators, and being a wealthy man, he wasn't too worried about losing the money. Years later, I asked Earl Strickland if he remembered this fellow, and he said the guy's wife shot him dead. :eek:

I don't think action will ever be like it used to in today's pool world, and you'd be hard-pressed to make a living on the road in the year 2005. It's too costly -- gas, food, lodging, auto expense, tolls -- and living in those hotels gets real old after a while. There truly is no place like home.

Yesterday, a friend sent me a link to the BilliardsPress website. Phil Capelle interviewed Keith McCready, a road player who has traveled from coast to coast, and updated an article he had previously written. It's a quick read, and I thought it would complement this thread: http://billiardspress.com/pronews.cfm

JAM


Thanks JAM that was a nice read, I have used western union a fare few times while travelling, good old western union :-) Its a shame it isn't like it was, it always seems that "yesterday" was better than "today". :-(
 
Either way, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with real responsibilities. I would only encourage someone to try it if they were Very good, Very smart, Very young and maybe a little heavy so as to be able to miss a meal once in a while.

Ah, words of wisdom. Pretty funny, too. :thumbup:

This thread was a nice, short read. I hope somebody else gets a chance to enjoy it.
 
The road is now history

CEllphones, have made the road a thing of the past, expenses totally too high, automatic getting knocked, HISTORY !!
 
iT'S TOUGH NOW A DAYS.........

I hear a lot of stories about players going "on the road" and after reading "playing off the rail" it sure makes me want to try it. Can anyone offer any insight into this enticing prospect? What famous players have gone on the road (didn't Alex and Corey go on the road?). Has anyone here done it for a significant time/distance? Do players stop in every small town or do they just go for the big matchups and tournaments?

It sure sounds like an adventure but is going "On The Road" a:

i) Pool Players Mecca?
or
ii) Urban Legend?

I've been on the road for about a little over 4 years.

I teach Perfect Aim. Without something special like this that really makes a difference I couldn't make it.

I need to give about 5 or 6 lessons a week just to stay even with the road.

The days of a player sneaking up on someone is almost over. the internet takes care of that.

I'm still on the road and play as many players as I can. Working on getting my weight down right now. I'm not supposed to be diabetic if i lose about 15 more lbs.

Once there i will have some endurance. Right now i run out of gas.

Played a set for $4,000 last week in Beloit Wisconsin. If I wasn't close to ready that would never have happened. broke even.

I'll be stirring the pot allot more once I'm to my good weight.

In the meantime I'm training a girl wjile I'm on the road. Got some good talent and just needs to get a little more common sense when it comes to gambling.

The roads a tough place today.

It's what busts most players even back in the day. The expenses are even worse today.

One man a van and the road.

And now building a champion. ( It's a girl)
 
I just recieved my May edtion of Billiards Digest and they have a 4 or 5 page artical about going on the road.It was a very good read that told the truth about playing on the road.Frank,when are you going to come thru Alabama again?I'm sure Aaron and all the rest of the heavy hitters whould like to see you again. :D

Who are the heavy hitters in Al that play/gamble? Is Aaron the one who owns the place in Montgomery and likes to play 1 hole?
 
I hear a lot of stories about players going "on the road" and after reading "playing off the rail" it sure makes me want to try it. Can anyone offer any insight into this enticing prospect? What famous players have gone on the road (didn't Alex and Corey go on the road?). Has anyone here done it for a significant time/distance? Do players stop in every small town or do they just go for the big matchups and tournaments?

It sure sounds like an adventure but is going "On The Road" a:

i) Pool Players Mecca?
or
ii) Urban Legend?

I doubt anyone can name a good American player who didn't spend a lot of time on the road. Its how they all learned how to play at a high level.
 
CEllphones, have made the road a thing of the past, expenses totally too high, automatic getting knocked, HISTORY !!

You can say that again! ;)

Looks like the professional pool tournament trail is history as well. :embarrassed2:
 
Back
Top