One Pocket Action Match of the year!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1632717165768.png

middleofnowhere

Registered
Unless Alex began to s**t all over himself, it's too much to make up. If I had bet on Tony, I probably be looking to buy my way out of the bet at a discount right now.
One pocket is not nine ball,
comebacks are tough. Gambling maybe, when you're not facing a time clock or the end of a set.

Something such as a race to 36, there will be a point where the outcome is inevitable. That was close to being the case at the beginning of tonight's session.

Last edited:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Was a good match, but aside from day one Tony never really seemed into it, to me. Maybe if the game was on his phone he would have had a chance, I donno. All I know is if I had his number and was backing him or a friend of his, I would have suggested he got his head out of his phone and got it in the game. The man had 2 phones and never took his focus off of them the 3 days I was there. From what I was told, on day 1 he wasn't nosed in the phone. Anyway congratulations Alex, well deserved! Oh yea, I also got to watch Orcullo practicing his 10 ball break for a while and that was pretty impressive. Got a poster signed and overall had a great time

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was a good match, but aside from day one Tony never really seemed into it, to me. Maybe if the game was on his phone he would have had a chance, I donno. All I know is if I had his number and was backing him or a friend of his, I would have suggested he got his head out of his phone and got it in the game. The man had 2 phones and never took his focus off of them the 3 days I was there. From what I was told, on day 1 he wasn't nosed in the phone. Anyway congratulations Alex, well deserved! Oh yea, I also got to watch Orcullo practicing his 10 ball break for a while and that was pretty impressive. Got a poster signed and overall had a great time

i missed this match although i'm a big fan of both players. do others agree on the analysis above?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Lion Outruns T-Rex!!!
By Mary Kenniston
This was the rematch that everyone has talked about for a long time! The wait was over - arrangements were made and the venue was set!
The Rack & Grill III in Aiken, SC was the destination for every one pocket aficionado in the southeast to watch legends Tony Chohan and Alex Pagulayan duke it out for the past few days in the $150,000 Champions Challenge. Alex spotted Tony 9/8 - it was a race to 36 played over four days – races to 9, 18, 27 and 36 for the win. Mark Gregory of Perfect Pocketz readied the Diamond table with 4” pockets specifically for the match.
Room owner Michael Newsome and his staff rolled out the red carpet to make everyone feel at home.
Day One began with Tony taking the first game and staying in the lead as the players battled back and forth. The Lion finally tied the match at six games apiece and then went ahead 7-6, then 8-6 and finished out the day 9-7.
Day Two saw Alex ease ahead 11-8 and he kept the pressure on slowly extended his lead by five games. Final score for the session 18-13.
Day Three saw Tony making a charge as he closed the gap to three games – 22-19. However, his charge was shortlived as Alex surged ahead to close out the day 27-20.
On Day Four, Tony dug deep to win four out of the first six games to make it 29-24. Each player won on their break making it 30-25, then 30-26 and Tony drew within three games – 31-28. Only allowing him one more game, Alex bore down and closed out the match 36-29.
It was a hard fought match with both players having their ups and downs as well as some spectacular play. We were witness to an exceptional display of their knowledge and moves in addition to Alex’s precision cue ball control and Tony’s shot-making ability. What a match!!! Congratulations to Alex!!! Good shooting, Tony!
Thanks again to Michael Newsome and his hard working staff for taking such good care of the players and fans!!
PoolActionTV.com would also like to thank Jeremy Jones for his excellent commentary as well as his guest commentators Scott Rabon, John Hennigan (“Flakes”) and Michael Beehler. We’d also like to thank our fans and our sponsors – you make this all possible. Our sponsors include Hanshew Jump Cues, Lomax Custom Cues, StraightPoolEye, Durbin Custom Cues, Diamond Billiard Products, Simonis, Aramith, The Action Palace of Dayton, OH and Fort Worth Billiards Superstore of Fort Worth, TX.
Our next stop is Rack On The Rocks in West Peoria, IL for the Aramith/Simonis Pro Classic featuring three events - $7500 added 10 Ball, $7500 added One Pocket and $2000 added Bar Table 8 Ball!!! The dates are October 6th-10th – we hope to see you there!!!

www.PoolActionTV.com

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
great summary terry
ray and poolaction tv did a great job
i really enjoyed the stream
cant say enough good things about jeremy jones commentary
and thanks to alex and tony and their backers to step up and play
i bet when tony closed the gap to 31-28 you could feel the excitement if he was going to make an unbelieveable comeback
lastly
congrats to alex for a superb display of onepocket knowledge and skill
(y) :)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Filler played Tony some 1P for $1k a game afterward and Filler came out ahead. I’d like to see Filler and Alex play some time.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Filler played Tony some 1P for $1k a game afterward and Filler came out ahead. I’d like to see Filler and Alex play some time.
Calm down there. Alex is a different opponent than a recently beaten xhohan.

Filler is comfortable against xhohan and Alex will not allow him as long a leash as xhohan does.