One Pocket Break

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For folks having a problem with the One Pocket break, this may help a little. When i first started playing OP 'old timers' said you will learn to break good after you break 1,000 times. (BTW I am 78.) So I decided to study the rack and this is what I found on the standard break.

If on the break the corner ball leaks to the opponents side, the problem is not with the placement of the cue ball. The problem is with the rack. When breaking from the right side of the rack, I make sure the 2nd and 3rd balls on the left side of the rack are frozen to each other. If they are not frozen, the 2nd ball sends its energy to the balls on the right side and the end ball leaks out. These are the only two balls I pay attention to on the break. Let me know if it works for you.

PS. I place the cue ball approximately 5 inches from the right long rail on the head string and use left English.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are far more variables at play than one at any given time...and that does not even address differences between tables.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Grady Mathews has a basic One Pocket Video, on U-Tube. Like guy said in post #1, preactice his techniques.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Danny Diliberto (sp?)said if the corner ball leaks to your opponents side you need to move the cue ball a little closer to the middle of the table.
I would agree with that. It sometimes happens when hitting too much of the second ball. You may even scratch off the last ball that comes out.
Breaking too soft can cause problems as well. The one pocket break is an easy shot to dog under pressure.

middleofnowhere

Registered
For folks having a problem with the One Pocket break, this may help a little. When i first started playing OP 'old timers' said you will learn to break good after you break 1,000 times. (BTW I am 78.) So I decided to study the rack and this is what I found on the standard break.

If on the break the corner ball leaks to the opponents side, the problem is not with the placement of the cue ball. The problem is with the rack. When breaking from the right side of the rack, I make sure the 2nd and 3rd balls on the left side of the rack are frozen to each other. If they are not frozen, the 2nd ball sends its energy to the balls on the right side and the end ball leaks out. These are the only two balls I pay attention to on the break. Let me know if it works for you.

PS. I place the cue ball approximately 5 inches from the right long rail on the head string and use left English.
I used to have this book. I can't find it now, my house is too much of a mess to find anything. If I remember right he had a suggestion in the book to break with a very light cue, not your playing cue. Anybody ever hear that?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good 1P break is possibly the only shot in pool I’ve never had a problem with. And I can adjust and find the sweet spot pretty fast on any table. Old cloth, wet, dry what ever conditions. I wish the rest of pool came to me that easy. I don’t really have a good explanation for why that is

middleofnowhere

Registered
Danny Diliberto (sp?)said if the corner ball leaks to your opponents side you need to move the cue ball a little closer to the middle of the table.
I never took any lessons from Danny but we played lots of times.

In fact playing with him is always a lesson because he talks all the time while playing. He used to do a thing regarding the one pocket break where he would move the cueball half way to the rack.

This was to demonstrate what happens when you hit an almost perfect break. From that distance you can break the balls really good every time.

In fact he did another thing where he would set the cueball about a foot from the rack and say” You can have anything you want if I can break from here”.
He wasn’t kidding, from that close he would make the corner ball in his pocket like 50% of the time and run out.

Its been so long I almost forget how good Danny played. I have seen him run all 15 balls in the one pocket a number of times.. It was a proposition Weenie Beanie used to book.

You got break and first shot to run as many balls as you can in one pocket. You pick the pocket before you break. When you miss the balls were re-racked and you do this for 5 racks.

Beanie would handicap you as to how many balls you had make. A good player would shoot at like 14. Danny shot at 25.
Try it, it is not as easy as it sounds.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Book is15 bucks, can not go too wrong for that price.
I don't remember how good the book was or wasn't. It is kind of obscure and something guys who like pool stuff I bet would like. I used to have a copy of "Winning One Pocket". I made the mistake of loaning it out and never saw it again. It sells now on Amazon for like $400.00

I got it in Las Vegas from Eddie Robin for I think $50.00. He was in the lobby of the hotel where Grady was doing a straight pool tournament sitting at a card table with a big stack of books. They were not selling. I bet everyone who wasn't interested wishes they bought one now.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
A good 1P break is possibly the only shot in pool I’ve never had a problem with. And I can adjust and find the sweet spot pretty fast on any table. Old cloth, wet, dry what ever conditions. I wish the rest of pool came to me that easy. I don’t really have a good explanation for why that is

Because your the THE BRAKE KING, than you go to Pawn ♟ Status.
1627600772869.png

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never took any lessons from Danny but we played lots of times.

In fact playing with him is always a lesson because he talks all the time while playing. He used to do a thing regarding the one pocket break where he would move the cueball half way to the rack.

This was to demonstrate what happens when you hit an almost perfect break. From that distance you can break the balls really good every time.

In fact he did another thing where he would set the cueball about a foot from the rack and say” You can have anything you want if I can break from here”.
He wasn’t kidding, from that close he would make the corner ball in his pocket like 50% of the time and run out.

Its been so long I almost forget how good Danny played. I have seen him run all 15 balls in the one pocket a number of times.. It was a proposition Weenie Beanie used to book.

You got break and first shot to run as many balls as you can in one pocket. You pick the pocket before you break. When you miss the balls were re-racked and you do this for 5 racks.

Beanie would handicap you as to how many balls you had make. A good player would shoot at like 14. Danny shot at 25.
Try it, it is not as easy as it sounds.
25? In five racks?

He'd get heisted with that total by today's pros.

I believe a similar challenge happened at dcc and the winner went 60 balls in 5 racks.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gabe Owen did the 60. 2008, it appears.

2009 winner was Mika...53 total with back to back 15s

As per jelfert, 13 perfect racks in toall were run by all entrants in 2009.