One Pocket Question

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed in some one pocket matches that when one wants to take a foul they just tap the top of the cue ball with the tip of their cue. Is this OK in the game of one pocket, or is it a house rule, or something that is agreed upon prior to the match? I know it is OK to just barely touch the cue ball with the tip when taking a foul, but I'm talking about just tapping the top of the cue ball. BCA rules state that an intentional foul is OK as long as a legal stroke is used using the tip of the cue. Would like some clarification on this.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think technically, it must be done with a pool stroke, so foul, by world standard rules.

As far as local rules, accepted manner.

Last edited:

phillyviper1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A foul is a foul. As long as the tip touches the cue ball it would be considered an intentional foul.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
If the rules call for a legal stroke then I guess what you are talking about is a sportsmanship foul and should be loss of game, though I wouldn't try to call it that way on an opponent. It really does matter, since you can avoid moving the ball at all by touching the top. Using a legal stroke means you will likely be changing the position of the balls. I'd say it's moderately disrespectful, but not a game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I don't like when someone just taps the cue ball with the top of the ferrule or shaft but its done commonly, I guess a foul is a foul. :confused:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed in some one pocket matches that when one wants to take a foul they just tap the top of the cue ball with the tip of their cue. Is this OK in the game of one pocket, or is it a house rule, or something that is agreed upon prior to the match? I know it is OK to just barely touch the cue ball with the tip when taking a foul, but I'm talking about just tapping the top of the cue ball. BCA rules state that an intentional foul is OK as long as a legal stroke is used using the tip of the cue. Would like some clarification on this.

My feeling is that 1pocket players, generally speaking, are an amenable lot and the majority would not make a fuss over it, though technically, I believe you're supposed to take the foul with the leather tip of your cue. Hence the "legal stroke" part.

Lou Figueroa

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My feeling is that 1pocket players, generally speaking, are an amenable lot and the majority would not make a fuss over it, though technically, I believe you're supposed to take the foul with the leather tip of your cue. Hence the "legal stroke" part.

Lou Figueroa

you have to hit the ball with the tip for it to be a legal hit
icbw

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It depends on which rules you're playing by. Informal match -- whatever you agree to.

Official rules -- you must play a shot when it's your turn to shoot and you must make a shot with tip-to-cue-ball contact due to a forward motion of the cue stick. In this case forward means along the line of the cue stick, so a masse shot might be mostly down relative to the ground.

Some remember the ferrule foul that Efren took in the 2000 US Open 14.1 championship when he meant to just take a normal foul. It cost him an unsportsmanlike conduct foul, 16 points, rerack and shoot an opening break shot.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played in some tourneys where this is not allowed. You must hit the ball with your tip. Even if it only wiggles, you cannot just tap the top of the cue ball with your cue. Gambling, it seems this is acceptable from what I've experienced. Same thing for trapping the cue ball on the facing of the pocket with your cue to corner hook a player if you are in the jaws of the pocket. Loss of game, but again this was in tourneys.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on which rules you're playing by. Informal match -- whatever you agree to.

Official rules -- you must play a shot when it's your turn to shoot and you must make a shot with tip-to-cue-ball contact due to a forward motion of the cue stick. In this case forward means along the line of the cue stick, so a masse shot might be mostly down relative to the ground.

Some remember the ferrule foul that Efren took in the 2000 US Open 14.1 championship when he meant to just take a normal foul. It cost him an unsportsmanlike conduct foul, 16 points, rerack and shoot an opening break shot.

That pretty much answers my question and is what I believed. It's like a lot of rules are ambiguous and interpretations vary. Another one is, when placing the ball in the kitchen, does the whole ball have to be over the line or the base of the ball? I've seen it go both ways. Thanks for the reply.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That pretty much answers my question and is what I believed. It's like a lot of rules are ambiguous and interpretations vary. Another one is, when placing the ball in the kitchen, does the whole ball have to be over the line or the base of the ball? I've seen it go both ways. Thanks for the reply.
The position of the ball is always determined by its center (or the straight-down projection of its center, or the center of its resting patch) and not by an edge. The headstring is not part of the kitchen. The kitchen is the area between the headstring and the head rail. (or "above the headstring" if you want to be technical)

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Bob, so by that definition, a ball resting directly on the headstring line would technically be outside of the kitchen?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, so by that definition, a ball resting directly on the headstring line would technically be outside of the kitchen?
Yes, and playable if you had cue ball in hand. It is rare for a ball to be resting exactly on the headstring. The most common example would be if the ball had been spotted on the head spot, but that doesn't happen at one pocket.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The rule is you have to touch CB with the tip not any other part of the shaft. This is one of them rules you have to agree with your partner on before you start the match..the worst one is pinning the CB inside the pocket creating a corner hook!

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The position of the ball is always determined by its center (or the straight-down projection of its center, or the center of its resting patch) and not by an edge. The headstring is not part of the kitchen. The kitchen is the area between the headstring and the head rail. (or "above the headstring" if you want to be technical)

The reason I asked was what you stated above is what I thought was the rule. This came up between my friend and I so we asked the resident one pocket "expert" in the pool hall. He said that the edge had to be behind the line. I guess what it all boils down to is get a list of these controversial rules and agree on them prior to the match. You probably could throw the 3 foul rule in with this. Most don't follow but the rules say that loss of game for 3 consecutive fouls unless waved prior to the match. It may help if all pool halls kept a copy of the rules so when a question came up you could get a correct answer. Then again, the reason we don't know the rules is because we are new to the game. We should read the rules ourselves, then agree on how we are going to play the game. Deviations are OK as long as you both agree.

If you are gambling it's good.

ONB