One thing that made you a better position player

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the cue ball after contact instead of watching the object ball go in the hole, ala George Fels.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds simple but learning what angle the cue ball was going to take off one or two rails and what English to apply to get the correct angle. When I watch pool on live streams that's probably the most common mistake I see from lower level players - they can pocket balls but they have little or no idea where the cue ball is going.

The best way to learn that is 14.1 or equal offense. In 9 ball you can get away with playing area position a lot of the time.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 cushion

Has to be the hours of 3 cushion billiards I played as a kid. No science involved, just knowing where the cue ball would go depending on how I stroked the shot. I have not played that game in 50 years and don't remember seeing a table in Alaska. I'm convinced that and playing 9 Ball helps me to position the cue ball.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Playing scratch pool for hours when I was young. I hated the game but my pop made me play it at least an hour a day. I appreciated it later down the road. It teaches you where the cue ball is going & different ways to get it there

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks RK for the thread. :smile:

I have to say:

3-cushion billiards
Bert Kinisters - 60 minute workout video
Tor Lowery's kicking video

But, you did ask for one thing. You have only one contact point on the OB to make it, therefore the object of the game is the QB. I watch the QB after contact with the OB. Its important to keep your eyes where the OB was and then watch the path of the QB. I like to think of it as playing a billiard with the QB off the OB.

John

Last edited:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to agree that playing 3 cushion has helped me in discovering depth of angles. A very good 3
cushion player told me something that really struck home: "The cue ball only knows 3 things 1) direction 2) spin and 3) speed and speed is the toughest and most important." For me it is controlling the speed of the cue ball that has improved my position play the most.

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
somebody told me when i first started, 'always keep control of the cue ball'. i dunno why but it kinda stuck with me and i really began to pay attention more to the cue ball rather than the shot.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
The rails are your friends. Try to play position on each ball so you can come off a rail or rails to play shape on the next ball.

For me it was just the opposite. Stop with the spinning and learn to feel the true weight of the ball.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Lots of Straight pool really helps with position play. I also use a shorter stroke for shots requiring a more accurate position/angle.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on how you assimilate information. Some people learn better by observation. Others like to see it on paper, such as with calculations, and some prefer talking to others about it.

I'm visual, so for me it was watching the better players. With practice I was able to assimilate what they were doing into my own game.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played at a pretty high level in 1978.
This was the year I started playing New Jersey legend Neptune Joe Frady several times a week for about 12 years. I studied his game intently and my position play and shot selection moved up a lot.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played at a pretty high level in 1978.
This was the year I started playing New Jersey legend Neptune Joe Frady several times a week for about 12 years. I studied his game intently and my position play and shot selection moved up a lot.

Mosconi's number one tip: "Play with better players whenever possible!";)

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biggest thing for me, other than practice, is not trying to be perfect. Other thing is really looking at the table, and understanding in my head how I want to play the rack before I shoot the first shot.

IMO, this is very important. I've screwed up more outs trying to get "to perfect" instead of taking, what is often, a very slightly tougher shot or position. This coupled with 3 balls ahead, using the correct angle into the next ball, and inside english are what has helped me the most.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biggest thing for me, other than practice, is not trying to be perfect. Other thing is really looking at the table, and understanding in my head how I want to play the rack before I shoot the first shot.

I agree with this.
IMO perfect pool does not exist. You need to think quite a few shots ahead. It is good that when playing position you give yourself more 'margins of error' eg 'line of shot'.
You need to know where the CB is going when you are doing nothing, cuz if you don't know this you don't know how much to change it.
But the most important thing by far is a consistent stroke.