Open Question: Does it matter to you if a manufacturer moves "US" product overseas?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Guys,

Believe I made an error in my earlier post on this thread. Sam Walton's original plan had primarily American made products in his stores. After his passing, his successors began to change the philosophy to cheapest you can buy. Walmart knows their clientele very well. In doing this, Walmart helped to destroy American manufacturing of small goods. In every town and city Walmart entered, the mom and pop retail stores were the first to fail. All in the name of "low prices". Isn't unfettered capitalism great! Sorry for the error.

Lyn

Low prices are great.

America is more wealthy because of international trades going both ways.

Production is higher and that is what counts more than "jobs," as we'll see more and more as technology is used to increase production to very high levels.

As for trading with China, thank god for that, as it will be the only thing that can keep us from another Asia war.

Trade is good and makes both sides wealthier. Both sides, not just one, both.

Jeff Livingston

PS If anyone wants to spend an hour learning about such economic principles, go here (pdf) for free. It is worth most poster's time, based on the fallacies I'm reading here.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dale Perry cues (which he claims are built by him, in his Florida shop) sell for an average of a $100 on ebay. Could they possibly be from China? He sure does build a lot of cues to list on ebay. I do not know how he does it by himself.

:(

So maybe people who work in China work faster?

Why do you pick Dale Perry Cues? He doesn't make nearly as many cues as Joss, Meucci, McDermott and the other major cue companies.

So you see him selling cues on Ebay and think he is a big cue maker?

Joss has a small shop and puts out way more cues than Dale Perry.
You should really question Joss before Dale Perry....

:eek:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a lose/ lose situation as far as I am concerned.
We lose the jobs created by the process and the company just made it's American buyers unable to afford their product.
No matter how cheap they can get it made somewhere else.
The new economy will be the middle east and china, China will make the toys , the middle east will trade their oil for them, and everyone else will be hand to mouth.
Sound familiar?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It's a lose/ lose situation as far as I am concerned.
We lose the jobs created by the process and the company just made it's American buyers unable to afford their product.
No matter how cheap they can get it made somewhere else.
The new economy will be the middle east and china, China will make the toys , the middle east will trade their oil for them, and everyone else will be hand to mouth.
Sound familiar?

But what of the other parts of the equation?

Please, everyone: http://www.hacer.org/pdf/Hazlitt00.pdf

Hat Tip to Colin Colenso for introducing Hazlitt to azb first.

Jeff Livingston

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Craftsman wrenches no longer bear the words "forged in the USA". As a guy who likes to do minor wrenching on his cars, I'm glad I bought my tools when I did. If I were buying today, I'd probably go Proto or snap-on. No real problem buying other imported (Chinese) goods that work well, but cheap wrenches? Nope...

Yeah, I know..Snap-on costs a LOT more, but there is a reason pro mechanics like the brand. For a do it yourself car nut the old USA Craftsman stuff was a great tool maker. Sadly, no more.

Not totally true. You have to remember Craftsman is not a company but just a brand owned by Sears but recently sold the rights to Black and Decker, though Sears still gets to use the name and sell tools. It was a $1B deal for Sears.

Craftsman are made by several tool companies in the USA, and some of the small hand tools are made overseas, but the larger, more expensive tools are still made in USA. Oh, I'm at Sears HQ today doing a little insurance consulting work, so I'm pretty sure about this one ;)

Last edited:

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a question that means quite a lot to me. This is not a flame... please don't take it that way. Not a political stance whatsoever... I just really want to know your opinion because I am really struggling with this as an American worker...

My background... very quickly:

I have worked more than 26 years of my adult life in manufacturing in the United States. I have supported my US suppliers, my US distributors and encouraged my customers to support American Employees. I wish I were kidding when I said I purchased millions of dollars worth of parts and equipment... but I'm not. And all were American made and kept Americans at work.

Now... I get 100% confirmation (I have email proof provided from the source that tells me the product is now imported) today that a notable cue manufacturer (who already markets import lines) that touts itself as "Made in the USA" has replaced previously US made products with imports and just simply omits it from the description and markets under their US made name.

First... I understand that most production cue manufacturers have import lines... it seems to be a necessary evil (and some do it better than others) but this is the first confirmation that I have seen that this major company is now marketing imports under it's "American Made" trademarked name.

It bothers me...

Does it bother any of you?

I had a McDermott with a warped G-Core shaft. If this is an example of Made In The USA, I definitely prefer an overseas product. All my cues made overseas are as straight as an arrow.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But what of the other parts of the equation?

Please, everyone: http://www.hacer.org/pdf/Hazlitt00.pdf

Hat Tip to Colin Colenso for introducing Hazlitt to azb first.

Jeff Livingston

I could read every book on gambling in the library and still lose all my money to a guy with a 3rd grade education and a deck of marked cards.
It doesn't take a guy with a degree in economics, to realize that the minute the decent paying jobs left this country, that the clock started on our demise.
Whether it is a planned strategy or just a monumental f...up, it doesn't really matter in the long run, the effects will be the same.
No middle class in America, and no hope for anything besides the Haves and the Have Nots in the future economy.
Oh yeah , I forgot , everyone will be a poker pro or make videos and beg for Patreon money on You Tube.
Theres the solution!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After my last response I realised how idiotic it is to discuss /argue/ speculate on anything with some internet identity.
Hopefully , this will be my last transmission.
Major Tom, out.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I had a McDermott with a warped G-Core shaft. If this is an example of Made In The USA, I definitely prefer an overseas product. All my cues made overseas are as straight as an arrow.

A shaft warped. WOW. That's incredible. Wood actually moves? Weird.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This statement is so blatantly assumptive because of maybe 1 or 2 experiences out of 1000's that it is shear stupidity. I could say overseas is crap because 6 sticks I purchased made in China are the worse things I have ever seen or held in my hand.

I personally can tell you that I have 4 McDermotts cues with 6 shafts and love everyone one of them and they are as straight as an arrow.

I did have an issue with one that developed after about a year, probably my fault, but I simply filled out a form and sent it in. It was fixed and returned per their LIFETIME WARRANTY and was done quickly.

I have many places and products that I frequent, many made overseas and I can tell you one thing is for sure..... Your experience may differ at any given time from one visit or one purchase to another.

Reactions: KRJ

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This statement is so blatantly assumptive because of maybe 1 or 2 experiences out of 1000's that it is shear stupidity. I could say overseas is crap because 6 sticks I purchased made in China are the worse things I have ever seen or held in my hand.

I personally can tell you that I have 4 McDermotts cues with 6 shafts and love everyone one of them and they are as straight as an arrow.

I did have an issue with one that developed after about a year, probably my fault, but I simply filled out a form and sent it in. It was fixed and returned per their LIFETIME WARRANTY and was done quickly.

I have many places and products that I frequent, many made overseas and I can tell you one thing is for sure..... Your experience may differ at any given time from one visit or one purchase to another.

Well put!

One warped shaft with a lifetime warranty is an example of well, nothing...

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I could read every book on gambling in the library and still lose all my money to a guy with a 3rd grade education and a deck of marked cards.
It doesn't take a guy with a degree in economics, to realize that the minute the decent paying jobs left this country, that the clock started on our demise.
Whether it is a planned strategy or just a monumental f...up, it doesn't really matter in the long run, the effects will be the same.
No middle class in America, and no hope for anything besides the Haves and the Have Nots in the future economy.
Oh yeah , I forgot , everyone will be a poker pro or make videos and beg for Patreon money on You Tube.
Theres the solution!

I can lead you to water but can't make you drink.

You're wrong about the demise of America cuz jobs going overseas. First off, a job is an agreement between 2 Persons, not a thing that travels overseas, a thing to be held at gunpoint here to our benefit.

Then there are the unseen factors behind every trade and behind every restriction of trade. Those must be part of the equation to truly understand what is going on and how and why.

Or just vote for the next best promiser of whatever you need.

Jeff Livingston

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first concern is quality. Could care less where it's made.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I can lead you to water but can't make you drink.

You're wrong about the demise of America cuz jobs going overseas. First off, a job is an agreement between 2 Persons, not a thing that travels overseas, a thing to be held at gunpoint here to our benefit.

Then there are the unseen factors behind every trade and behind every restriction of trade. Those must be part of the equation to truly understand what is going on and how and why.

Or just vote for the next best promiser of whatever you need.

Jeff Livingston
Well said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
It bothers me 100% Every day.
When someone says "You can't buy anything Made in the USA anymore"
I call bs.
It takes a little research sometimes but most times you can find the product.
To the OP. If someone has made it here and then moves....
That is the worst. Wouldn't by a thing from them.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Well said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Not well said.
Many companies and their products that could be made cheaper elsewhere STAY here.
Why?
Because they do what is right. They have a conscience.
They give a shit.
I support those that choose not to make a few less dollars doing it on the cheap in a foreign land.
Not just pool related products either.
Hey JB.
You actually shared a booth with someone doing it right.
Chris Renfro. Good example.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Guys,

Believe I made an error in my earlier post on this thread. Sam Walton's original plan had primarily American made products in his stores. After his passing, his successors began to change the philosophy to cheapest you can buy. Walmart knows their clientele very well. In doing this, Walmart helped to destroy American manufacturing of small goods. In every town and city Walmart entered, the mom and pop retail stores were the first to fail. All in the name of "low prices". Isn't unfettered capitalism great! Sorry for the error.

Lyn

Glad you reposted.
I've never stepped foot in a Walmart.
Luckily we still have options in my area.