opinions please!!

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would very much appreciate any advice and or opinions as to which of the cue lathes currently available would be the best bang for the bucks.

I'm interested in quality of the product, support, documentation, upgrade potential and any other info you think should be considered.

The lathes I see and hear the most about are in no particular order and

I know some of these are comparing apples to oranges! Price range seems like it runs from $500.00 up to $3000.00

Chris Hightower

Joe Porper

new 1 from Lee Brianna

Todd on this forum

Uniques (Jim Sickles?)

ideally the 1 I would want would be good for all tip, ferrules, wraps, joint repairs etc..

I know this is asking a lot and I do not intend to make custom cues. I will mostly do tips and clean shafts. I would like to be able to make sneaky's from old house cues.

Thanks in advance for your assistance/advice and /or opinions

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
For what you are doing, i'd reccomend the mid-size cuesmith from Hightower. At any point you can upgrade to a larger headstock, heavy duty tailstock (the bomb!!!), and any other extras that help in repairs and cuemaking techniques.

Barry C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to agree with Eric. the Mid size would handle what you want to do. but, if the money is available, I'd go with the Cuesmith deluxe. With the deluxe, you can jump in to more work, being able to taper butts and shafts as your experience allows.

Also, Chris Hightower has excellent service after the sell.

Barry Cameron

dave sutton

Banned
I agree with Barry. Outbid box te hightower lathes are great. If were you I'd save for the deluxe. You will outgrow the midsize fast. I know I did.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I just got a Deluxe. Chris is very good with the after help.

I've just begun but I have to say the Deluxe is great.
I've not had any formal training on a lathe other than a wood lathe and very basic metal lathe in High school.
The Deluxe is a very smooth operating machine and I find I'm already doing tasks that I thought I'd be messing up on and having to do much practice
before I got it right.

bman43

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recommend the deluxe,spend the extra and get it

I would very much appreciate any advice and or opinions as to which of the cue lathes currently available would be the best bang for the bucks.

I'm interested in quality of the product, support, documentation, upgrade potential and any other info you think should be considered.

The lathes I see and hear the most about are in no particular order and

I know some of these are comparing apples to oranges! Price range seems like it runs from $500.00 up to $3000.00

Chris Hightower

Joe Porper

new 1 from Lee Brianna

Todd on this forum

Uniques (Jim Sickles?)

ideally the 1 I would want would be good for all tip, ferrules, wraps, joint repairs etc..

I know this is asking a lot and I do not intend to make custom cues. I will mostly do tips and clean shafts. I would like to be able to make sneaky's from old house cues.

Thanks in advance for your assistance/advice and /or opinions

i love my deluxe,very user friendly for someone who doesnt know a metal lathe.add that plus u wont find a better man to deal with.always returns calls.never too busy to help. and so on.the other guys, i dont know about cause ive only dealt with chris ,but they have good reputations.didnt want to sound like i was putting them down.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best Lathe

Another vote for the Hightower Deluxe. Mine is 8 years old, and running strong. Chris is very patient, and helpful with any beginner questions. I know he was with mine. I'm sure the others are great too, but I have had nothing but good service from my deluxe. Good luck! :grin:

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!!

I appreciate the fact that you guys took the time to respond and so far it is certainly an eye opener.

reminds me of the olde story bout if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck

thanks again