Opponent on Cell Phone - Disrespectful ?

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of whether it's a tournament match, a gambling session, or just a set your playing with another player, curious as to your opinions as to whether it is disrespectful for them (or myself) to be on a cellphone texting, checking texts, etc. while your opponent is at the table shooting? In my opinion it is showing a lack of respect towards your opponent if you are not in your chair and paying attention to the game in progress. I've been hesitant to let my opponent know how I feel about it, but I'm tempted to.

Is this just the world we are living in now that we should accept, particularly regarding younger players? I feel like I'm doing a number of our younger less experienced and less skilled younger players a favor by playing with them and giving them the opportunity to learn from a better player. What good does that do them if they are not even paying attention to my shotmaking decisions.
Regardless of whether it's a tournament match, a gambling session, or just a set your playing with another player, curious as to your opinions as to whether it is disrespectful for them (or myself) to be on a cellphone texting, checking texts, etc. while your opponent is at the table shooting? In my opinion it is showing a lack of respect towards your opponent if you are not in your chair and paying attention to the game in progress. I've been hesitant to let my opponent know how I feel about it, but I'm tempted to.

Is this just the world we are living in now that we should accept, particularly regarding younger players? I feel like I'm doing a number of our younger less experienced and less skilled younger players a favor by playing with them and giving them the opportunity to learn from a better player. What good does that do them if they are not even paying attention to my shotmaking decisions?
It used to bother me but now I am happy when people are on the phone. It means they aren't thinking about the game. You never see a pro on the phone in a money match.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Is this just the world we are living in now that we should accept, particularly regarding younger players? I feel like I'm doing a number of our younger less experienced and less skilled younger players a favor by playing with them and giving them the opportunity to learn from a better player. What good does that do them if they are not even paying attention to my shotmaking decisions?
Disrespectful. If you want to see 49 other things also disrespectful, check out the video and summary handout here:

pool etiquette resource page

Enjoy,
Dave

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes very rude and I know a professional that does this when he's in town.

Especially when you walk back to your seat and they look up from the phone asking if it is their shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes very rude and I know a professional that does this when he's in town.

Especially when you walk back to your seat and they look up from the phone asking if it is their shot.
I suppose one solution is to not stop shooting after a miss if they don't want their shot. Should you tell them about ball-in-hand if you foul?

But what I actually do.... If they're spending a lot of time on their phone or even wandering off to other tables to chat with friends, I just try to ignore them.

In a weekly practice session, we both might look at our phones briefly to see what the message was, but the vast majority of the time is spent watching the table. We also are both OK with the seated player going to the bar for a drink or to the bathroom if it looks like a run.

If you're in a match, no phone and breaks only between racks.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Disrespectful. If you want to see 49 other things also disrespectful, check out the video and summary handout here:

pool etiquette resource page

Enjoy,
Dave
Pool Etiquette is an outstanding start.

Years ago I created an Office Etiquette for standard communications within my departemnt.

With pool, you need general agreement such as those who run a league, tournament or captains.

It is easier when you address issues before they happen.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I don't really care as long as it's not too often or impeding the pace of the game to much.

If it's competitive and he misses a foul or a push or something like that, then that's on him...

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose one solution is to not stop shooting after a miss if they don't want their shot. Should you tell them about ball-in-hand if you foul?

But what I actually do.... If they're spending a lot of time on their phone or even wandering off to other tables to chat with friends, I just try to ignore them.

In a weekly practice session, we both might look at our phones briefly to see what the message was, but the vast majority of the time is spent watching the table. We also are both OK with the seated player going to the bar for a drink or to the bathroom if it looks like a run.

If you're in a match, no phone and breaks only between racks.
I like this young man, he clearly loves the game, but has only been playing a few years and has a lot to learn. I feel like I’m doing him a favor by playing sets against him for nothing, even though we always keep score, races to 7. I can only wish when I was his age I had an experienced player that would practice with me that I could learn from, that I would have become a far better player at a young age, so from that perspective it just bugs me that he should be more attentive while I’m shooting.

The obvious solution is I need to nicely explain this to him that it’s a matter of courtesy, and he should be trying to learn from what I’m doing as well as planning for his next trip to the table, while he is in his seat observing. Obviously he can’t be doing either while he is preoccupied by his phone.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Unless it's a call that is about your kids or family health, I'd say let it roll over.
Maybe more annoying than talking on the phone is constantly texting.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Yeah, it's disrespectful but who cares. I'd be surprised if you find anyone under 25-30 that isn't on their phone all the time. Don't play them if you don't want. Better yet, play them for money because their brain isn't trained to focus for more than a minute on any one thing. You have a major advantage in many cases. Just remember to tune your mental game to not shark yourself with a non issue.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've played a couple of guys that are on their phone while I shoot and frankly, it doesn't bother me.

And really, if you're paying that much attention to the guy in the chair, you're paying attention to the wrong things. In fact, I kinda like it because it tells me the guy is not focused on the game and that is to my advantage.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking might be considered a shark by some people but it wouldn't bother me. Texting? I'd say you have thin skin if that bothers you. It isn't a library.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
why is it disrespectful. he does what he does, that is his personality. if you dont like it dont play with him. simple as that.
and maybe he doesnt look at the game as you doing him a favor, as just someone he is playing with.
maybe you are looking for respect in the wrong location.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone is just texting occasionally then that sure the heck beats them saying can we take a break I need to make a phone call. Texting actually eliminates phone calls. Unless you would rather pay table time while someone’s talking on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your playing for fun who cares

If your playing in a league, tournament or for money and he’s talking on the phone yes it’s rude.

Texting I couldn’t care less. I will say I generally don’t call fouls on myself but if your talking or texting and not paying attention to the game I’m ABSOLUTELY NOT calling a foul on myself.

Lastly Ive playing competitively for the last 30 years so it wouldn’t throw me off in anyway (Cause me to miss etc) I just thing it’s rude.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rude, bad etiquette..whatever. Play pool. Leave the phone alone. Going for coffee...absolutely. Make it 2. Regular black for me. I'm buying.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I like this young man, he clearly loves the game, but has only been playing a few years and has a lot to learn. I feel like I’m doing him a favor by playing sets against him for nothing, even though we always keep score, races to 7. I can only wish when I was his age I had an experienced player that would practice with me that I could learn from, that I would have become a far better player at a young age, so from that perspective it just bugs me that he should be more attentive while I’m shooting.

The obvious solution is I need to nicely explain this to him that it’s a matter of courtesy, and he should be trying to learn from what I’m doing as well as planning for his next trip to the table, while he is in his seat observing. Obviously he can’t be doing either while he is preoccupied by his phone.
You know the old saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Best to let him make up his own mind on the subject, take a cool drink of water, or continue to slowly die of dehydration for years to come. You might have his best intentions in mind, but it's up to him how he lives his life.

If someone isn't looking for a mentor, just give them a good thrashing on the table and keep your mouth shut. If they want a mentor and ask questions, sure, help them learn to love the game as much as you do. Sometimes a person just have to take many ass whippings before they're ready to learn. Some people are masochists and just like taking a whipping. Some get sick of it and try to improve.

Limeymc

Registered
There is a non-violent solution to this.

Play him 5 or 10 bucks a game. Lose around 50 bucks intentionally. Pay him/her in pennies (Pesos, if you want that "international flare"). A giant bag of pennies. Just tell him/her, "Hey, it's all there." They still may insist on changing it out, counting, etc. Just tell them to hold on a second and make a cell phone call. Just talk away while he/she is left still figuring this out and trying to talk with you. Take a selfie with them in the background when finished, then walk away. All this will "fit" into the millennial mindset and to some, a very select few, you will be the hero. The hero that is talked about for decades to come, as you walk out of that pool hall with eyes starring at you in wonder and various masks of all kinds being worn. "Well done", some will say. You just nod and take your pool cue, yourself and your mask right the hell out of there to shoot another day.
Wasnt there a NASCAR driver who got fined $50,000 and showed up with brinks trucks and paid it all in pennies

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The actual use of a cell phone is not what the problem is--it is the noise added and the time delay.

When someone is using a phone, I give them 30 seconds after the last ball stop moving, and then pick up the free BIH from "delay of game". {It helps when the posted rules have a 30 second per shot rule in writing.}

Geosnookery

There is never a cell phone even glanced at in our Snooker league. No rules about them but just common courtesy. Not even any fidgeting if within the shooter’s range of vision.

In the two pool leagues I play In it varies, one is mostly players over 50...we play with usually 20 seconds max between shots...No rule but just the accepted norm. Nobody is finishing off a text when time to play. Anyone on a phone would get ‘the evil eye’

In the other league it’s ages mid 20’s to 70’s. A mishmash with half the younger players with cell phone fixation. I don't ever get upset but they sense that if they are at my table that you do NOT look at your phone. I never say anything but there is way of moving the game along at a decent pace. Shoot , stand up and stare at them...just need to do it a couple times if they are not paying attention.