Opponent on Cell Phone - Disrespectful ?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking might be considered a shark by some people but it wouldn't bother me. Texting? I'd say you have thin skin if that bothers you. It isn't a library.
Not any more, it appears, since a quiet pool room seems something relegated to history. A distracted opponent is shirking his responsibility as referee. His job is to keep you honest (and thus focused), and IMHO to rack for you so your thread of focus is not interrupted. His inattention IS sharking.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not any more, it appears, since a quiet pool room seems something relegated to history. A distracted opponent is shirking his responsibility as referee. His job is to keep you honest (and thus focused), and IMHO to rack for you so your thread of focus is not interrupted. His inattention IS sharking.
You are easily sharked.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It just wouldn't be polite to put someone in the electric chair then complain about their little phone!
Nick :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Disrespectful is about right, put your phone on silent, if it vibers, and is no an EMERGENCY CALL. Be polite, and wait until action, set, or match is over.

People live on the phones, I see zero reason to do it. Live on a phone.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
People live on the phones, I see zero reason to do it. Live on a phone.
I don't do it and I don't condone it, but it's kind of like the tetris effect. A lot of people feel their life is going nowhere and they have no control, the little black rectangle serves a hit of dopamine and lets them forget their anxiety. The bad part is, never reflecting on anything and distracting yourself from anxiety just feeds the loop and makes it worse. I honestly think most people play on their phones all the time because of today's high stress, which is partially caused by being plugged in all the time. Ever set in a forest or watched a stream, watched some birds in the park? No stress there. It's almost like the modern world and eliminating any ties to nature causes stress. But if you measure a person's worth in how much you can advertise to them and how much of their attention you can sap from them, spending time with nature and bullshitting with friends is a worthless activity that lessens the time you have the attention of your potential demographic. Here's your hit of dopamine sir, don't worry about that pool game, your opponent will wait. It's actually being considerate of them, it gives them time to check their phone too. ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Anybody I play a match or gamble with can use their cell all they want..I figure it’s an edge for me.
Same as listening to music.
But if they question whether I called ‘push’...I tell them that’s their problem...they aren’t going to
make it mine

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I ne'er had a cell phone my whole working life, did have page, and did use old coin operated pay phone that were everywhere. Today pay phone are only in Airport I am told as I do not fly. Plus apprently they are used with a credit card.

Do have cell phone, and do use it infrequently, it is for an emergency. Yes you can send & get TEXT MESAGE, that I have. Calling is faster, more efficient, and I know a answer to simple question fast.

I get it that some people live on phones, love living life texting, and being on Facebook, Twitters, and other social media platforms.

If I was plying in a Bar Tournment, and my opponent pickup their Cell phone and started long conversation. I might say play pool, or take the loss of match, set or what ever. If it's a Tournment, I would ask TD to disqualify person.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Well I ne'er had a cell phone my whole working life, did have page, and did use old coin operated pay phone that were everywhere. Today pay phone are only in Airport I am told as I do not fly. Plus apprently they are used with a credit card.

Do have cell phone, and do use it infrequently, it is for an emergency. Yes you can send & get TEXT MESAGE, that I have. Calling is faster, more efficient, and I know a answer to simple question fast.

I get it that some people live on phones, love living life texting, and being on Facebook, Twitters, and other social media platforms.

If I was plying in a Bar Tournment, and my opponent pickup their Cell phone and started long conversation. I might say play pool, or take the loss of match, set or what ever. If it's a Tournment, I would ask TD to disqualify person.
Texting is handy when interacting with those that talk too much.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is never a cell phone even glanced at in our Snooker league. No rules about them but just common courtesy. Not even any fidgeting if within the shooter’s range of vision.

In the two pool leagues I play In it varies, one is mostly players over 50...we play with usually 20 seconds max between shots...No rule but just the accepted norm. Nobody is finishing off a text when time to play. Anyone on a phone would get ‘the evil eye’

In the other league it’s ages mid 20’s to 70’s. A mishmash with half the younger players with cell phone fixation. I don't ever get upset but they sense that if they are at my table that you do NOT look at your phone. I never say anything but there is way of moving the game along at a decent pace. Shoot , stand up and stare at them...just need to do it a couple times if they are not paying attention.
Well that’s not a surprise. You treat pocket billiards professionally with a respect that we don’t .

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never owned a table but a good deal of learning and performing and learning performing really requires solace. It's there that you build the conviction that'll stand you up in competition.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I check my emails for work when I'm playing. That being said, I'm always doing a double look while I'm doing this, being sure to have attention on the game and my opponent. Sometimes I just can't help it. Also sometimes I'll be picking music on the jukebox. Caveat - I don't do this in league matches or tournament play. And it's very rare I'll do it when gambling. This is when I'm just hitting balls with someone else or playing a set for nothing.
I've found the more attention I have on how my opponent is playing, the better I'll play, anyway.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You used to go in a bar and see people having a drink and actually TALKING to each other. Any more all you see is people lined-up staring at their third hand,errrrrr, phone. Pool is getting almost as bad. Instead of conversing/interacting with the other player all its become is two people in their little electronic cocoon hitting a shot when their turn. I just think its disrespectful and bad pool etiquette. How did players EVER survive pre-cellphone???

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Respect is not what it was long ago, just watch how people act. My buddy Steve was an M.D., he was a one man family practice. When he took call, for three other M.D. He share call with,, the phone ran at home.

If we were at his home, Whern he was on call he warn I might be getting call all day. We use to get together on Sunday, to watch sport. His calls were actually important.

Today people live on their phones texting. I think it a dumb way of communicating. Talking is better, faster, and more efficient.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
People should get real life's, talk to one another, there would be less problems in the world. Most people don't know neighbor's, they are afraid of the Sunshine.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody I play a match or gamble with can use their cell all they want..I figure it’s an edge for me.
Same as listening to music.
But if they question whether I called ‘push’...I tell them that’s their problem...they aren’t going to
make it mine
Exactly!! I really pay no attention to it but I’m not going to tell you when I fouled or pushed or anything. Pay attention.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You used to go in a bar and see people having a drink and actually TALKING to each other. Any more all you see is people lined-up staring at their third hand,errrrrr, phone. Pool is getting almost as bad. Instead of conversing/interacting with the other player all its become is two people in their little electronic cocoon hitting a shot when their turn. I just think its disrespectful and bad pool etiquette. How did players EVER survive pre-cellphone???
Get off my lawn hahaha! I agree with you. Why go somewhere and then spend the time talking to people somewhere else instead!