Orange County Members

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
Hello AZB!

I live in Orange County California, around Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, and Tustin. I try to shoot almost every day and usually go to a couple local places that I frequent (the Huddle, Garf's, Classic Q, Newport 5, Godfather's, Swinging Door, Blondies).

Now, I don't know if I'm getting sick of these places or if these places are getting sick of me but I need some more variety in my life (players & tables).

It would be great if some AZ members that live in the area could get together to hit a few every now and then. We could visit the different bars and halls in the area to find the places that fit us the best. I would like to find places that have good equipment with atmosphere that would be comfortable for us to enjoy hours of pool. I know there's got to be a few places I'm missing out on...

Can you help???

Do you live in the Orange County CA area?
Do you know where the best equipment in the area is?
Do you know where serious shooters hang out?

I appreciate your time in reading my post and any effort you can put in to help. Thank You AZB :eek:k:

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
Hello AZB!

I live in Orange County California, around Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, and Tustin. I try to shoot almost every day and usually go to a couple local places that I frequent (the Huddle, Garf's, Classic Q, Newport 5, Godfather's, Swinging Door, Blondies).

Now, I don't know if I'm getting sick of these places or if these places are getting sick of me but I need some more variety in my life (players & tables).

It would be great if some AZ members that live in the area could get together to hit a few every now and then. We could visit the different bars and halls in the area to find the places that fit us the best. I would like to find places that have good equipment with atmosphere that would be comfortable for us to enjoy hours of pool. I know there's got to be a few places I'm missing out on...

Can you help???

I appreciate your time in reading my post and any effort you can put in to help. Thank You AZB :eek:k:

You might want to try Shooters in HB (4 x Diamond 7-footer), Bart Pub in Garden Grove (3 x Diamond 7-foots) and alot of action at Patricks in Costa Mesa. Hearing alot of good things about this Monday night BCA league 909-821-8772, northern OC area. I haven't been shooting pool lately myself, busy with the kids.

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
serious players, your place would be hard times in bellflower, ca which isn't really in orange county, Danny K's in the city of Orange has tournaments mon,wed,thurs @ 7pm, and sat sun @1pm, also any day during the week you'll find someone to shoot with at Danny K's, I don't care for the tables but they're not bad, and it's a good crowd of people that hang out there

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Orange County is pretty much void of good pool halls. If you can stand the extra travel time, you would be best off making the trip to Hard Times. Its not that far outside of Orange County.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a regular at Danny K's. Like mentioned above, Dannys isn't your place if you're looking for serious action or equipment, but if you like to play 9 ball and/or one pocket for between $5/Game to $50/Set, you'll find it there. The tables play pretty decent and are maintained pretty well.

Foolio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a 10 man, $100 added tournament going on right now in Laguna Niguel. :grin-square:

I spent most of my childhood in Laguna Niguel! I really do miss living there. For some reason I really liked the early morning fog.

Shanks, there are good pool halls in Orange County, it's just that some are "hidden." I do believe the good pool halls are in Santa Ana and Garden Grove. My absolute favorite pool hall is in Santa Ana. If you go west on the 22, get off on Harbor, make a left, and another left when you get to Westminister you will find it. It is on the left hand side and there is a sign that reads "Santa Ana Billiards."

I think the reason I love this place is that people there really enjoy billiards. They have 5 or 6 carom tables (Verhoevens), 6 pool tables (I believe GC's), and a 12 ft snooker table (which always has golf action, always). They even have bleacher stlye seats in front of the snooker table. I haven't been there in about a year but pool was 7/hr and 3cush was 8/hr. It's mainly a hispanic players hall, but it is Santa Ana. I've seen King Kong there on occasion. If you do go try to go in the afternoon. At night the younger non-players go and it can get packed especially on the weekends. But you should definitely check it out. Oh, and it's "just pool mister." No alcohol, but they have sodas and snacks.

If you smoke and enjoy beer and don't mind driving, go to Lake Forest. There's a bar there that has 5 barboxes and free pool Sundays. The tables are not perfect but people tend to exaggerate about them. The place is called the Iron Mule. Be advised they smoke inside and it gets pretty smokey. It's on Bake and Trabuco in the middle of a strip mall next to El Pollo Loco. Just take the 5 south to Bake make a left and go 10 min to Trabuco.

Enjoy!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Hello AZB!

Can you help???

We have a BCAPL league at Big Shots in El Toro on Wednesday nights. Good group of people playing 8 Ball. They have about 8 9' Olhausens. It is not really an action room, but we have fun on league night snd the food is pretty good. Stop in one week.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Is the Shark Club in Costa Mesa still there?

It's still there, or at least it still pops up on yelp and such when I searched for it. But it never gets brought up as far has pool halls i OC go. I think the place became a "full time" night club years ago. I found one site that had a picture gallery of the place and there was only one pic of a table in one of those private rooms. The rest in the main room are probably gone.

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate all the posts and info you guys shared. The invites are great too and I can't wait to be able to shoot with people who love pool as much as I do.

I'll definitely be going to Danny K's, Santa Ana Billiards, Patrick's, and Big Shots in the coming weeks. I'll have to bring my game up a bit before I head down to Hard Times though. First stop, I think is going to be those Diamond tables that Donny recommended.

Anybody wanna come along to shoot a few and check out some new rooms?

JohnnyShakes

Hill/Hill w/ 1 ball ghost
Silver Member
If you check out Bart's Pub in Garden Grove, they have a pretty nice B/C tournament on Thursday and Sunday nights. $10 entry, 8-ball, race to 1, double elimination. Starts at 9pm. They also have a tournament on Tuesday night that is open to anyone who is rated 13 and under at Hard Times (I think that is the cut off). Same format, and the bar adds $100. You get some pretty strong players there, and if you are looking for action there are probably some people who will accommodate you.

Danny K's is probably the nicest room around. It's kinda like what Classic Q's would be like if people who went there took pool seriously. The tables aren't bad, and their tournaments are a good deal. Just watch out if you play in them. The people at Danny K's whine about handicaps more than APA league players. But for the most part, they are good people. If you can run more than 3 balls in a row, they are going to ***** about your rating.

I go to Big Shots in Lake Forest a lot. The tables aren't great, but it's close to my house, and they have the only 9' tables nearby. As Mitch said, the food is good, and the table rates aren't bad. $10/hr after 6pm. They roll a little funny, but they replaced the cloth a few months ago and that made a big difference. Before they were terrible. Now they are tolerable.

I've been meaning to check out Games Plus in Costa Mesa. They have lots of 9' tables, and I heard a rumor that Oscar and Ernesto performed their magic on one of the tables there, and now it has 4" pockets. I've heard there are tournaments there as well, but I can't remember the day. Monday or Tuesday, maybe.

There is also Rack and Cue in Stanton. Lots of Brunswick 9 footers, but they aren't maintained very well. They have a handicapped 9-ball tournament on Monday night starting at 8. Race to 4 winners side, 3 losers side. $10 entry, double elimination. Handicapping is done by the tournament director. Usually consists of giving the breaks, or the 8 or both. From time to time you'll get some really good players in there.

I don't usually go anywhere to play pool unless they have the big tables. I don't mind the bar tables, but you don't really have to go searching for them. They seem to be everywhere. I get enough of them playing in an APA league. I'm sure there are a lot of other places that I'm missing, but the ones I mentioned are the ones that I go out of my way to visit.

Johnny

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
That's the type of info I need. Thank you Johnny.

It looks like I'll have to adjust my list of halls to visit. Games plus and Big Shots look to be the best halls semi-close to my house. I'll have to make to league night at Big Shots soon, I'd like to meet some local AZ'ers. I'll be going to Bart's and Shooter's to check out those Diamond Tables next week.

Games plus in Costa Mesa sounds like it could be a good room to frequent. They have 20 tables there and even one Brunswick championship table. I called them and the guys sound like they're serious about pool. There is a Wednesday night 8-Ball tournament that could be pretty spicy. Tuesday's they have dollar beer night and I'm sure there's other stuff during the week that I don't know about yet.

Danny K's sounds legit as well but I just don't get out that way very often. I'll definitely be stopping into Danny K's, Rack n Cue, and Bart's Pub in the coming weeks. I'll be contacting a few of you to see if you want to meet up to hit a few. If anybody wants to join... Feel free to PM me :grin:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Not familiar with it so can't help you there. But if you're interested in meeting a few of us there is a BCAPL 8 Ball league at Big Shots in El Toro tomorrow night, starting at 7 PM.

JohnnyShakes

Hill/Hill w/ 1 ball ghost
Silver Member
Not familiar with it so can't help you there. But if you're interested in meeting a few of us there is a BCAPL 8 Ball league at Big Shots in El Toro tomorrow night, starting at 7 PM.

And the new season is only two weeks old, so if you want to join a team, I'm sure we can find you one.

Johnny

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
Any OC players up for a some pool tonight? I was thinking of trying International Billiards since I've never been there.

jaime

There's a bar box tournament at Barts Pub every Tuesday. Played there last week, nice tournament. Starts at 8pm. I'm playing in the tournament at Danny K's tomorrow.