Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

something_pool

Registered
Dude, you're making a mistake here in going against Freddie. He has an established name in the pool industry, is a well-known match commentator, has a comprehensive grasp of pool industry, and I dare say I trust his word more than I do someone posting under the moniker "something_pool" with a single-digit post count to his name. Exactly who are you, anyway?

See, that's the problem with these wild-wild-west anonymous boards; one can say anything they want under an anonymous label, whereas social media at least keeps you honest because you're posting under either your real name or at least a name that can be tracked directly to a person.

-Sean

Dude: it doesn't really matter who I am or what my credentials are. There is literally a video of Mosconi talking about this issue.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Dude: it doesn't really matter who I am or what my credentials are. There is literally a video of Mosconi talking about this issue.

Yeah he was talking smack. People here know he missed, he knows he missed and every other time he admitted it. Your going on about the 1 that you like against all of reality

It does matter though who you be. Me, I’m jeff and I’d like to play you in some pool. Because I’ll win and then you will definitively be wrong...in everything

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

And there is literally a book, written by Mosconi, co-authored by a sports historian, that was fact-checked as part of any editing/publishing process -- something that training videos don't go through because they are not fact-oriented as they are demonstration-oriented.

And yes, it does matter who you are, because you are the one arguing the point.
-Sean

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I think you're misunderstanding what this video is. I'm not claiming that this is a video *of his 526 run.* It's just an instructional video he made where he teaches you how to play pool. As such, it doesn't make any difference whether it was edited or not. The relevant part is at the end, where Mosconi is being interviewed about his 526 run. Here he says that his run ended voluntarily. So essentially you have two pieces of evidence -- a quote in a book which says his run ended on a miss, and a quote in a video which says it ended not on a miss. These are equally valid kinds of evidence -- they're both quotes from Mosconi himself! There's no issue of standing the test of time.

Never dealt much with senior citizens have you ?
In only the eyes of politician or a preacher would this be equal evidence.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know what to say to you here other than *watch the GD video*. Mosconi is very specific about what run he's talking about: he says 526. If he were talking about one of the 600 runs you seem to think he is, he would have said so. Clearly, you're convinced that you know what Mosconi meant even though in the video he clearly says the opposite of what you're saying.

So you are asking the world to believe, Willie allowed an biography to go into print and distribution with the description of him missing at 526...but in real life, he just gave up?
You obviously never heard about how stubborn Willie was and how he never would've allowed his pool game to be falsely reported.

Once again, you are saying Willie allowed the book to be printed width a false story?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that there are conflicting reports from even Mosconi himself on whether he in fact missed or quit. I've never seen that book that you quoted, so thanks for sharing. But in this video interview, you can see Mosconi himself say that he never missed, but quit voluntarily: https://www.youtube.com/embed/qRKw56oAA-E (at ~7:18 in the video). Whatever the truth is, whether he missed or not, isn't really the point, though.

The substantive point is: 526 is not a magic number, and whether he missed or not, I don't believe it was even the best Mosconi could do. Mosconi didn't set out to set a high run record -- he just sort of continued playing after winning a match. The records you see in other sports like the fastest mile, or the long jump record, etc, are not at all comparable to the 526 record, since in these sports, the top pros are constantly actively trying to break the record, and there is a financial reward for breaking it. But hardly any of the top pros have ever really tried to break the 14.1 record because there's no reason to.

Collectively, we have been over this many times before.

Mosconi said in his official autobiography that he missed.

Second, the "Springfield News-Sun" reported on the run and interviewed witnesses who saw him miss. The story went national via Associated Press the next day.

Lastly, consider that when the video was made Mosconi was almost 70 and may have been showing signs of the Alzheimers that eventually killed him.

Lou Figueroa

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collectively, we have been over this many times before.

Mosconi said in his official autobiography that he missed.

Second, the "Springfield News-Sun" reported on the run and interviewed witnesses who saw him miss. The story went national via Associated Press the next day.

Lastly, consider that when the video was made Mosconi was almost 70 and may have been showing signs of the Alzheimers that eventually killed him.

Lou Figueroa

Exactly. It's funny the things some people pick to argue about.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very many arguments, but some of you conflate, and some of you confuse. I've seen above, some of you think he quit on 526, 589 and 609. Some have cited videos. I think, here are the facts. Feel free to correct me, but if you do, at least come with evidence.

The 526:

From Willie, on an interview with ABC's Wide World of Sports, Bill Fleming, Willie said he quit after the run of 526. This video was quite a while ago, maybe the 60s or 70s. Willie was not showing any signs of Alzeimers in that video. In fact, he was perfectly healthy in the early 80s legends tournaments in Atlantic City. So let's put the Alzeimers to rest as an excuse for the early video recount of quitting at 526.

Still on 526, When Willie played Jimmy Caras later in life, Pat Fleming asked him how the 526 run ended. Willie said, he quit. That was quite later, and I think Alzeimers, plus some surgery may have had some effect on his memory. Given evidence, I do think he missed on 527.

The 589, Charlie Ursitti does provide some history, that I've provided below, and I do take his word that he quit on 589.

The 609, is a bit of an enigma. Willie says he did it, but does not describe the ending. I've provided that below too, even though I've shown it on another thread. Some of you think he quit on that too, and I'd like to see evidence. So far, I've not.

I like documentation rather than hearsay, but admittedly, if I know the integrity and character of a person, that goes a long way. Anyhow, hope this provides some clarity, jogs some memories, etc. Also hope it fills in some holes when you talk about some Mosconi video. There is an earlier one with Bill Fleming and a later one with Pat Fleming.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Mosconi Run 1.jpg
    Mosconi Run 1.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Mosconi Run 2.jpg
    Mosconi Run 2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think any one who can run 250-300 balls definitely has th3 skill to run 600, they would only need to work on stamina and mind control part of things, the rest is just trying until conditions align. I also agree with earlier post that willie was unbeatable but John is just a average pro to these other pros, so I think the more this is discussed and the more egos are hurt the faster it will be broken. An Ego is worth more than a check when your already live comfortably

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very many arguments, but some of you conflate, and some of you confuse. I've seen above, some of you think he quit on 526, 589 and 609. Some have cited videos. I think, here are the facts. Feel free to correct me, but if you do, at least come with evidence.

The 526:

From Willie, on an interview with ABC's Wide World of Sports, Bill Fleming, Willie said he quit after the run of 526. This video was quite a while ago, maybe the 60s or 70s. Willie was not showing any signs of Alzeimers in that video. In fact, he was perfectly healthy in the early 80s legends tournaments in Atlantic City. So let's put the Alzeimers to rest as an excuse for the early video recount of quitting at 526.

Still on 526, When Willie played Jimmy Caras later in life, Pat Fleming asked him how the 526 run ended. Willie said, he quit. That was quite later, and I think Alzeimers, plus some surgery may have had some effect on his memory. Given evidence, I do think he missed on 527.

The 589, Charlie Ursitti does provide some history, that I've provided below, and I do take his word that he quit on 589.

The 609, is a bit of an enigma. Willie says he did it, but does not describe the ending. I've provided that below too, even though I've shown it on another thread. Some of you think he quit on that too, and I'd like to see evidence. So far, I've not.

I like documentation rather than hearsay, but admittedly, if I know the integrity and character of a person, that goes a long way. Anyhow, hope this provides some clarity, jogs some memories, etc. Also hope it fills in some holes when you talk about some Mosconi video. There is an earlier on with Bill Fleming and a later one with Pat Fleming.

All the best,
WW

I’m not a doctor, are you?

My mother-in-law died from the complications of Alzheimer’s and one thing I can tell you is that the earliest signs of the disease are things like forgetting small details from the past, dates, appointments and such while all else is normal.

Mosconi died from complications of Alzheimer’s perhaps a decade later. It is possible that his confusing things was an early sign of what was to come while he otherwise looked great. Maybe, maybe not, but possible.

Lou Figueroa

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

My mother-in-law died from the complications of Alzheimer’s and one thing I can tell you is that the earliest signs of the disease are things like forgetting small details from the past, dates, appointments and such while all else is normal.

Mosconi died from complications of Alzheimer’s perhaps a decade later. It is possible that his confusing things was an early sign of what was to come while he otherwise looked great. Maybe, maybe not, but possible.

Lou Figueroa

Lou:

I know you're down there in St. Louis(?), but I wonder if there's a way one of our locals there in Springfield OH can go to the local library and look through the microfiche for copies of those newspaper articles with the interviews of the local attendees, and post a picture up here on AZB? That would go a l-o-n-g way to finally putting a kabash on all these inflated rumors. Heck, if Willie did just quit on the 526, I'll gladly eat crow publicly. But I don't think I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

-Sean

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Lou, Willie died in 1993. The Bill Fleming video is obviously 60s.

Do you honestly think Willie had Alzeimers for something like 30 years? Obviously you don't, with your account of a decade. Same with my dad.

Come on, give it a rest. I do agree that he had it when he played Caras, but not in those earlier days. That is not a good excuse for him to say he quit in that interview. I think he just wanted to sound like he didn't miss. I watched him in person in the early 80s, and he was absolutely fine, both at the table, and at interviews with Allen Hopkins, and Kim Prince from ESPN.

Please, stop this nonsense. Nobody lives with Alzeimers for 30 years.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou:

I know you're down there in St. Louis(?), but I wonder if there's a way one of our locals there in Springfield OH can go to the local library and look through the microfiche for copies of those newspaper articles with the interviews of the local attendees, and post a picture up here on AZB? That would go a l-o-n-g way to finally putting a kabash on all these inflated rumors. Heck, if Willie did just quit on the 526, I'll gladly eat crow publicly. But I don't think I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

-Sean

Sean, the story was picked up by AP.

A search of their archive should do it. I’d look but am kinda busy right now except for short bursts.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, Willie died in 1993. The Bill Fleming video is obviously 60s.

Do you honestly think Willie had Alzeimers for something like 30 years?

Come on, give it a rest. I do agree that he had it when he played Caras, but not in those earlier days. That is not a good excuse for him to say he quit in that interview. I think he just wanted to sound like he didn't miss. I watched him in person in the early 80s, and he was absolutely fine, both at the table, and at interviews with Allen Hopkins, and Kim Prince from ESPN.

Please, stop this nonsense. Nobody lives with Alzeimers for 30 years.

All the best,
WW

I could be wrong but when I looked at the video I could have sworn I saw 1980 as the date of the video.

Lou Figueroa

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I could be wrong but when I looked at the video I could have sworn I saw 1980 as the date of the video.

Lou Figueroa

Even if the video was made in the 70s, you think Alzeimers was clouding his memory? I don't think so, seeing him live in the 80s. I think it was just part of his schtick. We've already established that he missed on 527.

But I do have to wonder, what are you arguing? I'm saying he probably ran 589 and 609. The 589 was witnessed by Charlie, and we're not sure about the 609, but given his integrity, I believe it. I'm not sure where you're going.

I think I've provided enough documentation above. You tend to provide words, nothing more.

All the best,
WW

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Even if the video was made in the 70s, you think Alzeimers was clouding his memory? I don't think so, seeing him live in the 80s. I think it was just part of his schtick. We've already established that he missed on 527.

But I do have to wonder, what are you arguing? I'm saying he probably ran 589 and 609. The 589 was witnessed by Charlie, and we're not sure about the 609, but given his integrity, I believe it. I'm not sure where you're going.

I think I've provided enough documentation above. You tend to provide words, nothing more.

All the best,
WW

WW:

Concerning the bolded red part, have we? It seems in Post #310 above you were arguing that Willie just quit on 527.

-Sean

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
WW:

Concerning the bolded red part, have we? It seems in Post #310 above you were arguing that Willie just quit on 527.

-Sean

Not me. I think Willie missed on 527. I was quoting Willie, not my opinion. What are you missing?

Here's the relevant from post 310:

"The 526:

Still on 526, When Willie played Jimmy Caras later in life, Pat Fleming asked him how the 526 run ended. Willie said, he quit."

Not sure where you were trying to go with this. We've established that Willie missed on 527.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not me. I think Willie missed on 527. What are you seeing?

All the best,
WW

In the first two paragraphs:

You were doing this quite compellingly, but now I see the last red-bolded sentence. Other than that last sentence and given the information you were sharing, it would seem you believed he just quit, so what "evidence" convinced you that he missed?

-Sean

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
In the first two paragraphs:

You were doing this quite compellingly, but now I see the last red-bolded sentence. Other than that last sentence and given the information you were sharing, it would seem you believed he just quit, so what "evidence" convinced you that he missed?

-Sean

Various accounts that had Willie missing, not quitting. I believe the 6 ball in the corner pocket.

Read more carefully. I was giving accounts of others, as they were relevant to the thread. But I always say what I believe, and why.

All the best,
WW

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Various accounts that had Willie missing, not quitting. I believe the 6 ball in the corner pocket.

Read more carefully. I was giving accounts of others, as they were relevant to the thread. But I always say what I believe, and why.

All the best,
WW

Someone has a hair across his petutie. :D You need to read more carefully, as I was kindly asking the question, "have we?" conversationally in reply to your "we've already established he missed" thing. As you can tell from the plethora of replies from folks that come out of woodwork (including user accounts with singe-digits or early-teens postcounts), we've definitely not established that he missed.

I am in possession of "Willie's Game: An Autobiography" so I'm firmly in the "missed" camp.

And oh yes, you may not be familiar with me, as I've had a long hiatus (by choice) from these forums, preferring social media instead, but trust me, I'm also one that speaks his mind with complete clarity, no beating around the bushes. ;)

-Sean