orcullo vs. Barouti in straight pool. Ur thoughts

uwate said:
I dunno Jay...Orcullo won the last 2 times they played 14.1.

Maybe you should offer a different line like you did with Yang/Orcullo.

Orcullo did NOT win the last two times. He's won 2 out of 3, but in last year's WORLD TOURNAMENT, Dennis was knocked out in the elimination stages by.... Danny Barouty.

Jay, referring to Danny Barouty as merely a "very good straight pool player" is bordering on lunacy. But I know you're just trying to get a bet ;)... I'd oblige, but I already have, with others, up to my limit.

- Steve
 
Hmmm tough choice.

I was stood right behind Dennis waiting to take my shot when he missed on 100+ against hatch, a very high quality match in which I think Hatch replied with a 90ish. It was an absolute sitter and he sure was pissed with himself (the object ball was almost on the spot and the cue ball about 6 inches away just off straight!).

I rate Dennis higher than most at 14.1 just because he just doesn't miss as much as others and he isn't scared to take the tough shot on (and make it) if it makes life easier and is the right shot.

Tighter the pockets Dennis more fav, looser and Danny has better chance.
 
Just want to elaborate on my post. Jay, I hope you know I'm not one of these googans who thinks the local hometown hero is the best player on the planet. That is far from the case.

In my opinion, as in yours I assume, "great" should by synonomous with "world-class". Anything else cheapens the term. Danny is a world-class 14.1 player, though obviously not one of the greatest who has ever played. He has shortcomings, and it's fair to say I might know them better than anyone else. But he has a ton of heart, enough gamble, a hatred of losing, and an ability to move on and off the table with the best of them. Once you add in his actual expertise in straight pool, he can't be a huge underdog to anyone.

Ask Allen Hopkins if he thinks Danny is a "very good" or "great" straight pool player.

My guess is the game isn't going to come off anyway, because as last time, Dennis will probably try to raise the bet, freeze up money, and who knows what else. And Danny will tell him the same thing he did then, "When you leave, turn left, walk 12,000 miles, and stop in Manila."

- Steve
 
Steve Lipsky said:
Just want to elaborate on my post. Jay, I hope you know I'm not one of these googans who thinks the local hometown hero is the best player on the planet. That is far from the case.

In my opinion, as in yours I assume, "great" should by synonomous with "world-class". Anything else cheapens the term. Danny is a world-class 14.1 player, though obviously not one of the greatest who has ever played. He has shortcomings, and it's fair to say I might know them better than anyone else. But he has a ton of heart, enough gamble, a hatred of losing, and an ability to move on and off the table with the best of them. Once you add in his actual expertise in straight pool, he can't be a huge underdog to anyone.

Ask Allen Hopkins if he thinks Danny is a "very good" or "great" straight pool player.

My guess is the game isn't going to come off anyway, because as last time, Dennis will probably try to raise the bet, freeze up money, and who knows what else. And Danny will tell him the same thing he did then, "When you leave, turn left, walk 12,000 miles, and stop in Manila."

- Steve

Absolutely nothing against Danny intended here. I think he plays an excellent game of 14.1 and may well beat Dennis if they play. I would have to rate him in the current top ten of all 14.1 players. I have seen him play and I like his game.

What's happening here is that I have a willingness to gamble, unlike some others who occasionally post on here. I don't need way the best of it to make a bet. I just need a fair chance to win and a good horse who I know will be trying hard. I like the fact that Dennis has traveled everywhere in the last year or so, pursuing his craft and taking on everyone and anyone at all games. To me this is the mark of a champion. And Dennis is one.

He doesn't just look for the "right" game with the "right" player at the "right" time. He is more than willing to play somebody else game, as long as it's on a pool table.
 
jay helfert said:
He doesn't just look for the "right" game with the "right" player at the "right" time. He is more than willing to play somebody else game, as long as it's on a pool table.
I'd gamble with Dennis any day of the week playing chess on a pool table. :p
 
Steve Lipsky said:
Just want to elaborate on my post. Jay, I hope you know I'm not one of these googans who thinks the local hometown hero is the best player on the planet. That is far from the case.

In my opinion, as in yours I assume, "great" should by synonomous with "world-class". Anything else cheapens the term. Danny is a world-class 14.1 player, though obviously not one of the greatest who has ever played. He has shortcomings, and it's fair to say I might know them better than anyone else. But he has a ton of heart, enough gamble, a hatred of losing, and an ability to move on and off the table with the best of them. Once you add in his actual expertise in straight pool, he can't be a huge underdog to anyone.

Ask Allen Hopkins if he thinks Danny is a "very good" or "great" straight pool player.

My guess is the game isn't going to come off anyway, because as last time, Dennis will probably try to raise the bet, freeze up money, and who knows what else. And Danny will tell him the same thing he did then, "When you leave, turn left, walk 12,000 miles, and stop in Manila."

- Steve

Steve,

Not trying to be condescending but your last statement sounded like Barouty is reluctant to play Dennis. If what you stated are facts about Barouty's skills, then he should not have any problem getting up to the table.

He should be glad that somebody if is willing to gamble with him with all his credentials that you presented. I don't know Barouty personally but what I read from your thread, he is an accomplished 14.1 player whereas Dennis is still learning the game. The thing with Dennis though is he is not shy about trying new games and he's got a lot of gamble.

I say Barouty should say something to the effect of "Bring it on" to Dennis anytime.



Bayawak aka tirador
"You got the 8 for life!!"
 
NYC cue dude said:
tommorow 3pm. At masters in queens. Races to 150. 500 per game. No freeze up.
So it's 3:30pm. Is it going down right now?
 
Bayawak said:
Steve,

Not trying to be condescending but your last statement sounded like Barouty is reluctant to play Dennis. If what you stated are facts about Barouty's skills, then he should not have any problem getting up to the table.

He should be glad that somebody if is willing to gamble with him with all his credentials that you presented. I don't know Barouty personally but what I read from your thread, he is an accomplished 14.1 player whereas Dennis is still learning the game. The thing with Dennis though is he is not shy about trying new games and he's got a lot of gamble.

I say Barouty should say something to the effect of "Bring it on" to Dennis anytime.



Bayawak aka tirador
"You got the 8 for life!!"


Not condescending at all. You did misread the intent, though. When Danny got there to play a couple weeks ago, they had previously agreed to certain terms. Danny gets there, and Dennis wanted to change basically all of them.

It's a classic move, designed to get in the head of the guy you're going to gamble with. Any player who's been around the block knows, as soon as that happens, you have only one choice if you don't plan to give in - you tell the guy to get lost.

As soon as someone sees he can start dictating all the terms of the bet, he has you. It's akin to someone refusing to play on a table you choose that neither of you know, or bringing a cueball out of his case and saying, "let's play with this" (I've seen it), and so on.

From my understanding, and I admittedly wasn't there, Dennis wanted to change almost every part of the agreement. Only a fool would agree to the changes, no matter how innocuous they might seem.

- Steve
 
what Steve said about the last attempt to match up is true.
even this time, dennis attempted to get danny to freeze up. Danny comments were, " you have been in this country for 8 minutes, u can't tell me what to do".
anyway, they are playing, right now.

Rg
 
NYC cue dude said:
what Steve said about the last attempt to match up is true.
even this time, dennis attempted to get danny to freeze up. Danny comments were, " you have been in this country for 8 minutes, u can't tell me what to do".
anyway, they are playing, right now.

Rg
Thanks Randy. Any interesting conditions or terms that we should be aware of?
 
U gotta luv Dannys quips, I still chuckle about the pink bridge he pulled out playing me last year. Had quite a bit of banter during our match, funny guy.
 
Photo from the first match
 

Attachments

  • DSC00188.jpg
    DSC00188.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 410
If my memory serves, that's the tightest table at Masters on which they are playing.
 
Neil said:
Notice Danny's stroke in that picture! The elbow hasn't dropped an iota. And the butt of the cue has only changed elevation about 1/8-1/4 inch.

Orcullo obviously has the butt of his cue WAY too low!

hehe funny, but good observation
 
Back
Top