• HOPP11.jpg
    HOPP11.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Dry fit band.
Epoxied later and re-face after epoxy dries.

Attachments

• Hoppc2.jpg
    Hoppc2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Come on, a glue line or two gives a cue character ...why go to all the trouble to avoid them???

Just kidding, looks very clean. Nice work Joey :thumbup:

Thanks Dan.
You got it. Torque the sucker and squeeze em out.
I milled the ID and OD of that phen tube.

RBC

Deceased
4-flute end mill cuts really clean too.
Just make sure you were a respirator and eye protection when cuttin' phenolics.

Yea, that phenolic dust is pretty tough.

We don't have a good dust system on the gang lathe and when we cut phenolic rings the dust builds up. We cut threaded rings, about .300", from a 48" stick. We get about 120 a stick. After several sticks the phenolic dust is pretty thick! The .125" rings are even worse because we cut so many more of them at a time.

I like the looks of your ring, but I do have a question. If the white ring is captured, do you really need to thread it to the phenolic core? I don't find any fault with what you've done. Just thinking out loud.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Um....wow.

You guys amaze me.

I am of course just an observer, but that looks impressive to me. :thumbup:

vicieyem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi joey, pls pardon my ignorance. :embarrassed2:

what part of the cue does it go to? looks cool! :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi joey, pls pardon my ignorance. :embarrassed2:

what part of the cue does it go to? looks cool! :smile:

You're more brave than me...I wasn't going to ask.... :embarrassed2:

It's like staring in wonder at some beautifully machined part of a Mars lander. It's beautiful and I can appreciate that, but I have no idea what the hell it is.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Yea, that phenolic dust is pretty tough.

We don't have a good dust system on the gang lathe and when we cut phenolic rings the dust builds up. We cut threaded rings, about .300", from a 48" stick. We get about 120 a stick. After several sticks the phenolic dust is pretty thick! The .125" rings are even worse because we cut so many more of them at a time.

I like the looks of your ring, but I do have a question. If the white ring is captured, do you really need to thread it to the phenolic core? I don't find any fault with what you've done. Just thinking out loud.

It's one of those while I'm where why don't I just do it thingy.
It's definitely an overkill with that threaded sleeve pushing it against the butt sleeve should be enough.

For those who asked what it is, it's an antler piece as Hoppe ring at the bottom of the cue.

RBC

Deceased
It's definitely an overkill with that threaded sleeve pushing it against the butt sleeve should be enough.

For those who asked what it is, it's an antler piece as Hoppe ring at the bottom of the cue.

LOL!

That's kind of what I thought.

I definitely like that the threaded butt cap extends up through the Hoppe ring. I just like the extra thread length.

We thread all our joint collars and butt caps. We haven't always done it, but always planned to. Last year I picked up an old Hardinge/Omniturn and we are moving tons of our work to it.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member

What is the ID threaded for ??? To screw on the butt cap ??

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
What is the ID threaded for ??? To screw on the butt cap ??

Yes. The bottom tenon is threaded .
That way when someone slams the cue to the floor, it'll have more strength to stand abuse. Relying on just epoxy to hold it without mechanical bond dun't appeal to me.

swilliespeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very nice. I was wrong. You learn something every day.