Pad between ferrule and tip

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spacer

A few cue makers used to put on a tip ... then cut it down to the spacer size then put a new tip on the spacer. I think that "Zimmerman" in SF, back in the 50's/60's, started putting these on billiard cues.

swfan

Registered
Fiber pads

BVal said:
Will it make my break cue not hit as stiff?
Yes. I definately wouldn't put a pad on a break cue! Fiber pads behind cue tips original purpose was to protect ivory ferrules from cracking when the cue tip was worn down on the edges and it wouldn't serve any purpose on your break cue other than softening the hit, which isn't something you want on a break cue.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
BVal said:
What is the pad that goes between the ferrule and the shaft called and where could a person buy some? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for the commercial name for the pad so I can look some things up about it or if anyone knows any info. on it or just their opinion feel free to post it.

Thanks

If you are talking about the pad between the tip and the ferrule, its only purpose is to protect the ferrule. An accomplished cuemaker once told me that the pad was not needed and that I would experience a "better hit" without the pad so I removed the pad from my ivory ferrule. I like to play with shorter tips as compared to new, taller tips. I also break from time to time with my ivory ferrule cue and in less than 4 months, I had a cracked ivory ferrule. You also mentioned the pad between the ferrule and the shaft but I don't know what that is. I assume you were referring to the pad between the tip and the ferrule.

If it is your break cue, some people might tell you some things like, "you can feel the hit better with a break cue or you will get better feedback" or some other such spin. Personally I believe you can get better break results by studying Colin's break video on www.youtube.com.
JoeyA

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
If you are talking about the pad between the tip and the ferrule, its only purpose is to protect the ferrule. An accomplished cuemaker once told me that the pad was not needed and that I would experience a "better hit" without the pad so I removed the pad from my ivory ferrule. I like to play with shorter tips as compared to new, taller tips. I also break from time to time with my ivory ferrule cue and in less than 4 months, I had a cracked ivory ferrule. You also mentioned the pad between the ferrule and the shaft but I don't know what that is. I assume you were referring to the pad between the tip and the ferrule.

If it is your break cue, some people might tell you some things like, "you can feel the hit better with a break cue or you will get better feedback" or some other such spin. Personally I believe you can get better break results by studying Colin's break video on www.youtube.com.
JoeyA
I did not mean to say "between the ferrule and shaft" I meant ferrule and tip. Thank you for pointing that out. Funny how it took until page 3 for someone to notice that lol.

If I do put a pad on my break shaft are the positives or negatives really going to be that noticable? I am having a custom break cue made by Petree and he is making it look exactly like my playing cue so I really just wanted something to tell them apart a little easier. I am glad I made this thread, there are some really great and interesting opinions.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A fellow AZBer sent me some pads (thanks RIP) so I am going to try them out and post my opinions. They are actually really hard - not soft at all.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BVal said:
They are actually really hard - not soft at all.

See, that's why I generally don't buy the argument that it softens the hit. It def feels different, but the fiber pad is actually harder than the tip!

-Roger

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you take a cue and try a tip with a pad under it, and then take the same cue and put the same kind of tip but without a pad, you will definately feel the difference. Personally I have always thought the difference felt like the tip was loose (with pad) and the hit didnt have as good of feedback as it would without the pad. It just has a....... spongy, loose feeling to it for me.... dont know how to phrase it.
I would avoid them..... but you may try it and love it who knows.... :D
An ivor-x ferrule with moori medium is what I like best.
mooriinstalled.jpg

Chuck