Palmetto Billiard Academy - New Room in South Carolina

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came across this on my FB feed a few days ago. A brand new training academy in Charleston, SC. It looks really nice from the pictures. Brand new Predator tables. I think they are still in their soft opening phase. I may check it out in person later in the year, make a mini vacation out of it. It's a 5 hour drive for me. FB and website links below:

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
It's set up well. Plenty of space between the 9ft tables, just added 10 bar box Apex tables as well. Couple things left to tie up and they'll be off and running! They are having A/C repair done as we speak and waiting on lights to be hung over the 7' tables.

About 25 minutes from me, so I'll probably be in there hitting some on occasion. Hard to leave the GC at the house, lol.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's set up well. Plenty of space between the 9ft tables, just added 10 bar box Apex tables as well. Couple things left to tie up and they'll be off and running! They are having A/C repair done as we speak and waiting on lights to be hung over the 7' tables.

About 25 minutes from me, so I'll probably be in there hitting some on occasion. Hard to leave the GC at the house, lol.
Do you know if it will be a regular room with open tables, tournaments, etc, or only a room you go to for formal instruction? I wasn't clear on that from their site. I did see the monthly rates and they look very reasonable for serious players.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Did not click or read the link, but the last we heard around here is that it will be a "key club" of sorts... not sure how formal instruction fits in like that but I'm sure it'll be able to happen...

Also heard the pred tables have ~4.25" pockets from one of the ped pro events...

Hey Nick, next TWTS maybe we should go check it out? I'll have my people text your people lol

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Just read some of it... whoa... wtf...
Hourly

9-Foot and 7-Foot tables:​

• $15/hour per person, regular business hours only.​

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

PRICING for POOL​

Premier Membership

Monthly: $175
Annually: $1890 (save $210)​

• 24/7 access with reservation, and unlimited table time. Excludes carom table.
  • 15% off pro shop merchandise.
  • 50% off locker rental.
  • 1 hour free rental of a tier 3 cue.
  • 10 guest passes.
  • 50% off one training session.
  • Free entry to one PBA-hosted tournament per year.
  • 6-month minimum membership.
Standard Membership

Monthly: $100
Annually: $1080 (save $120)​

• Unlimited table time during business hours (9 a.m. - 11 p.m.). Excludes carom table.
  • 10% off pro shop merchandise.
  • 25% off locker rental.
  • 1 hour free rental of a tier 2 cue.
  • 5 guest passes.
  • 25% off one training session.
  • 3-month minimum membership.
Basic Membership

Monthly: $50​

• Five hours table time per month, during business hours. Excludes carom table.
  • 1 hour free rental of a tier 1 cue.
  • 1 guest pass.
  • 3-month minimum membership.
Hourly

9-Foot and 7-Foot tables:​

• $15/hour per person, regular business hours only.​

Carom tables:​

• TBD​

Pool Cue Rentals​

All rentals are per cue and hourly:
  • Tier 1 cue - $5
  • Tier 2 cue - $10
  • Tier 3 cue - $20

Locker Rentals​

$20 per month per locker; must provide you're own lock. We have locks available for $5 each.
Pricing for couples and families to be released soon!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean “woah”? $100 per month unlimited during business hours is dirt cheap.

The $15 per hr looks to be for people who don’t want the membership.

It looks like they have a membership tier that would cover all players to me.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
What do you mean “woah”? $100 per month unlimited during business hours is dirt cheap.

The $15 per hr looks to be for people who don’t want the membership.

It looks like they have a membership tier that would cover all players to me.
I mean, whoa to 2 people getting charged 30$ per hour to shoot pool at this place.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it looks like they are trying to encourage memberships. For $100 per month, unlimited play during business hrs, I would think every single AZB member would make a line out the door to buy that membership if they lived close by.

Me personally, the last few times I played at a hall cost me over $50 in table time each day, as I was gambling all day long.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
It does seem like they are enticing memberships... otherwise, imagine a ring game with 5 people costing 75$ for an hour of time... sheesh...

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if they will have food/drinks/etc. Or the entire revenue stream will come from memberships and table time.

I'd like to head there if/when they get their tournaments set up. The gf says she wants to go to Charleston anyway:)

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
No alcohol, no kitchen. Vending and a coffee bar are planned from what I know.

I'm sure they'll hold some larger events. A couple of Predator sponsored pros were at the soft opening, Payne Mcbride and The Pink Dagger. Seems like they have some backing from Predator, which is a plus.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if they will have food/drinks/etc. Or the entire revenue stream will come from memberships and table time.

I'd like to head there if/when they get their tournaments set up. The gf says she wants to go to Charleston anyway:)
The SPM article says they will be sorting things out for the first couple of years. It sounds like they will be concentrating on pool. There's a Waffle House within walking distance. (y)🥞

I'm guessing it's where the Family Dollar used to be:

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That SPM article is super good! I wish them the best.

A few highlights to me:

-She plans to expand and open more academy's in year 3-5. (I'd love to see others do this, whether it's Predator helping sponsor, or Diamond, or Matchroom, or Cuetec, etc).
-Lots of youth programs.
-No alcohol (so youths can be a priority, and to separate sport from "drunks".)
-Lots of tournaments, and the winners feed into the Predator Pro Billiards Series.
-Predator branded Carom table! I wonder who will make this? I just checked SAM, and they do offer a few carom tables. One looks very modern.

If we could get an academy like this in every city, we'd probably be on the top of the pool food chain again.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That SPM article is super good! I wish them the best.

A few highlights to me:

-She plans to expand and open more academy's in year 3-5. (I'd love to see others do this, whether it's Predator helping sponsor, or Diamond, or Matchroom, or Cuetec, etc).
-Lots of youth programs.
-No alcohol (so youths can be a priority, and to separate sport from "drunks".)
-Lots of tournaments, and the winners feed into the Predator Pro Billiards Series.
-Predator branded Carom table! I wonder who will make this? I just checked SAM, and they do offer a few carom tables. One looks very modern.

If we could get an academy like this in every city, we'd probably be on the top of the pool food chain again.
Glad you liked the SPM article. I wrote it. :)