Pay me now or Pay me later?

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
searingcue said:
Hi,
I have a different point of view, at least not one that I've seen mentioned yet.
I think we (The professional cuemaker/repair man) first owe it to the potential repair customer to first consider the value of the item you are being asked to work on. If the item is not worth the cost of the repair then we owe it to them to inform them. Dennis Searing

We have always done business in the manner which you speak and it is remarkable how many customers with $5-20 cues still want to spend $150+ for a Stack Leather Wrap etc...........

Sentimental value holds strong.

Strokerz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar experiance with a customer that wanted a custom shaft made, He was a regular but kind of weird guy, I knew this but he always paid for his work no haggle so when he wants this shaft made no problem. This particular shaft was from an older cue I cant even remember the name but it was a 5/16 18 thread with a long looking pilot. So I make the shaft and call the guy tell him his shaft is done it will be $125.00 ( a bargin at twice the price) he comes into the shop the next day ( I had my own shop at the time before I started here at Strokerz) he proceeds to tell me that the guy in his pool room in PA can order the shaft fot him for $100 and save him $25 so he dosent want the shaft. I expain to him thats fine but the next time he needs a tip to go to that guy or the next time he needs a cue rewrapped go to that guy as a matter of fact I say don't bother coming back into my shop if your gonna do that. SO the guy leaves. About a week later he calls and tells me he's sorry blah blah blah and if I still had the shaft he would take it. So I say ok that will be $175.00 + tax. Not a word of complaint. Just goes to show ya this buisness is not what its cracked up to be :rolleyes: My office has about 10 cues in it right now waiting to be picked up and all minor repairs not one over $30 and they will leave a $350 cue here instaed of pay me. :confused: Special cue orders from our pro shop I require 50% down and all new custom shafts I make require the same. Most repair work I do while they wait but if it takes a while or they cant wait I let them pay when they pick it up.

BK

Last edited:

Strokerz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats a good story Chris, The prices ya gotta pay to set up a most of these events is outrageous some events even make ya pay an extra charge for using their power:confused: So I don't blame the cue repair men for charging a few bucks more at tourneys to off set their costs.
BK
cueman said:
I can't remember anyone never picking up their cue after getting it repaired. But it may have happened as I have forgot alot in my 20 years of repairing cues. But I would like to share a story about one guy at a tournament years ago who stood by my lathe for a long time trying to get me to come down on my tip prices. I told him that is my price at tournaments because I have to pay to set up. But he could come by my shop during the week and pay a dollar less. What is funny is he finally handed me a lot of work to do and said he liked the fact I was firm. He told me that he knew then that I was confident my work was good enough for the price I charged and therefore trusted me. He was a road player at a pro topurnament and had me work on his cues many times after that. And he always referred to me as "the man that is firm." Then he would say, "I like him."
That was in the late 80's and I still don't haggle prices on repairs.