Perfect rack is bad for straight pool

kanzzo

hobby player
here is the opening break, which can be used on a perfect rack with quite a good percentage (I was about 75% after 40 tries). Here is a 10 min video...

(I did estimate a higher percentage for this ball on a perfect rack (more like 80-90%). I'd guess sometimes the magic rack (I used in the video) moves a little after a break. And I am not 10 out of 10 to pocket a spot ball so perhaps I sometimes just don't hit the ball, where I intend to. So I'd guess the lower percentage is mostly due to an imperfect rack but it's also possible I overestimated the possible percentage. But it's definitely better then one in three...)

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
here is how it works
View attachment 630465
this are the relevant 9 balls. If they are frozen and you aim full at the line of the 3 green balls, 5 goes in the line of green (going to the short rail)

if you aim to the orange line the the force gets transferred to orange and 5 goes in the direction of orange.

in between and it's basic physics, how the force gets divided in green and orange. So if you aim the first ball full to the 5 when it goes straight (about half diamond above the pocket)

So you just aim the angle alpha to the right of the blue line if you need the corner ball to go the angle alpha to the left and into the corner pocket. (the angle is about 10° to pocket the corner ball)

View attachment 630466

this is what I did in the video above and it goes every time. You can try it yourself and see, that after about 12 minutes of practicing you make the ball 6 out of 7.

here ^^ the video once again.

if you have to cut the first ball with the alpha angle, then the throw effect is quite big and the 5 goes a little above the corner ball. But it's the same effect (cut induced throw) that you should know from banks and effect is the same every time for the same angle. So easy to adjust you aiming accordingly (aiming thinner and / or using english).
Great to know and I will try it. I just didn't want everyone to think Jayson had a dead ball every time he was wide on a break shot and made it every time as that certainly was not the case. His run before the 714 was 154 and had he knew how to play the corner ball he would have played it and made it and had a run of 868 instead of 714. I think how hard you hit the rack also could have affect on the accuracy. Thanks for spending the time to show me and everyone else. I'll make sure I show Jayson and all the players that will be playing soon in The Legends Of Pocket Billiards 14.1 Challenge.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is the opening break, which can be used on a perfect rack with quite a good percentage (I was about 75% after 40 tries). Here is a 10 min video...

(I did estimate a higher percentage for this ball on a perfect rack (more like 80-90%). I'd guess sometimes the magic rack (I used in the video) moves a little after a break. And I am not 10 out of 10 to pocket a spot ball so perhaps I sometimes just don't hit the ball, where I intend to. So I'd guess the lower percentage is mostly due to an imperfect rack but it's also possible I overestimated the possible percentage. But it's definitely better then one in three...)

Great video but why not pocket the corner ball if it is dead? I am impressed with all you have put in this thread so yes it is a serious question and I thank you for the thread.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When playing alone I use a triangle and when I don't have a shot my standard is the corner ball. It matters what angle you have with the cue ball.

kanzzo

hobby player
Great video but why not pocket the corner ball if it is dead? I am impressed with all you have put in this thread so yes it is a serious question and I thank you for the thread.
It's only dead with introduction of the perma rack. Introducing perma rack changes the game. It makes balls possible, which were not possible before.
It's open to discussion, but in my opinion it's against the idea / spirit of straight pool to call or to be able to call balls out of the rack. (And there seem to be quite a few straight pool players, who think in the same lines.)
"Yeah, he ran 800+ but he called balls from undisturbed rack. Run doesn't count in my book."

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It's only dead with introduction of the perma rack. Introducing perma rack changes the game. It makes balls possible, which were not possible before.
It's open to discussion, but in my opinion it's against the idea / spirit of straight pool to call or to be able to call balls out of the rack. (And there seem to be quite a few straight pool players, who think in the same lines.)
"Yeah, he ran 800+ but he called balls from undisturbed rack. Run doesn't count in my book."
I totally agree... My only caveat to that might be if the ball out of the rack was born of a carom off the break ball. That said, shooting the CB directly into the undistrubed rack to play a dead ball shouldn't be allowed.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Those two videos you made are scary! Shaw's record run included the corner ball shot. I think if you can make such a shot when using a traditional rack then good for you but these perfect racks change the game too much. The opening safety will be a thing of the past and the opening lag will play too great a role in who gets a huge leg up in the match.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those two videos you made are scary! Shaw's record run included the corner ball shot. I think if you can make such a shot when using a traditional rack then good for you but these perfect racks change the game too much. The opening safety will be a thing of the past and the opening lag will play too great a role in who gets a huge leg up in the match.
Not true. Jayson Shaws record did not have a corner ball shot out of it or any ball out of any rack. Only the break ball was shot in his run. He tried the corner ball shot 7 times during the 5 days of high run attempts and only made 1 out of 7.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not true. Jayson Shaws record did not have a corner ball shot out of it or any ball out of any rack. Only the break ball was shot in his run. He tried the corner ball shot 7 times during the 5 days of high run attempts and only made 1 out of 7.
What the heck was I watching? I saw him miss position on a break shot and ended up hitting the corner ball into the lower left pocket. I apologize if I got this mixed up with some other run.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
What the heck was I watching? I saw him miss position on a break shot and ended up hitting the corner ball into the lower left pocket. I apologize if I got this mixed up with some other run.
It's OK. I just wanted to be clear that he did make a corner ball in 1 of his runs but not the record run.