Personally most annoying thing in pool.

risky biz

Banned
There are a couple of people I play with at my local room and most of the time I decline if I'm by myself and someone I don't know asks if I want to play. Today I was practicing by myself, had already been doing that about 4 hours, and I made the dumb mistake of saying OK when some guy asked if I wanted to play some 8-ball.

This guy spends at least 20 minutes talking for every 5 minutes of pool playing even when I keep telling him it's his shot. He can't talk and shoot at the same time. When it's his shot that's his cue to walk up to the cueball and start talking. Jesus wept!

enzo

Banned
"i dont practice with other people, i either gamble, or practice solo"

ive used that about 100 times. 97% of the time the person goes away. 2% of the time you can beat a guy out of like 3 dollars. 1% of the time the guy wants to just keep talking anyway.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there, done that. After a few polite hints are thrown their way, and I stop talking, I usually just tell how I feel. If they don't like it, they can quit. I hate being rude, but sometimes people just don't get the hint and have to be hit over the head.:p

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best thing I've found to do is make a nodding motion at the table, breaking eye contact and start staring at the table, never to return eye contact.

They don't even know what just happened they just feel the hint and start shooting.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most annoying thing in pool...

Is when people that don't know you ask to hit balls with you for fun...

Second most annoying thing in pool is trying to practice by yourself and people constantly trying to talk to you and ask you questions when you are trying to get in quality time at the table. I've actually had people following me around the table...and I listen to ipod sometimes and people literally tap on shoulder to ask a question...I told them..." These ear buds are in for a reason "...it is like a "do not disturb" sign on a motel room door!!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
One of the more annoying things for me is when you are playing with a guy that doesn't just take his seat after he misses but instead wants to hover around the table. For playing one pocket this may be OK but otherwise it should be butt in the chair if you're not shooting.

Then of course, there is the upside down chalk thing.

StickmnBiliards

Stickman Billiards
Silver Member
One of the more annoying things for me is when you are playing with a guy that doesn't just take his seat after he misses but instead wants to hover around the table. For playing one pocket this may be OK but otherwise it should be butt in the chair if you're not shooting.

Then of course, there is the upside down chalk thing.

I agree. I dislike very much the guy who needs to chalk his cue while staring at the table after he misses. It seems to happen so frequently to me now that I usually just ask if they want to put a little on mine too.

RogerChambers

Straight Pool
Silver Member
Most Annoying Thing in Pool

Well, I am the type of person who rattles easily but I try not to let it show. There are a couple of things that bother me:

#1 Constantly waiting for someone to get to the table to shoot or having to go and get them to shoot. They would miss and then just "disappear," going to another table to bullshit with someone, playing the juke box, etc. This pisses me off! :angry:

#2 Cellphones:
We all know the type -- constantly on the cellphone or texting. :mad: One time, I told a younger player, "I see they rounded off the corners of the cellphones." He told me, "It comes out of the pocket easier." I told him, "Good, this way when I shove it up your ass, it won't hurt as much." :angry:

For lack of a better title, I am saying #3 is Disrespect toward other games of pool.
I am in my fifties and love to shoot Straight Pool. The problem is no one plays the game at my local poolhall. When I do get a chance to play it, I hate it when some other player will bad mouth the game, saying things like "Its too easy," or "It takes no skill." We took a road trip to Wheeling, WV to John Schmidt's poolhall and one of the smartass guys was with us. After watching John run 192 ball without a miss, I told the wise guy, "Go and tell him (John) it takes no skill." :eek:

Finally, #4 Coming up behind me when I am shooting.
Call me paranoid if you will but about 30 years ago, I was gambling for relatively high stakes ($100 sets with a backer) and took the guy for about $1600. I did not know the last two sets were for $400 each and after sinking the nine on the last game of the last set, a buddy of my opponent swung a pool cue at my head. Lucky for me, I was coming up from the shot and caught it on the shoulder. I went down, the place was in turmoil for a few moments but all settled down. Since then, I shall not play for more than $5 a set. lol. :D

Other than these, I am hard to rattle... yeah right!:cool:

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I listen to ipod sometimes and people literally tap on shoulder to ask a question...I told them..." These ear buds are in for a reason "...it is like a "do not disturb" sign on a motel room door!!

hehe... that annoys the crap out of me too! What I do when I got ear buds in and someone talks to me, I'll first point to them in my ear and shake my head like I can't hear. Then if they continue to talk to me, I make a big production out of pulling them out of my ears. I put on my most perturbed look with a big dose of WTF look. I answer their question in as few words as possible, then quickly put them back in before they can talk again.

I was at a grocery store one time, and the checkout woman kept on asking me questions, even after I told her I couldn't hear her, after she saw how irritated I was that she was asking the questions, and she was asking questions about nothing.:eek::confused:

I cannot grasp what goes on in some people's heads. So the puzzled look is real.:D

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy spends at least 20 minutes talking for every 5 minutes of pool playing even when I keep telling him it's his shot. He can't talk and shoot at the same time. When it's his shot that's his cue to walk up to the cueball and start talking. Jesus wept!

I have this problem in my own house! My girlfriend's son likes to shoot sorta ... he's maybe a C player at best when he's sober. Problem is, he usually comes up and asks me to play when he's been drinking ... and sometimes I don't realize how much he has had when he asks me. The 20 minutes talking for 5 minutes shooting ratio would be a FREAKING GIFT as far as I'm concerned when this kid has been drinking. To make matters worse, his C rating drops dramatically when he drinks, yet for some reason, he manages to miss his shot by a mile and leave me kicking at a freaking ball almost every time.

Oh, btw, he only likes to play 8 ball bar rules, so I can't get a ball in hand and I usually end up with 5 or 6 of his blockers in my way when I do get an actual chance. I like to look at it as a challenge and it is good practice but what makes me pull my hair out is when I kick at a ball after one of his unintentional safeties and just miss by a hair ... I know I have to wait for 40 minutes of his talking about all the latest TV shows, about the movie he saw via Netflix, about the Cold War, then about how the TV show MASH wasn't accurate in many ways, then he tells me that I should be more patient cause I've asked him to shoot 6 times, then he tells me about how patient Sun Tzu was in the Art of War ... ARGGG OMFG!!!!

I've gone so far as to go to the bathroom and page myself and tell him work called me ... then go out for a car ride for a while.

At least the people you are dealing with are relative strangers and you don't have to worry about pissing them off!

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hehe... that annoys the crap out of me too! What I do when I got ear buds in and someone talks to me, I'll first point to them in my ear and shake my head like I can't hear. Then if they continue to talk to me, I make a big production out of pulling them out of my ears. I put on my most perturbed look with a big dose of WTF look. I answer their question in as few words as possible, then quickly put them back in before they can talk again.

I was at a grocery store one time, and the checkout woman kept on asking me questions, even after I told her I couldn't hear her, after she saw how irritated I was that she was asking the questions, and she was asking questions about nothing.:eek::confused:

I cannot grasp what goes on in some people's heads. So the puzzled look is real.:D

I just have to share this story, because I always thought it was so funny in a non political sort of way. I had a friend of mine that would go to a pool hall in the middle of the day and get the $7 for all day up until 6pm deal or whatever it was... He would have ear buds in so you would think people wouldn't bug him and realize he was happy by himself. If a stranger came up to him looking to play while he was just trying to practice he would just make a few hand gestures at them in a confused manner. If they insisted, he would take the ear buds out and (sorry this isn't politically correct), reply in a very distorted voice, as if he was deaf ... "I don't talk to people, please leave me alone" ... and then put the ear buds back in.

I always laughed at him because A) Why the heck did he have ear buds in if he was supposedly deaf? What was he listening to? Hehe ... and B) 20 minutes later he would go up to the bar and ask in perfectly non distorted english "Can I have another Bud, please?".

Pangit

Banned
There are a couple of people I play with at my local room and most of the time I decline if I'm by myself and someone I don't know asks if I want to play. Today I was practicing by myself, had already been doing that about 4 hours, and I made the dumb mistake of saying OK when some guy asked if I wanted to play some 8-ball.

I agree completely. When you are practicing, you are "PRACTICING" you are trying to hone whatever "shortcoming" your game may have. Sometimes you don't want to compete. "Leave me alone" I'm trying to figure something out.

A few months ago some "tourist" came into my regular haunt. By "tourist" I mean the Sex Trade "tourist". Bar fines are currently about 25-30 bucks a night. Much more in Manila. It's still alive and flourishing in the Philippine Islands.

OBVIOUSLY I was practicing breaks, watched for 15 minutes, challenged me to a game, I respectfully declined. His reply was "what, we aren't allowed to play". Of course you can play, there are plenty of "open" tables to choose from.

85% of the time they insist on playing by "their" rules. What about house rules? 8 ball "behind the line BS". Drinking/smoking while at the table.

No serious pool player plays "behind the line" 8 ball, do they?

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I live in a community with a 4 table room in the clubhouse. The etiquette is a joke. Most want to talk or joke around.....and have no intention of improving after missing very easy shots and asking What am I doing wrong.
I know everyone so I do not feel uneasy telling them.... I want to play pool nothing else. And the best shooter in the house has the worst poolroom manners. Talks, advises, bad sport etc.
I was playing with a guy that gets a phone call.....sits down and has a conversation. Completes the call and gets another one. I unfolded my cue and put it in the case. I told him my shoulder hurts I'm done for now.
And they think I'm too serious:D:D

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate it when people chew with their mouths open.

Nothing pisses me off more hearing people smack and snack on things. The worst part of it- they don't even know what they're doing

On a side note, I cannot stand slow play. There's this older guy who always asks me for games and brings up the, "old times" often. He takes so long to shoot I can't even shoot by the time he's done. Ices me every time. What I do now is grab balls on another table and start practicing, not even watching him play. I notice that he misses more often and speeds up when I do this.

Guys that woof and don't mean it

Guys that woof and don't mean it. Like a few around here who say I'm afraid to play them, but have never asked to play. I'm easy, if the game is close to right, the answer is always yes.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Bangers playing beside me

What Gets me is when a banger picks a table to hit balls on, with 16 empty tables in a room to play on and plays right besides me, I get sick and tired off having to wait on them shoot a shot while I'm in a game , seems like they would know better, but I guess they just (the banger) wants to be noticed, well they are noticed, as an idiot!

David Harcrow

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
#1 Slow play. Drives me up a wall. Shut up and shoot. And leave the cell phone in the car.
#2 Players wandering around behind me. If you're my opponent, sit down when you're not shooting. If you're not involved in the game, show a little courtesy.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. why is it that when it is his shot, he gets a call call and continues talking!? :angry:
2. smoking is not allowed in our place, so when i am running a few balls and miss, i am looking around for the opponent wondering if he is in the head or outside taking a cig break, usually a smoke break! annoying! :angry:

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Easy solution to this is to just start shooting again.

When he says, "Hey I thought it was my shot" say back to him, "Yeah I thought about it, and decided to enforce the shot clock" He wont let that happen twice, and probably won't be upset if you play by these simple rules...

Make sure you do not run the entire game from there, or he will be upset. If you play a safe or just miss, he will smile.

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#2 Players wandering around behind me. If you're my opponent, sit down when you're not shooting. If you're not involved in the game, show a little courtesy.

Lol, have you seen people in the Philippines? They will have their hand on the rail right next to the person shooting, even in tournaments. Thought it was crazy the first time I saw it and wondered how people deal with that...but I notice it more and more now. Must be something they're accustomed to