Personally most annoying thing in pool.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand completely, and would have agreed with you completely 20 years ago.
One of the things I always wanted to do was to walk into a pool hall with a flame-covered, and apa patch adorned case over my shoulder.
I would then proceed to put on a glove and pull out a graphite pool cue -also with flames or skulls or whatever. This is going back long before carbon fiber.
There is no way the locals would have seen me as a player and I was convinced I would be seen as a mark and get action.
Today, gloves are all too common and worn by anyone from eggs to pros.
I will never wear a glove. To me, anyone who is not making a living from pool or being paid to wear one, looks stupid.
I realize that isn't the case but gloves will always look stupid to me.
I still think CF shafts look stupid -and I shoot with one.
Do you feel the same about players who use magnetic chalk holders / use their own chalk?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Do you feel the same about players who use magnetic chalk holders / use their own chalk?
I do not. I don't walk around telling people they look stupid.
It's my personal opinion. I'm sure there are things I do or wear that other people feel is stupid.
To answer your question, no, I do not think that about chalk holders. I did at one time however.
I do not like cubes of chalk lying on top of the rails of my table. I prefer that I and others bring their own chalk to the table
whether it be loose or in/on a holder of some sort. It also keeps Aholes from setting the chalk down incorrectly, saving the table from a blue, abrasive mess.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think this might be due to the push for pot to be organically grown these days. Fertilizer from chemicals can be nice neat and near odorless. Organic fertilizer comes from the aft end of a horse!

Hu
Cow pies are a popular fertilizer too, we let the farmer down the road use a couple acres we are not using to grow corn and alfalfa on and let me tell you, you can certainly tell when the fields have been fertilized.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, here's my take on this. I'm not anti-glove, and in fact I use one myself when playing in hot/humid conditions. However, when I see someone playing with a glove under normal dry conditions I do kind of smile to myself in the slightly smug and quite possibly erroneous assumption that they are to some degree a wannabe player. This is because when I first started seeing gloves appear in the pool rooms and leagues they were nearly always on lower skilled players that adopted every new gadget that came along, thinking each new gimmick was the answer to moving them from banger to world beater. The same guys that overestimated their own skill, didn't bother to practice between league nights or tournaments, and blamed their losses on bad rolls, sharking or their opponents' phenomenal luck.

Over the years gloves have become more widely accepted, and I realize that even accomplished amateurs and pros many times feel a benefit from them. I'll grant that now a glove is not the sign it once was of someone relying on a crutch to prop up their game, but I have to admit that when I see someone new to me using a glove it still makes me kind of want to take a peek in their bag to see what else might be lurking there. ;)

Explain to me the difference between wearing a glove for golf, which is completely accepted, and wearing a glove for pool, which for you seems to entail some sort of stereotype?
Gloves for golf vs pool --- You don't bleed if you don't wear a glove for pool.

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When people try to explain their entire set to you with a napkin, straw and some loose change on the bar. Lol. When anyone attempts to describe a pool game to me my mind immediately shuts down, eyes glaze over and head uncontrollably nods in agreement until they leave.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm not anti-glove, and in fact I use one myself when playing in hot/humid conditions. However, when I see someone playing with a glove under normal dry conditions I do kind of smile to myself in the slightly smug and quite possibly erroneous assumption that they are to some degree a wannabe player.
I don't "have" to wear a glove, but when my hands sweat (and they do, especially here in Texas most of the time between spring and winter), I feel I play better wearing one. I don't like the shaft sticking in my hand and bouncing like a car wheel going over a series of potholes. So then, why do I still wear one under normal, dry conditions???

Wait for it........

Consistency!

I like to get things happening in my game that I don't have to constantly think about (pre-shot routine as an example). Wearing the glove all the time doesn't make me have to think about the small adjustment on my various bridges that I might utilize on any given shot. That, and also the feel is consistently the same each and every time I wear the glove as opposed to sometimes wearing it and sometimes not.

Just my personal opinion. FTR...I don't give a fat rat's ass what anyone thinks about it. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. No worries!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cow pies are a popular fertilizer too, we let the farmer down the road use a couple acres we are not using to grow corn and alfalfa on and let me tell you, you can certainly tell when the fields have been fertilized.

I was working ten hours a day and had horses in two rented stalls aside from the ones at home. I am sure you know the amount of work required to keep a horse in a stall and in addition these were kept well conditioned. Work was an hour from the barn so I would put in my ten hours, dash to the barn, exercise the horses, then put them on the walker and clean the stalls. I kept fresh shavings in the stalls and cleaned daily so it wasn't a monster deal but it was still nine o'clock or later many nights by the time I got on a pool table.

I am sure your nose is used to a lot of smells other people's aren't and I have to admit I can't even remember when the smell of horse or cow shit bothered me. However, there were nights when people started complaining. I was the only one in the place wearing cowboy boots. Damn! I would try to discreetly ease out and clean them. Made a hell of a shark move sometimes though.

Yippie ki oh-ohhhh, cow patty!

Hu

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't "have" to wear a glove, but when my hands sweat (and they do, especially here in Texas most of the time between spring and winter), I feel I play better wearing one. I don't like the shaft sticking in my hand and bouncing like a car wheel going over a series of potholes. So then, why do I still wear one under normal, dry conditions???

Wait for it........

Consistency!
I get that. For me, though, I feel I play better without one so I only use it when conditions make it advantageous - pretty much like putting on a jacket when it gets cold. Put another way, I like to ride raw when I'm with my main squeeze, but I'll pull on some protection when I just met the lady.....

I totally agree with you on the "To each their own," thing.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most annoying thing in Pool? Players who've never taken a lesson or read a pool book and give lessons and destroy their "students".
Saw that before.
I had a self pro claimed "instructor" tell me that you can only change the path of the cue ball with English after it hits a rail.
I said what if you use outside or inside spin on an angle shot with draw wont that change the angle of the cue balls path?
Nope he said.
So i set up a 45 degree shot into the corner pocket and hit it with center,inside and outside spin and oh my the cue ball took three different paths,just walked away after that.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Saw that before.
I had a self pro claimed "instructor" tell me that you can only change the path of the cue ball with English after it hits a rail.
I said what if you use outside or inside spin on an angle shot with draw wont that change the angle of the cue balls path?
Nope he said.
So i set up a 45 degree shot into the corner pocket and hit it with center,inside and outside spin and oh my the cue ball took three different paths,just walked away after that.
Is it the actual spin that changes the tangent line or the differing amounts of cut that you can use with inside/outside spin?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I was working ten hours a day and had horses in two rented stalls aside from the ones at home. I am sure you know the amount of work required to keep a horse in a stall and in addition these were kept well conditioned. Work was an hour from the barn so I would put in my ten hours, dash to the barn, exercise the horses, then put them on the walker and clean the stalls. I kept fresh shavings in the stalls and cleaned daily so it wasn't a monster deal but it was still nine o'clock or later many nights by the time I got on a pool table.

I am sure your nose is used to a lot of smells other people's aren't and I have to admit I can't even remember when the smell of horse or cow shit bothered me. However, there were nights when people started complaining. I was the only one in the place wearing cowboy boots. Damn! I would try to discreetly ease out and clean them. Made a hell of a shark move sometimes though.

Yippie ki oh-ohhhh, cow patty!

Hu
Taking care of horses sure seems like a lot of work to me, I gotta give you your due respect on that. Its kinda like my farm neighbors out in the fields in their tractors at 1:00 AM, when the work needs to get done there is no taking it easy, they bust ass until they are finished, the clock means little. The farm odors rarely bother me anymore, some people that visit might complain and we don't even notice. We do have a place right in the middle of our town and the next nearest that I believe has one of those manure digesters, that place has a unique and terrible odor to it. I'm glad that we cant smell it from home, I dont see how the people who live and work on that farm can tolerate it, I guess its an acquired taste/smell?:sick::LOL:

Rack’em

The most annoying thing to me is playing people who have to go through a full ritual for every single shot they shoot. I'm talking about staring at their next shot with their cue raised in the air while doing several air-strokes on the shaft, then methodically bending down and adjusting their body back and forth, and then finally stroking 20 times before shooting. So annoying.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another annoying thing for me is people complaining about paying for a stream (which gives them dozens of hours of pool) put pay the same or more for a UFC pay per view, which is less then 1 hour of actual fighting.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Saw that before.
Nope he said.
Well, he knew you had a magnet inside the cue ball and cheated. :)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a couple of people I play with at my local room and most of the time I decline if I'm by myself and someone I don't know asks if I want to play. Today I was practicing by myself, had already been doing that about 4 hours, and I made the dumb mistake of saying OK when some guy asked if I wanted to play some 8-ball.

This guy spends at least 20 minutes talking for every 5 minutes of pool playing even when I keep telling him it's his shot. He can't talk and shoot at the same time. When it's his shot that's his cue to walk up to the cueball and start talking. Jesus wept!
How about the guy that sticks his hand in the pocket when he thinks his cue ball is headed for a scratch, then pulls his hand out at the last possible second and you never really know for sure if his hand kept the ball from dropping - totally bush league move that no TD would stand for.

Or how about the opponent that never sits down while you’re shooting, working his way all around the table while you are running out, occasionally grabbing the chalk from the table to chalk his cue, waiting for you to miss and for his next turn at the table, which hopefully he will never get!

Last edited: