philadelphiaweekly.com cover story about Danny Basavich

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the cover of Philadelphia Weekly, a large print weekly newspaper circulated throughout the city;

img_15713_cover.jpg

Here is the link to the on line featured version, Right on Cue, by G.W. Miller III
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=15713

Last edited:

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice

Thanks for the link. I just got done reading his biography 'Running the Table'.. in 1 day! I was so glued to it I just couldn't put it down. Great pool book and it really gives you a lot of insight to the genius behind Kid D. We, as pool players, can kind of appreciate the sacrifices the top players made/make to get to the level they're at. It's easy to say I wish I had the time to practice 15 hours a day. Truth is, you do.. you just have to give up everything and be willing to eat a LOT of Top Ramen. And live on a cot in a basement.

I was fortunate enough to be in the room next to his in Reno and we hung out quite a bit. OK, by 'we' I mean me and about 32623462363 other people enjoying Kid D's infectious laughter.

Last edited:

Handsumm

Banned
Nice story, thanks. I doubt he is worried about getting beat for $50,000. Sounds like a challenge to me.

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Thanks

I too just finished his book and also wanted to say thanks for the link.

I was watching a youtube video of Danny playing Charlie Bryant with Buddy Hall commentating. At one point Buddy says that Danny's father gave him the nickname Kid Delicious, but in the book and in this article it says otherwise.

Wonder which one is accurate?

Jeffery

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard from several different sources that book version of how he got his nickname is more to the truth. Someone yelled it out and he stuck with it. Kid Nutritious is another I heard floating around when he was a little thinner.

Schmohawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cyrex said:
I've heard from several different sources that book version of how he got his nickname is more to the truth. Someone yelled it out and he stuck with it. Kid Nutritious is another I heard floating around when he was a little thinner.

Yes and I just was informed that it was Gypsy who gave it to him that night at Chelsea. Somebody ask him.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
s'portplayer said:
I too just finished his book and also wanted to say thanks for the link.

I was watching a youtube video of Danny playing Charlie Bryant with Buddy Hall commentating. At one point Buddy says that Danny's father gave him the nickname Kid Delicious, but in the book and in this article it says otherwise.

Wonder which one is accurate?

Jeffery

He got the nickname in the pool room when he was younger. I can't find the link, but I remember reading about it. Something came up about Kid Vicious in the pool room, and then somebody dubbed him as the Kid Delicious. :p

There's a media blitz right now about Danny's book everywhere. With it being newly released, I'll bet there will be an article in quite a few non-pool-related media around the country, which is good thing. If Danny is fortunate enough to have an agent as aggressive as Jeanette Lee's, he just might make something happen for the good.

It would be nice to see the book put a little jingle in Danny's pocket, as well as boost pool into mainstream America. Ya' just never know what might happen! :p

JAM

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my first cue from there, an Earl Strickland burgundy graphite cue. Boy, I wish I had known better.

I heard some stories, but I don't want to gossip about what happed to the place and owner.

On a positive note, I heard some great stories about the room owners son.

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Thanks JAM and CYREX. I was leaning more towards the book version myself.

OH and I would recommend this book, it's a good read.

Let's hope that he gets a great agent and gets on tv as much as possible.

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Gary Abood

It was also cool to see that Shreveport, La and Gary Abood were mentioned in the book as well.

I live in Shreveport and never would have thought that Danny came through here, but low and behold he did when he drove Gary Abood into town.

Small world HUH?

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Wait a sec, did the previous owner have a young son (about 8 or so) that used to shoot in the 14-and Under at SBE? Dad was kind of a jerk (for lack of a better word)?

Barbara

Gregg said:
I bought my first cue from there, an Earl Strickland burgundy graphite cue. Boy, I wish I had known better.

I heard some stories, but I don't want to gossip about what happed to the place and owner.

On a positive note, I heard some great stories about the room owners son.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Excellent article! Great exposure for not only Danny, but for pool as well.

He really has the "image" to get huge PR exposure. He really reminds people of a recent Minnesota Fats - he works the crowd well, has tremendous charisma, and LOOKS like a hustler. He can make $ with "Kid Delicious" branding, not unlike Jeanette did with "Black Widow."

I hope he gets everything he deserves - glad to see he's making an effort to make $$ outside of pool, using pool as a tool.

I hope his new movie is a blockbuster. The pool world needs another "Color of Money" to get things clicking again.

Congrats Danny!

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara said:
Wait a sec, did the previous owner have a young son (about 8 or so) that used to shoot in the 14-and Under at SBE? Dad was kind of a jerk (for lack of a better word)?

Barbara

Sounds about right.

I remember reading an article about his son, also with pics, playing a great game at a very young age, he was maybe eight or nine or so.

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a quote from the article...........

He did whatever he had to do to get an edge on whomever he was hustling, but over those seven years, only one guy wanted to kick his oversized, affable ass?a Louisiana hustler who likes to drink Jack Daniels and wrestle alligators.

Does anyone have any details on how Danny and Scotty played?
For that matter does anyone have any details period?

I know Danny sure is glad that he was able to use the word "WANTED" in this quote. Because as most of us know, Scotty can dab it MANO 2 MANO.

Nice article, Thanks for sharing!

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Book

The match between Danny and Scotty is in the book.

Danny took Scotty for a few thousand then Scotty won some of it back. Danny then got sick/had to leave or something to that effect and Scotty got pissed when Danny was leaving winners.

Danny convinced him that they would match up again.

That's as best a summary as I can do without going back and reading that part again.

Hope it helps.

Jeffery

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Funny.

Good article.

I was there that night at the Boulevard when they came in. It was on a Thursday as they had their weekly tournament that night which i used to go to every week.

I will say that the some of the story is a little "inflated", but it still happened.

Just when they thought they could leave after winning a game, Danny would get roped into another game and the bet got pressed. Funny how they didn't want him to leave.

I remember when he started playing Spanish Mike, and how when it was 1-1 with Mike running out, Mike dogged a easy 7 ball. It totally surprised everyone, ESPECIALLY Danny and we all knew at that instant that Danny had it locked up.

Briston Bob was one table over playing the local guy Keith all night.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
LOL

I know who the chopsticks guy is too, but i won't say his name.

Last time i saw him, he was still beating people with that gimmick game.

I wouldn't want to knock his action.