Philippine pool scene.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Just some pics I found on the net depicting some of the typical pool scenes in the Philippines.

Outdoor-Pool-Table.jpg by craygc, on Flickr
Not the best conditions but look at this guy shoot. He has good form.
The building on the back has Mercedes logos... :scratchhead:

in_good_company.jpg

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Philippines/Ilocos/Ilocos_Sur/Vigan/photo1057716.htm
Rotation. Spot the ball and shoot from the Kitchen. Kid by the pocket scratched on the game ball. Boy, do I know how he feels. :speechless:

9.jpg

http://tabacocityphotographs.wordpress.com/
Guys just hanging out. Maybe all day... or even everyday.

Billiard by go2net, on Flickr
I can tell the tables are level just looking from here. lol.

8_Ball.jpg

http://journals.worldnomads.com/cam...ather-around-a-pool-table-at-the-local-billia
Never seen that many people over a table here in the US. Ever.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I love scenes like this. This is what the essence of pool is all about. Now you know why Filipinos can just step up and play on any equipment anywhere.

I love finding the gritty places and playing all comers.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Awesome case you got there, John. If I was'nt moving into a new house I would've commisioned you into doing a case with a Philippine outdoor billiards scene like one of these pics in this thread. Someday, perhaps.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Awesome case you got there, John. If I was'nt moving into a new house I would've commisioned you into doing a case with a Philippine outdoor billiards scene like one of these pics in this thread. Someday, perhaps.

What a FANTASTIC idea.

wow. I might just have to have him make me one like that one day...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've probably played in dozens of places like that and maybe even in one of those shown here. I just can't pass them up, sometimes jumping off the jeepney to run in and look for a game. And you always get a game! I may be the only American who goes in these places and gambles with the locals. I like the challenge of playing on the old beat up equipment and figuring out how to make balls and bank shots. It's still pool you know!

We ALWAYS play Rotation (a great game) and I've bet anywhere from 50p (a little over a dollar) to 1,000p a game (about $25). And yes, they crowd around the table to watch you shoot, talking all the time, even when you're shooting. If you get sharked easily then forget about playing in a spot like this. I've had more fun in these places then anywhere I've played in the last 25 years. Reminds me of my youth playing in the little pool halls around Dayton. Doesn't seem that long ago when I used to run around Southwestern Ohio looking for a game. I wish I could do it all over again. :wink:

Last edited:

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
I've probably played in dozens of places like that and maybe even in one of those shown here. I just can't pass them up, sometimes jumping off the jeepney to run in and look for a game. And you always get a game! I may be the only American who goes in these places and gambles with the locals. I like the challenge of playing on the old beat up equipment and figuring out how to make balls and bank shots. It's still pool you know!

We ALWAYS play Rotation (a great game) and I've bet anywhere from 50p (a little over a dollar) to 1,000p a game (about $25). And yes, they crowd around the table to watch you shoot, talking all the time, even when you're shooting. If you get sharked easily then forget about playing in a spot like this. I've had more fun in these places then anywhere I've played in the last 25 years. Reminds me of my youth playing in the little pool halls around Dayton. Doesn't seem that long ago when I used to run around Southwestern Ohio looking for a game. I wish I could do it all over again. :wink:

Well Jay you may be the only American in Manila now to go to those places but you are not the only American in the Philippines to do so! Mindanao has plenty of those and I play in them all the time.

--Jeff

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well Jay you may be the only American in Manila now to go to those places but you are not the only American in the Philippines to do so! Mindanao has plenty of those and I play in them all the time.

--Jeff

I couldn't find much in Gensan, just a couple of bars. And in Davao I went to the action spot in the big mall there. I was with my GF so i didn't really look around that much. What part of Mindanao are you in?

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I've gone in those kinda places too, both bars and little poolrooms. I usually lose so I only bet 50p. When you do you're still action to them. I don't play 15 ball rotation, only 10 Ball or 8 Ball.

One Sunday I went to the cockfights in Quezon City with a taxi driver as my guide. I was betting 100p per fight, just picking the cock whose color I liked :). After 6 or 7 fights I looked around and I realized that I WAS ACTION lol. After about 10 fights my driver said out of the blue, "It's dangerous now ! We go NOW. " We left but I never did find out why it was dangerous. I do love it there too...Tom

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are some crazy pictures. No wonder why Efren, Jose, Alex, and the rest of the Pinoys are so darn good.

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
I couldn't find much in Gensan, just a couple of bars. And in Davao I went to the action spot in the big mall there. I was with my GF so i didn't really look around that much. What part of Mindanao are you in?

Sorry, I responded last night (my time) and it somehow didn't get posted!???

Anyway, I live in Davao City for 2 years and before that, Makati for one year. I used to play every day at Puyat Superbowl at Makati Cinema Square for a year. That was great.

My friend Art told me that you and he played at PODs in Gaissano Mall when you were here.

In September I was invited by Django and YangYang (Gandy Valle) to take a trip with them to Digos City where Django had a big money game with Cocoy Villafuerte. I videoed it all and also did an interview tih Cocoy. It was really great.
On the first day (just practice), we were invited by the owner and backer of Cocoy to go to the Digos City Cock Fighting Arena in the evening. That was my first time to watch them live.

About 300 spectators watched the Django and Cocoy match the next day. More gambing on every rack then I have ever seen - EVER!!

--Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 620

blackpearlmaker

Caliper User......
Silver Member
Great pictures with pinoy billiard scenes, i can say that, on that environment the world champions are born. Thanks for sharing Kabayan. Mabuhay!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I responded last night (my time) and it somehow didn't get posted!???

Anyway, I live in Davao City for 2 years and before that, Makati for one year. I used to play every day at Puyat Superbowl at Makati Cinema Square for a year. That was great.

My friend Art told me that you and he played at PODs in Gaissano Mall when you were here.

In September I was invited by Django and YangYang (Gandy Valle) to take a trip with them to Digos City where Django had a big money game with Cocoy Villafuerte. I videoed it all and also did an interview tih Cocoy. It was really great.
On the first day (just practice), we were invited by the owner and backer of Cocoy to go to the Digos City Cock Fighting Arena in the evening. That was my first time to watch them live.

About 300 spectators watched the Django and Cocoy match the next day. More gambing on every rack then I have ever seen - EVER!!

--Jeff

Cocoy is the guy I've been hearing the most about lately. He's been beating everyone (Efren and Alex among others)! How did Django come out in that match?

Last edited:

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Here is a place in Downtown Davao City. It doesn't really have a name!

--Jeff

Attachments

• NoNamePoolHall.jpg
    NoNamePoolHall.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 685

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Cocoy is the guy I've been hearing the most about lately. He's been beating everyone (Efren and Alex among others)! How did Django come out in that match?

Django won. Race to 25 - 10 Ball. 25-15. Cocoy wasn't on his game that night but Django really was playing great. They played for 510k pesos. That is about $21k US. Big money anywhere!!!! The crowd was so electric! It was an amazing experience.

Cocoy won the Philippine Open Amature Division a couple years back. He beat Efren in rotation and Ronnie Alcano in rotation. Cocoy has a good personality but Django had him off his game for some reason!!

Alex came to Digos City and they played two sets. First day Alex won and the next day Cocoy won. Alex came out ahead on the money though because they dropped the bet on the second day. Cocoy is about 24 years old but he needs to get on the international scene to get more experience.

I swear, if you tapped into all the unknown talent in the Philippines and brought them to the US, Shane might not win every tournament! Ha!

--Jeff

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Django won. Race to 25 - 10 Ball. 25-15. Cocoy wasn't on his game that night but Django really was playing great. They played for 510k pesos. That is about $21k US. Big money anywhere!!!! The crowd was so electric! It was an amazing experience.

Cocoy won the Philippine Open Amature Division a couple years back. He beat Efren in rotation and Ronnie Alcano in rotation. Cocoy has a good personality but Django had him off his game for some reason!!

Alex came to Digos City and they played two sets. First day Alex won and the next day Cocoy won. Alex came out ahead on the money though because they dropped the bet on the second day. Cocoy is about 24 years old but he needs to get on the international scene to get more experience.

I swear, if you tapped into all the unknown talent in the Philippines and brought them to the US, Shane might not win every tournament! Ha!

--Jeff

Thanks! Django exudes confidence. When he hears about some good player, he still wants to go looking for him. Francisco is not one to rest on his laurels. I've never seen him duck anybody. How many players can you say that about? Shane has a losing record with him you know. I really respect Francisco. He never backs down and always plays good for the cash. If you bet on him every time, you would be a rich man today!

I was there in Davao when JekJek beat Gandy Valle. He was very good but not in Django's league imo.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played in lots of spots in Mexico that were almost as beat up, 400 degrees and brutal equipment, it is my opinion if you can adapt to playing is those kinds of conditions you "should" play much better when you play in A/C rooms with nice equipment. i love those spots, i'd be like Jay and play who ever wants to play. i'm ready!!! I did play this last summer in a pool room in a basement in Munich that was 90 ish a few days in there, i got used to it, used 3456 pounds of powder to keep my hands dry but whats new....:)

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
help me understand your logic

--Jeff

Let see if I'm tracking . . . you mean the same Shane who has been to the Philippines over the last few years taking all comers from the top tier? and doing pretty dam well? You're saying the "unknown talent" is actually better than the big dogs on the top of the totem poll over there? So they don't come out to play in Manila or States to make good money because they have some secret plan for later?

The same Shane who is at the top of this list?

2012 U.S. Open
1st: Shane Van Boening - $25,000
2nd: Dennis Orcullo - $15,000
3rd: Alex Pagulayan - $10,000
4th: Efren Reyes - $6,000
5th/6th: Ronnie Alcano, Jose Parica - $4,000

Hey look at that, 2nd-6th all top tier Filipinos!

Of course there a ton of unknown monster players in the P.I. but it doesn't mean that if they all came to the States then Shane should quit pool and become a chef.

kano

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Let see if I'm tracking . . . you mean the same Shane who has been to the Philippines over the last few years taking all comers from the top tier? and doing pretty dam well? You're saying the "unknown talent" is actually better than the big dogs on the top of the totem poll over there? So they don't come out to play in Manila or States to make good money because they have some secret plan for later?

The same Shane who is at the top of this list?

2012 U.S. Open
1st: Shane Van Boening - $25,000
2nd: Dennis Orcullo - $15,000
3rd: Alex Pagulayan - $10,000
4th: Efren Reyes - $6,000
5th/6th: Ronnie Alcano, Jose Parica - $4,000

Hey look at that, 2nd-6th all top tier Filipinos!

Of course there a ton of unknown monster players in the P.I. but it doesn't mean that if they all came to the States then Shane should quit pool and become a chef.

kano

Wow you took a lot more out of what I really said. Relax Kano!!

I simply said he might not win every tournament -HELLO!!!! It was a compliment to Shane!

--Jeff