Picture Request of Black Delrin butt cap

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Can anyone post or email me a picture or two of a cue with a Black Delrin butt cap. The more versions I see the better off I'll be.

Thanks

Kevin
 
Here are a couple of Schons
sp4.jpg

schon15-2.jpg

Chuck
 
chuckpilegis said:
newoutside003.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg


Some of these must be delrin

In the second photo, the cue 2nd from the right might be delrin. None of the other cue look to have it. Most of the black looks like phenolic.
 
My favorite with black delrin was in an article about Szamboti cues in the October '03 Inside pool mag. It was an amboyna cue and it was amazing. I haven't seen a pic anywhere else. The article said it was Barry's personal player.
 
CrownCityCorey said:
In the second photo, the cue 2nd from the right might be delrin. None of the other cue look to have it. Most of the black looks like phenolic.


looks like it. black delrin has a matted look cuz delrin is this weird oily-ish translucent material. it does not glue or take varnish well at all, so usually no one bothers to spray a finish,,,,it'll chip off.

the top two photos are impossible to tell because you can't see if it's matted nor compare it to the ebony in the butt.
 
Last edited:
bruin70 said:
looks like it. black delrin has a matted look cuz delrin is this weird oily-ish translucent material. it does not glue or take varnish well at all, so usually no one bothers to spray a finish,,,,it'll chip off.

the top two photos are impossible to tell because you can't see if it's matted nor compare it to the ebony in the butt.

With the rubber bumpers, why do buttcaps need to be made out of plastic anyway? My cue has an ivory buttcap and it's fine. I would just dump the plastic cap idea and have it made out of ivory or buckhorn, or a good lookin' wood like spalted maple, stabilized buckeye burl or amboyna, or Gabon ebony. I do like the short cap idea because they can be replaced without replacing the whole sleeve.

Chris
 
Last edited:
TATE said:
With the rubber bumpers, why do buttcaps need to be made out of plastic anyway? My cue has an ivory buttcap and it's fine. I would just dump the plastic cap idea and have it made out of ivory or buckhorn, or a good lookin' wood like spalted maple, stabilized buckeye burl or amboyna, or Gabon ebony. I do like the short cap idea because they can be replaced without replacing the whole sleeve.

Chris

Chris
You take good care of your cues, some don't. But there is always "accidents". Was talking to a customer today who has a sneaky pete (not mine) with a plastic butt cap. He is also very careful with his cues (ultra careful), but for some reason the butt got banged on the table and it broke. Upset him terribly since he was just about to begin tournament play. He is either going to glue it himself or ? That is why I usually put on delrin butt caps - it is much more durable than any of the other materials including ivory, buckhorn, or wood. I really don't want to make money repairing broken butt caps or replacing some good wood.
 
Back
Top