Planning out the future of pool

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This is about creating the next SVB or Effren Reyes.
No real need. In every generation, somebody's gonna be the best, and by default they will be the SVB.

If you were desperate for that player to come from a particular country, then you benefit from promoting talent. But the best result for the sport is an international mix of top players, which is what we have anyway.

(If you happen to know a talented player with serious potential, and want to help them, that's different, of course...)

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I think the idea of having quizes, or aptitiude tests, that develop into an assessment (or conversation about) the participant's own abilities is a great idea. A modification I would suggest is that when something is pitched as a quiz, when the focus suddenly changes to the player's own abilities, maybe the transition isn't very smooth, like "this isn't what I was expecting".
Perhaps pitching it as a 'question' (more generically) would avoid setting expectations that you have to subsequently break.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I think the idea of having quizes, or aptitiude tests, that develop into an assessment (or conversation about) the participant's own abilities is a great idea. A modification I would suggest is that when something is pitched as a quiz, when the focus suddenly changes to the player's own abilities, maybe the transition isn't very smooth, like "this isn't what I was expecting".
Perhaps pitching it as a 'question' (more generically) would avoid setting expectations that you have to subsequently break.

I can riff off that idea. I agree with what you say and want to develop it more.

In other sports personalities and preferences become clear after a few experiences.
Someone tries football they dont like getting hit, they switch to defense.
Someone tries baseball they can't hit but they can throw.

In pool, most players don't even have the vocabulary to describe what they are doing on the table.

Other sports romanticize foul shots, teeing off, or a great throw.

In pool understanding the intricacies of pool takes educating. And DrDave tries and has a following but, if it stopped growing that means max capacity has been reached. Or try something new because that cow is milked.

Promoting pool as try 14.1 or try 9 ball or try being a defensive player or offensive player.

The idea is connecting their potential or preferences to a playing style or game that suits their current skills.

Its self assessment and guided instruction.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am developing a magic trick routine for a show.

If I layer adhesives with magnets near the cue tip, that is the only place to hide stuff on a pool cue.

I think it will make for some interesting effects.

Imagine a pool show where the cue ball is magnetized just like the cue stick but no one knows.

It'd be more fun than fake videos that take forever to make and can't be done in a live performance.
It would be far easier to give up.

justnum

Silver Member
It would be far easier to give up.

Mike Massey might be the last of the great trickshot artists.

I like trickshots and want to make original ones that can be performed live.

That is not possible, however I do predict a very slow progress.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Then do us all a favor.: Buy a book of trick shots and steal a couple from there.

And leave us out of it.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am developing a magic trick routine for a show.

If I layer adhesives with magnets near the cue tip, that is the only place to hide stuff on a pool cue.

I think it will make for some interesting effects.

Imagine a pool show where the cue ball is magnetized just like the cue stick but no one knows.

It'd be more fun than fake videos that take forever to make and can't be done in a live performance.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Numbnuts who started thread is a Cancer Survivor, he need to enjoy life, not look for problems, unless he has the tools or ideas to fix.

If indeed he is a Testicular Cancer Survivor, he need to get a life, before his is snuff out if the cancer returns. Likelihood very great. As if he is as young as avatar photo, I suggest you live each day like it was your last.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I find the construction leaves something to be desired. How can we safely do what we want to do if we have this in the back of our minds?

justnum

Silver Member
hang on pool, justins a comin to save ya!

Its the "if no one is doing it right , then do it yourself" approach.

Is that a popular work ethic in America? It might be the only sport someone like DrDave could become popular. My first thought when I saw his youtube statistics was did his academic buddies create thousands of fake accounts using computer skills to boost his ratings.

Never before has media connected people the way it does today.
People can enjoy whatever they do for their income.
When it comes to enjoy pool as a hobby, sport or culture, there is more room for enjoyment than other sports.

As adults do you really want to stand in a crowded stadium watching other people play sports?

Or would you rather enjoy the game, have drinks and snacks, have pool neighbors and be interactive?
The pool room has a crowd to surf, but it isn't that deep.

Who hasn't tried to visit a pool room and shark and fight off the sharks?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
billy madison idiot GIF

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I tried to give a sincere reply and you come back with this nonsense. Carry on, fool.

I'm gonna hit the room for a couple of hours before they open and let people like you in.
Z-Nole...Eric would NEVER let Justnum in the door! LOL Still hoping to meet up with you there one of these mornings!

Scott Lee

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Stop dropping Dr. Dave's name. I can’t imagine he wants any association with you and we all see it as just another of your mind games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: