Player of the decade Earl or Sigel?

Earl or Sigel

• Total voters

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He just txt me a Joe Rogan video talking about Tom cruise as I was typing the post above.

Who can I txt it to to post here? I don’t know how. PM me a number and I’ll forward the video

Attachments

• 9E483911-D7C6-4496-AC68-F5C80B4413A3.jpeg
    9E483911-D7C6-4496-AC68-F5C80B4413A3.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 86

WobblyStroke

what's your point? both were getting staked and sigel's stakehorse probably didn't want to blow it all back. happens all the time.
quitting winners is pretty uncommon. My point was to bring some clarity to who took money off whom and how, that's all. Usually tho, the guy doing the ducking is the one who recognizes he's on the sucker's side of a bet if they keep playing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I voted for Sigel, but this is really close. Sigel was the better all-around player, but I focused on nine-ball.

In nine ball, Earl's "A" game was stronger than Sigel's "A" game, but Sigel was a little more consistent. Also, just ask Efren whether there was ever a better closer of matches than Sigel. Earl, on the other hand, had a way of often beating the greatest of champions 11-2. At times, he demoralized some of the game's greatest cueists.

Another difference between Mike and Earl is that Earl rarely won from the "B" side, while Mike would often grind it out on the "B" side.

Based on their play in the 1980s, choosing between the two at nine ball is no easy task.

PS My opinion is that Sigel retired after the 1992 season at the age of 39.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
FWIW..

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Michael Sigel (born July 11, 1953) is an American professional pool player[1][2] nicknamed "Captain Hook."

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike could dab it playing 1p too. Heard of him torturing Cornbread in Detroit when he was pretty young.
He told me that story and I forgot the wind up on it. I’ll ask Mike next time we talk. One thing I really like about Mike is he keeps it real, he told me about the losses too, he doesn’t revise the past. I’ll ask him-terrible I can’t remember. I know it was at the Rack and he was young, I remember that.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yeah, Mike sure could play one pocket too. I saw him in a few exhibition matches in the Baltimore area in the early 80s. Not only 14.1, and 9 ball, but one pocket as well. I thought of him as the Luther Lassiter of his era.
That was probably when he was living in Towson, Maryland, which isn't too far from Baltimore.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted for Sigel, but this is really close. Sigel was the better all-around player, but I focused on nine-ball.

In nine ball, Earl's "A" game was stronger than Sigel's "A" game, but Sigel was a little more consistent. Also, just ask Efren whether there was ever a better closer of matches than Sigel. Earl, on the other hand, had a way of often beating the greatest of champions 11-2. At times, he demoralized some of the game's greatest cueists.

Another difference between Mike and Earl is that Earl rarely won from the "B" side, while Mike would often grind it out on the "B" side.

Based on their play in the 1980s, choosing between the two at nine ball is no easy task.

PS My opinion is that Sigel retired after the 1992 season at the age of 39.
I agree Stu, Mike says 39-in his mind he was “done”. And yes he played a few more times and IPT but without going into his personal biz (I will never put his private biz on here or anywhere) he’s told me many many times at 39 he was “all done” with being a pro-his reasons were sound and valid. So that’s the official retirement age.

He played all around a hair better than Earl, however Earls high gear 9B was next level. Which is widely accepted and known by players and fans alike.

The duration of Earls career is amazing.

Down the home stretch nobody could close like Mike. That’s something he could do better than anyone.

Efren could find shots where others couldn’t.

Johnny is Johnny

SVB has the 10B break

They are all in the conversation for something. But to address the OP. Mike has the win by a nose hair. Maybe.

Best
Fatboy 😃

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That was probably when he was living in Towson, Maryland, which isn't too far from Baltimore.
Yep, Towson was his home at that time. His home pool room was Johnny C's, though now and then he'd stop in Bennie's Billiards, also known as Gentlemens cue, in Reisterstown. He'd stop in, run about 250 or so, and head out. Though there were some times, he would just hit some bank shots, if he was warming up for an exhibition there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He told me that story and I forgot the wind up on it. I’ll ask Mike next time we talk. One thing I really like about Mike is he keeps it real, he told me about the losses too, he doesn’t revise the past. I’ll ask him-terrible I can’t remember. I know it was at the Rack and he was young, I remember that.
I think it was really early on when Hubbart was taking him around.