Players with earbuds or earplugs?

TxBullDog

Registered
I been playing in regional, state tournaments and opens recently and noticed more and more players using earbuds for sounds or earplugs for silence while they play... Curious if you use them and what your listening too? I assume your favorite music but one guy said he listening to mediation and hypnosis performance sounds... Just seems strange but wanted to see what anybody else thinks about it. What links are you all doing to try and get an edge?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use 'em. I started at least in part for hearing protection. Bars can get lethal loud. I continue to use 'em as a pool sanctuary.

TxBullDog

Registered
I find it rude.

There are times that you need to communicate with your opponent. Calling a ball. Letting them know that they are on two fouls, whatever...

Pay attention to the game. Show little respect. It’s not all that hard…
I will say I was a little annoyed every time I wanted to tell them I was pushing out after the break or other situations. I am thinking is it my responsibility to make sure they hear me or understand if they can’t hear? Curious what a ref would say

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I find it rude.

There are times that you need to communicate with your opponent. Calling a ball. Letting them know that they are on two fouls, whatever...

Pay attention to the game. Show little respect. It’s not all that hard…
Ditto.

Don't forget calling a pushout or listening to opponent's call of a pushout. Don't overlook asking an opponent to wait while you call a referee to observe a shot. If one can't focus on the game without wearing earplugs/earbuds, they lack the focus needed at the highest level of the game. That said, I have no problem with a pro wearing earplugs/earbuds while practicing alone or warming up for a match, but competitive conditions entail noise, background movement, unexpected announcements, and other possible distractions. If one hasn't learned to deal with these inevitable distractions, it is even more important for them to practice without earplugs/earbuds.

Finally, in a streamed match, a player should never wear earphones/earbuds. It looks ridiculous to the online viewer.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear a Sony music player set of earbuds when I play. They aren’t always on, but when they are I keep them a low level allowing me to hear what is going on around me.

The only time I turned them up to drown things out was when the bartender at Brian’s was playing gangster rap as loud as he could.

When I am playing, or my opponent, I keep an eye, and ear, on the table at all times.

I am not one of the people who are always on their phone or not paying attention to what is going on.

I hate playing people like that and usually will say something to them about it.

Last edited:

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I recently started wearing them because I prefer some 90s grunge to any other music. Look Im almost 51 now and you dont get Mad Season, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Mother Love Bone, etc on the Jukebox with a room full of 20 somethings.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What?
I can't hear you.
I have earbuds in.

Seems they came on to the scene rather quickly.
Pool players!
One guy wore them and thought they're cool so it caught on.
This too shall pass.
Just bought a $900 shaft.
Don't know what it's made of but at that price it's bound to improve my game.
Or is it the chalk?

Earbuds?
This too shall pass.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like wearing headphones while playing. I have lots of friends that do as well. If you pay attention after the break for a push that’s the biggest issue playing 9 ball. With 10 ball, you do have to pay a bit more attention but playing with people you trust makes it easier to relax.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto.

Don't forget calling a pushout or listening to opponent's call of a pushout. Don't overlook asking an opponent to wait while you call a referee to observe a shot. If one can't focus on the game without wearing earplugs/earbuds, they lack the focus needed at the highest level of the game. That said, I have no problem with a pro wearing earplugs/earbuds while practicing alone or warming up for a match, but competitive conditions entail noise, background movement, unexpected announcements, and other possible distractions. If one hasn't learned to deal with these inevitable distractions, it is even more important for them to practice without earplugs/earbuds.

Finally, in a streamed match, a player should never wear earphones/earbuds. It looks ridiculous to the online viewer.

Streamed matches should also have a dress code. I don’t care if it’s in a basement or at a pool hall.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's against most league rules, and probably most tournament rules, if they have written-out rules. For example, BCA/CSI league rules:

1-3 Use of Equipment
---
2. You may not wear any electronic headgear, use any electronic device, or voluntarily impede your hearing during a match.
It actually says later that you can't use your phone during a match, which is kind of laughable today. What are people going to do while they're waiting (I plead guilty to this)?

If you're playing someone listening to music, you should be able to claim pushout whenever you miss that shot, or claim that you called that fluke shot in a call-shot game - "what you didn't hear me call that?"

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's against most league rules, and probably most tournament rules, if they have written-out rules. For example, BCA/CSI league rules:

It actually says later that you can't use your phone during a match, which is kind of laughable today. What are people going to do while they're waiting (I plead guilty to this)?

If you're playing someone listening to music, you should be able to claim pushout whenever you miss that shot, or claim that you called that fluke shot in a call-shot game - "what you didn't hear me call that?"
I was going to say something like this. The league I played in for 1 night then stopped due to covid concerns had this as a rule. Also from what I understand shane can't turn off his hearing aids during tournaments.

As far as phone goes yes this also was a rule. and I know I will break this rule. Its not a question of if but when.