Playing different with different cues

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a question for you guys that really has me baffled.
How many of you can pick up any cue and play as good with it as you can with your own cue that you always use?

Here is why this has me baffled. I normally shoot with a d series mcdermott. Shaft has been broken so it is a hair over 57" long, not positive on weight but it is supposed to be in the 18s and it's balance point is 16 3/8" from the butt, 11.82 mm tip, and has a Moori medium tip that's probably 5 years old.
I have been lights out with it the past few weeks as far as making shots. Cuts went where I wanted them, I hit where I was aiming, it just all fell into place.

Well a year ago, I bought a Jacoby. It's 18 oz, a little over 58" long, balance point is 18 3/8" from butt. When I got the cue, I didn't shoot well with it. Couldn't get use to it. It had a 13mm tip on it so I figured it was throwing me off since I grew up using smaller tips.
Last week I got the shaft shaved down to a hair under 12mm and put a kamui clear medium on it.
I left from picking the shaft up and went straight to a small bar tournament with some friends I shoot at every week. Played a couple games before the tournament with it, played awful. Shot with my mcdermott in the tournament, did awful. Afterwards, I went and played some with the Jacoby to get use to it, couldn't make a dang ball it seemed. I've played with it nearly every night for a week and I'm so inconsistent it's pitiful with it.

I have never had this issue before. I'm normally a super consistent player but since I swapped cues, I just can't hit where I am aiming.
I completely missed two balls that were fairly thin cut shots in one game last night. I see where I need to hit the OB, aim the same, no english, and it just misses.

I've stroked through a bottle and can do it pretty dang well so I don't feel it's my stroke. I thought I may just be in a slump but missing balls as badly as I've been doing doesn't make sense to me. I'll shoot 2 or 3 good, then miss the next by 4 inches.

So, back to the main topic, I picked up a friend pechauer (spelling?) that has a 13mm tip and shot pretty darn well with It. Swapped back to my cue, played okay for a few games and it started getting worse again.

Has my brain stumped. Shouldve been in the money 3 times last week and couldn't pull it off because of my inconsistencies.

What is everyone's opinion? And of course, can you swap cues and play the same?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many of you can pick up any cue and play as good with it as you can with your own cue that you always use?

Here is why this has me baffled. I normally shoot with a d series mcdermott. Shaft has been broken so it is a hair over 57" long, not positive on weight but it is supposed to be in the 18s and it's balance point is 16 3/8" from the butt, 11.82 mm tip, and has a Moori medium tip that's probably 5 years old.
I have been lights out with it the past few weeks as far as making shots. Cuts went where I wanted them, I hit where I was aiming, it just all fell into place.

Well a year ago, I bought a Jacoby. It's 18 oz, a little over 58" long, balance point is 18 3/8" from butt. When I got the cue, I didn't shoot well with it. Couldn't get use to it. It had a 13mm tip on it so I figured it was throwing me off since I grew up using smaller tips.
Last week I got the shaft shaved down to a hair under 12mm and put a kamui clear medium on it.
I left from picking the shaft up and went straight to a small bar tournament with some friends I shoot at every week. Played a couple games before the tournament with it, played awful. Shot with my mcdermott in the tournament, did awful. Afterwards, I went and played some with the Jacoby to get use to it, couldn't make a dang ball it seemed. I've played with it nearly every night for a week and I'm so inconsistent it's pitiful with it.

I have never had this issue before. I'm normally a super consistent player but since I swapped cues, I just can't hit where I am aiming.
I completely missed two balls that were fairly thin cut shots in one game last night. I see where I need to hit the OB, aim the same, no english, and it just misses.

I've stroked through a bottle and can do it pretty dang well so I don't feel it's my stroke. I thought I may just be in a slump but missing balls as badly as I've been doing doesn't make sense to me. I'll shoot 2 or 3 good, then miss the next by 4 inches.

So, back to the main topic, I picked up a friend pechauer (spelling?) that has a 13mm tip and shot pretty darn well with It. Swapped back to my cue, played okay for a few games and it started getting worse again.

Has my brain stumped. Shouldve been in the money 3 times last week and couldn't pull it off because of my inconsistencies.

I believe the cue means a lot. And yes I believe in the magic wand.

If you are missing with a pool cue, then it's the wrong cue.

Forget about the Indian and arrow comments.

The arrow definitely makes a huge difference.:thumbup:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is "magic cue" syndrome.

(insert flashback music)

I was living in San Francisco, my home town, in the late 70’s, graduating from college by the thinnest of margins (having majored in pool), and killing time waiting for the USAF to finally put me on active duty. I’d been commission a 2nd Lieutenant, but there were so many guys in the pipeline they told me to get lost for a couple of years until the backlog cleared and I could come on active duty.

So, I was working the swing shift at Wells Fargo headquarters in downtown SF and playing a lot of pool when all of us at the pool hall started to notice the sporadic appearances of these funny looking pool cues everywhere. They all had a lot of plastic inlays and skinny shafts. BUT the thing that really got us all salivating were the countless reports of how much spin you could get on the ball with a Meucci. (Pool room scholars of the time would spend endless hours in Talmudic-like debates about the proper pronunciation. “It’s ‘May-oo-chee;’” “No, ‘Mew-chee;’” “”I think it’s ‘Moo-key.’” And so it went. Regardless, we all recognized that no matter what you called them, these pool cues really spun the rock in a way no other pool cue of the era could.

Then one day a pile of Meucci brochures appeared at the pool hall desk and we were all *really* hooked. They were 8x10 color brochures that folded open. The cover was a heroic George Washington crossing the Delaware, standing in a row boat with, incredibly, a Meucci in hand.

I took a couple of brochures home and didn’t see anything that I really liked. Most of the cues where either too plain or too gaudy for my traditional sense of pool cue aesthetics. So I pulled out one of my X-Acto knives and actually glued together a ring here, a butt there, and a wrap from that one, until I had what was, in my mind, the perfect Meucci. I called the number on the brochure and, incredibly, somewhere down in Olive Branch, Mississippi, Bob Meucci himself answered the phone. I told Bob what I wanted, asked for two shafts, and about $300 and a few weeks later, it was in my hands.

Right off the bat, I hated the shinny sealed wrap. The wrap itself was a traditional white-with-flecks, but coated with almost the same finish that was on the butt itself. Thinking that maybe, just maybe, it was some sort of “protective wax” I took a wet paper towel to it. Big mistake. The coating was indeed water soluble but my paper towel and hands immediately started turning purple. Why purple, I have no idea -- the wrap after all was white -- but the coating was purple and though it eventually came off, it was at the expense of raising the threads of the underlying wrap and a few stains that looked like I’d been playing while eating jam (don’t go there).

The Air Force finally granted me asylum and off I went to Great Falls, Montana. Like I said, this was all late 70’s. At about the same time I was to own a Gina, a McDermott (made by Jim McDermott), a Richard Black, and a $25 Viking which was to play a memorable role when I entered my first Montana State 8Ball Tournament.

Back in 1977 I was lucky enough to win a qualifier for the National 8ball Championship, held that year in Dayton, OH. At that tournament, every player was given a free Viking cue. As I recall, it was a merry widow style cue and had a clear plastic sleeve in the butt underneath which said something like "National 8ball Tournament" in gold on black. I came home and threw it in my closet.

A few months later I'm playing in the Montana State 8Ball Tournament. This is a very big deal up North because basically every bar up there has two million teams playing 8ball all winter and so there are several hundred players playing in a hotel in downtown Great Falls. My tip had come off my playing cue a few days before and I was concerned the re-glue job might not take, so, just as a back up, I pull the freebie cue out of the closet. 

Right off the bat, my first match, I could tell I wasn't playing well. (Yes, the tip was glued on just fine.) After a few shots, out of pure desperation, I pull out the freebie cue.

Suddenly, everything was right with the world. I couldn't believe the difference. Everything looked right when I got down on the shot. Everything worked right when I pulled the trigger. A little while later, I switch back to my regular cue, a very nice, expensive job, to see how it felt by comparison and immediately, after just a couple of shots, I can tell that it's not right. So I go back to the $25 special. To make a long story short, I end up in the finals, go hill-hill, play a safe on Jack Larson’s last ball and lose on what may have been one of the greatest kick shots anyone has ever played on me. If not for that cue, I probably would have gone two and out.

So back to the Meucci: After my failed experiment with the wrap I played intermittently with the Meucci until on one visit to San Francisco, to see family, I take it to Whitehead and Zimmerman, the main pool table and cue distributor in the city. It was a great old musty place down on Howard Street in the downtown area. I think it was Earl Whitehead hisself that I showed the Meucci to and asked if he could re-wrap it with black Irish linen. He said, “I don’t have any black Irish linen in stock but I can do it in black nylon.” So I say, “OK” and a couple of days later it was ready and Meucci, wife and I drive back to Montana.

At the time I was, pretty much like today, an aspiring player. As a 9ball player I was capable, with perfect alignment of the stars, of running a couple of racks. And so I entered a 9ball tournament at The Corner Pocket in Missoula, one weekend in 1981 -- the last year of my four year tour at the Northern Tier. And, for whatever reason, I decided that my newly nylon re-wrapped Meucci would be my weapon of choice.

It was a pretty big field, with guys like Mike Chewakin and Panama Ritchie leading the pack. I found out later that two of the guys from Great Falls, Parks and Tim Nelson -- part owner of TJ’s, my home room in Great Falls -- bought me, not too surprisingly, on the cheap in the Calcutta, all the big established names driving the total side purse up into several thousands of dollars.

And we began to play.

You know, we all talk about the Indian or the arrow thing, but I can honestly tell you that sometimes, without question and with zero doubt: it is the arrow.

With the newly re-wrapped Meucci I am running out from everywhere. My safety play is stellar. I am thinning balls by the thinnest of margins, sending whitey to the end rail and gluing it to the other, consistently leaving my opponents 9’ away. One after another they drop by significant margins. Mike “Chewy” Chewakin is so incensed at the beating he is taking at my hands that he makes a scene and Parks and Tim have to pull me away from the table, urging me, “Don’t let him get under your skin.” (As I continued to go deeper into the tournament, Parks and Tim begin to pre-celebrate and tap into their anticipated Calcutta score and begin to get increasingly drunk, hooting and hollering as they repeatedly calculate the exponential return on their $20 Calcutta investment). Next, I demolish Panama Ritchie in the semi-finals. It was so ridiculous that at one point Ritchie turns to the crowd and disgustedly says, “I’ve beaten champions all over the country and here I am losing to this kid.”

So let me just say this, because I don’t think I’ve adequately conveyed at what level I’m playing at that day in early 1981 with the nylon re-wrapped Meucci: I am not only playing run out pool, I am in mortal dead punch. I am walking up to the table and casually drawing the ball back to the rail with reverse spin and popping back out two rails for perfect position; I am over spinning the cue ball off the end rail bending it to go cross table to slip under an object ball and come out perfect on my next target; I am playing caroms and tickies to make 9balls sitting near pockets disappear. There is not a cross-side bank that I am not drilling. It is completely and totally ridiculous and I lose in the finals to a fantastic black player whose name escapes me, and he wins, but just barely. Parks and Tim can barely stand. They are drunk as skunks and are hooting and hollering and laughing their asses off at the thousands they’ve won with their $20 dark horse bet.

After the tournament, a guy who was a local cue maker comes up to ask me about the Meucci. We talk and I tell him about the wrap and how Whitehead and Zimmerman only had black nylon in stock and he says, “Well, I can re-wrap it for you with black Irish linen if you want.” And I say, “Sure” and give him the cue. A week later it is my hands and, as advertised, is beautifully wrapped in black Irish linen.

And I never play 9ball again as well as I did that weekend with the Meucci wrapped with nylon. Ever.

Nowadays, the Meucci sits at the bottom of my closet in its brown Fellini case. I haven’t played with it in years. But every once in a while, like now, I think about it and consider having it re-wrapped in black nylon.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is "magic cue" syndrome."

(insert flashback music)

I was living in San Francisco, my home town, in the late 70’s, graduating from college by the thinnest of margins (having majored in pool), and killing time waiting for the USAF to finally put me on active duty. I’d been commission a 2nd Lieutenant, but there were so many guys in the pipeline they told me to get lost for a couple of years until the backlog cleared and I could come on active duty.

So, I was working the swing shift at Wells Fargo headquarters in downtown SF and playing a lot of pool when all of us at the pool hall started to notice the sporadic appearances of these funny looking pool cues everywhere. They all had a lot of plastic inlays and skinny shafts. BUT the thing that really got us all salivating were the countless reports of how much spin you could get on the ball with a Meucci. (Pool room scholars of the time would spend endless hours in Talmudic-like debates about the proper pronunciation. “It’s ‘May-oo-chee;’” “No, ‘Mew-chee;’” “”I think it’s ‘Moo-key.’” And so it went. Regardless, we all recognized that no matter what you called them, these pool cues really spun the rock in a way no other pool cue of the era could.

Then one day a pile of Meucci brochures appeared at the pool hall desk and we were all *really* hooked. They were 8x 10 color brochures that folded open. The cover was a heroic George Washington crossing the Delaware, standing in a row boat with, incredibly, a Meucci in hand.

I took a couple of brochures home and didn’t see anything that I really liked. Most of the cues where either too plain or too gaudy for my traditional sense of pool cue aesthetics. So I pulled out one of my X-Acto knives and actually glued together a ring here, a butt there, and a wrap from that one, until I had what was, in my mind, the perfect Meucci. I called the number on the brochure and, incredibly, somewhere down in Olive Branch, Mississippi, Bob Meucci himself answered the phone. I told Bob what I wanted, asked for two shafts, and about $300 and a few weeks later, it was in my hands.

Right off the bat, I hated the shinny sealed wrap. The wrap itself was a traditional white-with-flecks, but coated with almost the same finish that was on the butt itself. Thinking that maybe, just maybe, it was some sort of “protective wax” I took a wet paper towel to it. Big mistake. The coating was indeed water soluble but my paper towel and hands immediately started turning purple. Why purple, I have no idea -- the wrap, after all, was white -- but purple it was and though it eventually came off, it was at the expense of raising the threads of the underlying wrap and a few stains that look I’d been playing while eating jam (don’t go there).

The Air Force finally granted me asylum and off I went to Great Falls, Montana. Like I said, this was all late 70’s. At about the same time I was to own a Gina, a McDermott (made by Jim McDermott), a Richard Black, and a $25 Viking which was to play a memorable role when I entered my first Montana State 8Ball Tournament.

Back in 1977 I was lucky enough to win a qualifier for the National 8ball Championship, held that year in Dayton, OH. At that tournament, every player was given a free Viking cue. As I recall, it was a merry widow style cue and had a clear plastic sleeve in the butt underneath which said something like "National 8ball Tournament" in gold on black. I came home and threw it in my closet.

A few months later I'm playing in the State Tournament. This is a big deal up North because basically every bar up there has two million teams playing 8ball all winter and so there are several hundred players playing in a hotel in downtown Great Falls. My tip had come off my playing cue a few days before and I was concerned the re-glue job might not take, so, just as a back up, I pull the freebie cue out of the closet. 

Right off the bat, my first match, I could tell I wasn't playing well. (Yes, the tip was glued on just fine.) After a few shots, out of pure desperation, I pull out the freebie cue.

Suddenly, everything was right with the world. I couldn't believe the difference. Everything looked right when I got down on the shot. Everything worked right when I pulled the trigger. A little while later, I switch back to my regular cue, a very nice, expensive job, to see how it felt by comparison and immediately, after just a couple of shots, I can tell that it's not right. So I go back to the $25 special. To make a long story short, I end up in the finals, go hill-hill, play a safe on the Jack Larson’s last ball and lose on what may have been one of the greatest kick shots anyone has ever played on me. If not for that cue, I probably would have gone two and out.

So back to the Meucci: After my failed experiment with the wrap I played intermittently with the Meucci until on one visit to San Francisco, to see family, I take it to Whitehead and Zimmerman, the main pool table and cue distributor in the city. It was a great old musty place down on Howard Street in the downtown area. I think it was Earl Whitehead hisself that I showed the Meucci to and asked if he could re-wrap it with black Irish linen. He said, “I don’t have any black Irish linen in stock but I can do it in black nylon.” So I say, “OK” and a couple of days later it was ready and Meucci, wife and I drive back to Montana.

At the time I was, pretty much like today, an aspiring player. As a 9ball player I was capable, and with perfect alignment of the stars, could run a couple of racks. And so I entered a 9ball tournament at The Corner Pocket in Missoula, one weekend in 1981 -- the last year of my four year tour of the Northern Tier. And, for whatever reason, I decided that my newly nylon re-wrapped Meucci would be my weapon of choice.

It was a pretty big field, with guys like Mike Chewakin and Panama Ritchie leading the pack. I found out later that two of the guys from Great Falls, Parks and Tim Nelson -- part owner of TJ’s, my home room in Great Falls -- bought me, not too surprisingly, on the cheap in the Calcutta, all the big established names driving the total side purse up into several thousands of dollars.

And we began to play.

You know, we all talk about the Indian or the arrow thing, but I can honestly tell you that sometimes, without question, and with zero doubt: it is the arrow.

With the newly re-wrapped Meucci I am running out from everywhere. My safety play is stellar. I am thinning balls by the thinnest of margins, sending whitey to the end rail and gluing it to the other, consistently leaving my opponents 9’ away. One after another they drop by significant margins. Mike “Chewy” Chewakin is so incensed at the beating he is taking at my hands that he makes a scene and Parks and Tim have to pull me away from the table, urging me, “Don’t let him get under your skin.” (As I continued to go deeper into the tournament, Parks and Tim begin to pre-celebrate and tap into their anticipated calcutta score and begin to get increasingly drunk, hooting and hollering as they repeatedly calculate the exponential return on their $20 calcutta investment). Next, I demolish Panama Ritchie in the semi-finals. It was so ridiculous that at one point Ritchie turns to the crowd and disgustedly says, “I’ve beaten champions all over the country and here I am losing to this kid.”

So let me just say this, because I don’t think I’ve adequately conveyed at what level I’m playing at that day in early 1981 with the re-wrapped Meucci: I am not only playing run out pool, I am in mortal dead punch. I am walking up to the table and casually drawing the ball back to the rail with reverse spin and popping back out two rails for perfect position; I am over spinning the cue ball off the end rail bending it to go cross table to slip under an object ball and come out perfect on my next target; I am playing caroms and tickies to make 9balls sitting near pockets disappear. There is not a cross-side bank that I am not drilling. It is completely and totally ridiculous and I lose in the finals to a fantastic black player whose name escapes me, and he wins, but just barely. Parks and Tim can barely stand. They are drunk as skunks and are hooting and hollering and laughing their asses off at the thousands they’ve won with their $20 dark horse bet.

After the tournament, a guy who was a local cue maker comes up to ask me about the Meucci. We talk and I tell him about the wrap and how Whitehead and Zimmerman only had black nylon in stock and he says, “Well, I can re-wrap it for you with black Irish linen if you want.” And I say, “Sure” and give him the cue. A week later it is my hands and, as advertised, is beautifully wrapped in black Irish linen.

And I never play 9ball again as well as I did that weekend with the Meucci wrapped with nylon. Ever.

Nowadays, the Meucci sits at the bottom of my closet in its brown Fellini case. I haven’t played with it in years. But every once in a while, like now, I think about it and consider having it re-wrapped in black nylon.

Lou Figueroa

:dance:

The good old days!

Nylon wrap Meucci...I've never tried that one.

:woot:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like pro golfers do this with putters.....one stops working and they go back to an old favorite or a new one.....doesn't matter....they change something.....and when that stops working or never even clicks, they go back to the original which now seems different after using some others.

But I think the difference in the construction and the materials used in building a cue that differentiate it as equipment. Cues definitely will feel different and there are lots of reasons why. Unless you maintain the exact same specs, i.e., cue weight, shaft sizes & " shaft weights" too...very important, and shaft taper, ferrules, joint, pin twist, butt weight and diameter, wrap, tip brand/hardness/shape. etc., there are bound to be differences.......some large and some slight depending upon how many things vary.

It's taken me a while but I know exactly what works best for me in a cue. I have the specs dialed in and every cue I play with that deviates from my specs, well, I play different.....sometimes better & sometimes worse. Remember that when you buy a used pool cue, you are either buying the other person's specs or the cue-maker's specs but neither has to match yours and seldom does I might add, at least based upon what I've seen. But this also means most of the cues I own aren't matched to my specs because I bought most of them as pre-owned, used cues. I didn't order the shafts or cue weight and I bought these cues because they were close to what I wanted but the specs aren't what I'd have ordered.

I don't agree with AZers that post weight doesn't matter, shaft size doesn't matter but maybe these folks are better players than me......I dunno but to me it all matters when the cue is different from what you prefer. A baseball player will still hit the baseball using with a different length, weight or handle bat than what he'd normally use, But rest assured he'll hit for a better average and results if he uses a bat that's built to his likes and preferences. Why would anyone think pool cues are any different? I submit you will usually play better when the cue is dialed in close to what you like to play with. If you like 12.85mm shafts, then 12.65mm or 13.15mm will not play as consistently for you versus if the cue had 12.85mm shafts. You'll probably still pocket some great shots but you're scoring average per inning will suffer if you were to track it over time,

Now all of this is my opinion but this same concept/principle applies in golf and tennis and baseball and hockey.........sports that use a stick of some sort., especially with golf clubs. You'll attain better scores with golf clubs that are matched to your swing versus standard clubs at a big box retail store. Pool cues are the same way, especially since pool is a game played between the ears as much as it is on the cloth.

Last edited:

gsxr750rr

Registered
Great story Lou, enjoyed that one.

But, yeah, to me, the stick matters, yes you can play with any stick and still shoot if you know how to play but the stick that you've got thousands of hours on will be the one that you will feel more comfortable with because you have the confidence in knowing what to expect out of it, and confidence plays a big part in your ability to pocket balls and get shape. So yes, a good arrow can make a good Indian better IMO.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But, yeah, to me, the stick matters, yes you can play with any stick and still shoot if you know how to play but the stick that you've got thousands of hours on will be the one that you will feel more comfortable with because you have the confidence in knowing what to expect out of it, and confidence plays a big part in your ability to pocket balls and get shape. So yes, a good arrow can make a good Indian better IMO.

It's SO good to see someone post this. The Indian/arrow thing has bothered me for years because I've known for years it wasn't true, at least to some extent.

Banks

Banned
For short spurts, I can play as well with just about any other cue. For consistency and the long-haul, I'll stick with whatever's been my player. I've found my magic cue and that's all that matters to me. I ditched my Joss w/ LD for a Valley - sold it, didn't even bother keeping it around. Some day the magic may wear off, but until then.. rock on, little bar cue.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Great thread here. The lesson I get from it is that if you find a cue that works for you, hang on to it!

I'm guessing it is partly the cue and partly psychology at work.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread here. The lesson I get from it is that if you find a cue that works for you, hang on to it!

got on a plane in caracas to return to the usa, put my cue, that I had for 15 years and had kicked a lot of asses with, in the overhead bin......long flight etc.....got off the plane without it....remembered when I got home......gone forever :( and my game had never been as good....now play with an ld shaft hoping for a magic wand...

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Stop going back and forth with your cues and your friend's cue. Pick one and stick with it. Set up a cut shot and pocket it over and over with inside english then with outside english. Do this as many times as you can stand. Problem solved.

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great to hear everyones response. some awesome stories as well lol.

the reason i swapped from the D to the jacoby, is because i worry about someone stealing something that has so much sentimental value to me. My father and grandfather shot together with that stick and another D that i own, and he is no longer here. If it came up missing, i would be pretty devastated. I always keep a good eye on it, but sometimes if it is in my truck or i have to walk away, it scares the hell out of me.
swapping to my friends cue was just a couple games. he wanted me to try his cue and i was shooting like crap with my own, so i picked it up. nothing bad there lol

i picked up the old D12 again last night and shot a little better. at the end of the night, i still had a few shots that were WTF moments, but i shot a ton better.

also another buddy had a Dale Perry that he wanted me to try after i told him what had happened. I shot decent with that cue as well.

Have decided to keep the D12 in the case until i save enough money to order me a custom or find a stick that has very close specs.

You guys keep the stories coming and information as well!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think different cues change things you may not even be aware of.

In the case of the Meucci, I'd guess the nylon wrap slid more easily through my grip hand fingers and perhaps lengthen my grip and that prosibly ended up changing my stance and set me up lower. Of course back then I was playing with 13mm shafts, so maybe the 12.75 shaft -- that was the Meuccci default diameter -- changed my bridge. But I was also used to playing with steel jointed cues then too, so maybe it was the weight/balance of the cue that changed my set up. Then again, I'm used to ivory ferrules, so maybe the plastic Meucci ferrule changed the deflection. I suppose it could have been the type of tip...

Well, you get it. It might have been one, or several, or all of those factors. In any case, sometimes it is the arrow :)

Lou Figueroa

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member

This begs the question... have you ever had a new stick find it's way into your hands that immediately supplanted the incumbent "thousands of hours" cue?

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member

What a question! I am convinced that you adapt your playing style to the cuestick and vice versa more and more and hand in hand with your skills' development. In other words only the worst players can "play" or try to play with each cuestick as "good" as with another!

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member

What a question! I am convinced that you adapt your playing style to the cuestick and vice versa more and more and hand in hand with your skills' development. In other words only the worst players can "play" or try to play with each cuestick as "good" as with another!

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some players that can shoot well with anything, and some that can't. When Steve Davis started playing nineball, he wouldn't switch to a pool cue (i don't get it, but it worked for him apparently). Efren could shoot with a broomstick and still kick ass. I'll shoot with a house cue, or whatever is available. Some custom/production cues I flat out don't like, but I think anyone can adjust to a new cue if given time. Most of what people are saying here sounds like mental thing. If you don't feel comfortable with the cue you have, try others out until you find something that feels best.

It's a personal thing, but i do believe that the player has much more to do with it than the cue.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
it's all about knowledge and adaptability...

I can play within about 5-10% of my game with any cue but that's because I'm a deliberate player and it's taken me years to get that way.

While there are some feel player that can quickly adapt, it's very rare.

With a standard shaft I know to find the cues pivot point and use bhe, with an ld shaft I know to start with parallel English and adapt slightly for different shots.

The best thing a person can do is find what works best for him/her and stick with it. To learn all of the different methods to be able to adapt gives too many variables so that if you don't maintain top focus it becomes easy to get out of stroke. If you get tired etc you can change up something the wrong way and start missing.

It's best to work on a straight stroke and the pre shot routine that works best for you and stick with it.

Jaden

Last edited: