playing "down" to your opponent

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I'm having an issue with this. I play league and when I'm practicing with my better team mates, I play a good game. When I start a match, if I win the break I can usually break and run or get real close. My issue is when I watch my opponent shoot, if they are skilled lower or have a rough few shots, my game is out the window and I find it harder to recover. I know its a mental thing but is there anything I can do to get past this?

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I also find if I play with a new cue, my game is totally improved. I really can't justify another new cue every week! Lol!

Banks

Banned
I'm having an issue with this. I play league and when I'm practicing with my better team mates, I play a good game. When I start a match, if I win the break I can usually break and run or get real close. My issue is when I watch my opponent shoot, if they are skilled lower or have a rough few shots, my game is out the window and I find it harder to recover. I know its a mental thing but is there anything I can do to get past this?

If you get "real close", you're on the losing end if your opponent can play smart, no matter what their rating. Most people will get close more often than bnr, so you're digging yourself a hole by trying to run out too often.

Keep in mind that when you're playing league, you're giving up a handicap. That handicap is saying that you need to play at your rating or, again, you'll be on the losing end often enough. Your goal should be to max out that rating, which means you'll be giving up spots regularly. Learn how to not be 'nice' during those matches. I've seen playoff spots come down to a couple of points.. those could easily be the matches where people get careless.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
"Hey Doc, it hurts when a lift my arm. What should I do?"

"Don't lift your arm."

Don't watch your opponent.

Instead, stare at the ceiling and imagine your opponent is Efren Reyes and you're going to have to be at your best on every shot.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
All good points. I'll have to keep it mind. I especially need to pay attention to playing the table, not my opponent. I think once I get home, I'm gonna go try to get a few games.

Thanks guys!

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time your opponent makes a ball. Count that game as a loss. No matter the outcome. That may help focus and safety play. See what the score is at the end.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly apa leagues cured me of this issue. If I don't take everyone seriously some 4 is going to be celebrating with there I beat a 9 patch lol The thought of that makes me want to throw up :thumbup:

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have, or rather had an issue with playing down to my opponents skill level. Now I'm just cognizant of it and I focus on other parts of the game that are sure to keep my playing level up.

When I shoot - I focus on my stroke, shoulder position, and grip. When those 3 things are in unison I find myself shooting from ball to ball (while playing patterns) instead of focusing on my match and my opponent.

Somebody also told me that it takes the same amount of effort to make a shot as it is to miss it.

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using Tapatalk 2

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned to play pool from my younger brother. One thing he taught me well.....there are no friends (or even family) on a pool table. Once the balls are broken, its war! I once played a cute girl that kept trying to get me to take it easy on her. You know.....flirting, showing a little cleavage, the little pouting lips when I won a game. It didn't work. In the end, I won 4 to 0....... offered to buy her a drink.....and got a hug and a kiss before I had to leave. Sometimes being ruthless has its advantages!

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See this happen in our summer 9 ball league. We needed a third player for our team, so the other player says his brother will play, then he tells me he's a beginner. Well it's seven weeks into the season and he finally made two balls in a row. But what I can't understand is he has managed to win a few games, obviously against better players.

Based purely upon skill he shouldn't win a game and he really hasn't so much as the other player has left a shot that is almost impossible to miss. So the "play down" situation seems to be alive and well.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I also find if I play with a new cue, my game is totally improved. I really can't justify another new cue every week! Lol!

the new cue thing is easy....

it's the "honeymoon phase". It wears off after awhile and you realize she's just another cue :frown: If you stick with one though you'll get to know her so well, some things (that could be difficult) become automatic. :thumbup: Problem is, we are men, and like the saying goes....no matter how HOT she is, someone is either or has at one time gotten sick of (changed to refer to cues) banging her around :p

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned to play pool from my younger brother. One thing he taught me well.....there are no friends (or even family) on a pool table. Once the balls are broken, its war! I once played a cute girl that kept trying to get me to take it easy on her. You know.....flirting, showing a little cleavage, the little pouting lips when I won a game. It didn't work. In the end, I won 4 to 0....... offered to buy her a drink.....and got a hug and a kiss before I had to leave. Sometimes being ruthless has its advantages!

I'm likin the bolded part here a lot!!! I beat anyone equally regardless of age, sex, ability, I beat them all as fast as I can! No discriminatin here.....:grin-square:

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the new cue thing is easy....

it's the "honeymoon phase". It wears off after awhile and you realize she's just another cue :frown: If you stick with one though you'll get to know her so well, some things (that could be difficult) become automatic. :thumbup: Problem is, we are men, and like the saying goes....no matter how HOT she is, someone is either or has at one time gotten sick of (changed to refer to cues) banging her around :p

Yup changing cue thing is a real problem. Ive found that switching back and forth between an ld shaft a regular shaft also has the same effect. Cheaper than getting a whole new cue. But damn…..sometimes it really does screw with your head.