playing off the rail by Daivd McCumber

iamgoingto

Registered
For people that have read the book what did you think? I read it a couple years back my senior year in hs and liked it a lot. Are there any other pool books out there that you recommend? I'm looking for a good pool book to read, if there are any others out there. Tell me what you know..and what you have read and liked.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iamgoingto said:
For people that have read the book what did you think? I read it a couple years back my senior year in hs and liked it a lot. Are there any other pool books out there that you recommend? I'm looking for a good pool book to read, if there are any others out there. Tell me what you know..and what you have read and liked.

You should enjoy 'Hustler Days'.
The best of 'em all is Bob Byrne's "McGorty"

Dale

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. McGoorty and Hustler Days are the two most recommended. Byrne also has a short-story book:

Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories (Paperback)

This is a lot of fun and features the The Hustler in original form.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i got the gospool and liked it. a lot of road stories and what not. i'm thinking of getting "bet high kiss low" grady mathews' book

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
Forsyth/DiLiberto's "Road Player" and Henning/Cornbread's "Pool's Greatest Money Player" are both full of great stories of the past.

thrasher789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was gonna make a thread abotu this book a couple days ago and see what people though of it and if they found some parts of it funny. (Like when Tony meets a 'kid' in new york named Robert Saez :))

Anyway, I love the book, just got done reading it for the third time this year. A couple other books I would recommend are hustler days (I know someone aready said this; but it really is that good) and one of my current fav's is "Road Player; The Danny Diliberto Story". Road Player is constantly entertainign and a fairly quick read with probably over a hundred different stories; truely one of the more interesting and entertaiing books I've ever read.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
Byrne's book of great pool stories is fiction, btw. When I purchased the book I was thinking it was real life stories about pool. It was okay but definitely not what I expected.

McGoorty is written by Robert Byrne's as well and is my favorite book about pool/billiards. Danny McGoorty played with all the great billiard/pool players from the 1920's on up through the early 70's I believe. It's basically written in Danny's own words, probably just touched up a little by Byrne's. The book follows him though growing up in Chicago in the early 20's when the mafia ruled and the run-in's he had with them to riding the railroads all the while hustling on the way. I think this story would make a great movie.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
The Hustler
The Color of Money
Do It For The Game
Hustler Days
The Green Felt Jungle
McGoorty
Billiards-Hustlers & Heroes, Legends & Lies and the Search for Higher Truth On The Green Felt (one book.. long title, hard to find, maybe out of print?)
The Gospool
Buddy Hall Rags To Rifleman (out of print, hard to find & expensive!)

barrett9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie's Game

"Willie's Game" is the autobiography of Willie Mosconi. This isn't a "stories of the road" type of book but it is still really good. It's tough to find and very collectible so it will run you at at least $40 (and thats a bargain).