Playing Off The Rail by David McCumber

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I just finished this book tonight and all I can say is WOW. What a great read. It was very well written and had excellent grammar as well. Very great stories and gives you a idea of what the life of a road player is like. My Instructor is actually friends with Tony Annigoni which I thought was pretty cool as well. Does anyone have any other good pool books they would like to recommend? I have already read Pool Wars FYI.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just finished this book tonight and all I can say is WOW. What a great read. It was very well written and had excellent grammar as well. Very great stories and gives you a idea of what the life of a road player is like. My Instructor is actually friends with Tony Annigoni which I thought was pretty cool as well. Does anyone have any other good pool books they would like to recommend? I have already read Pool Wars FYI.
Here is a thread with lots of suggestions: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=370443

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Believe it or not, I got the book for Christmas and haven't read it yet beyond a few pages.

Pretty captivating. If the first few pages are an example of what the rest holds, I will also be in for a good read.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Bob's list, John Grissim's title is actually: "Billiards: Hustlers and Heroes, Legends and Lies, and the Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt". I read this in 1978 I believe, and it's one of the best books on the list, in my opinion.
I've read most of the list, not including the Snooker titles. Good list!!

barking4action

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony annigoni is a crook! He owes several people including Jeff Gregory $5000 for his first place finish in a usppa Reno event. If you see him tell him he is a dishonest **** and ruined Bay Area tournament pool! Rant over

iateyourlunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony annigoni is a crook! He owes several people including Jeff Gregory $5000 for his first place finish in a usppa Reno event. If you see him tell him he is a dishonest **** and ruined Bay Area tournament pool! Rant over

I learned that about him today and its a little sad to hear because in the book Tony is made to sound like a real nice upstanding player.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, I got the book for Christmas and haven't read it yet beyond a few pages.

Pretty captivating. If the first few pages are an example of what the rest holds, I will also be in for a good read.

Couldn't be too captivating if you've had it since Christmas. Just kidding finish it . Great read.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, I'm sure there is a least four people here who don't know all about that:rolleyes:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
On Bob's list, John Grissim's title is actually: "Billiards: Hustlers and Heroes, Legends and Lies, and the Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt". I read this in 1978 I believe, and it's one of the best books on the list, in my opinion.
I've read most of the list, not including the Snooker titles. Good list!!

I have a copy of that book currently... John Grissim looks like such a pimp in his disco outfit!

Short Bus Russ - C player

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Playing Off The Rail is what got me back into pool in the early 2000's. I need to kick David McCumbers ass.

Seriously though....the way he experienced the action side of the game is the only way to do it. As a tourist. Cause that life is shitty, which I think he does a fair job showing in the book after all the romanticism of the road wears off.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kid Delicious Book-Running the Table ( i think) is equally well written or close -Anyway, you gotta like it.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a copy of that book currently... John Grissim looks like such a pimp in his disco outfit!

Short Bus Russ - C player

Hey Russ, good to see ya! If I remember right, the jacket picture was taken in Airplane House, at the time home of the then Jefferson Airplane, Grace Slick and Co.