Playing up against better players-advice please

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If life was easy, it would be boring.
My advice, keep the bet lower than higher.
Learning how to gamble/bet win/pick your spots, comes from experience.
I saw a recent article about why some top snooker players are good at poker.
They are good at reading another animal ''tells'', character etc.
Curious to what you mean by pick your spots only because he is stating that he is playing better players. Are you saying he should work on his negotiating skills?

TeddyKGB

just over my skill level. I win matches against them occasionally. But on average I'm probably winning 1 out of 3 at best

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm doing that. I live across the street from a great room with 7 and 9 ft diamonds.

I practitce on Mondays for 3-4 hours, and usually get another 3-4 hour session in on Thursday or Friday. I practice mostly on 9 ft tables

I play league Weds and Thurs nights, 8 ball tourney on Friday night, 9 ball tourney during the day on Saturday, and 8 ball tourney Saturday night whenever I can manage.

Im definitely improving, but sometimes I question whether I should be practicing vs getting my ass kicked in the tournaments against superior players for the time being.

A couple of suggestions:

(1) Keep getting your "ass kicked" against the superior players, remember your unforced errors and your opponent's safety/quality play. Then practice them.

(2) Treat all shots the same -- hard or easy, in practice or in competition. Same pre-shot routine, tempo, etc. I find this takes the edge off the hard shots in competition and when I do make unforced errors, I try to figure out what I did wrong before I sit back down in my chair (raised my head, stroked off center, hit a safety too hard, ...) versus getting mad or beating myself up. File that info away for the next practice session, vow to not repeat that same mistake again during the competition you're currently in and go back to step #1 above.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im following the advice of playing against opponents that are better than me, but Im struggling to find a balance between taking my losses and growing from them, and being frustrated and disappointed by the losses.

I'm not delusional enough to think that i should be winning against opponents that i know are much better than me, and much more experienced than I am, but I also try to approach the matches with confidence that i can win, which turns in to a bit of a mind fuck.

Any advice on playing up, staying positive/confident, but having realistic expectations?

Thanks

You absolutely need to come into any match thinking you can win. Even if you know you very likely won't. Starting a game saying "well, I lost already" is worse than starting it "I am going to run 7 racks on Strickland and he won't shoot once". I know one person that is so negative they can be used in an atom as a electron. At the start of the match if it's a worse player they always say "they are still better than me just not ranked properly" and expect to loose, if it's a better player, they automatically assume they can't win. Every time they leave the table they say "well that game is over" even if playing not a good player that everyone knows can't run out. No-one can expect to play good doing that. Those are the players that stay a C player for 30 years.

WobblyStroke

Im following the advice of playing against opponents that are better than me, but Im struggling to find a balance between taking my losses and growing from them, and being frustrated and disappointed by the losses.

Any advice on playing up, staying positive/confident, but having realistic expectations?

A realistic expectation is to lose. No use getting upset over the reality of the situation. You aren't playing these guys to compete yet, you are playing them to see what you can pick up from watching them operate.

One of the benefits of playing a better player is that they will punish your mistakes and seer them into your mind. They expose what you need to work on at the practice table. Giving away games? Go ahead and be pissed off with yourself and use that fire to focus you in your practice sessions.
I practitce on Mondays for 3-4 hours, and usually get another 3-4 hour session in on Thursday or Friday. I practice mostly on 9 ft tables

I play league Weds and Thurs nights, 8 ball tourney on Friday night, 9 ball tourney during the day on Saturday, and 8 ball tourney Saturday night whenever I can manage.

Im definitely improving, but sometimes I question whether I should be practicing vs getting my ass kicked in the tournaments against superior players for the time being.
Different people prefer different ratios of play to practice and a lot can go into deciding what fits you just right but if you are questioning playing as a dog vs just practicing, you are probably playing too much and not practicing enough for ur current goals.

SL5/6 is a solid level of play and one some people are content to stay at for the rest of their playing lives. These guys will def play a lot more than practice. For guys aspiring to be better players who see SL6 as a pitstop on their way up, there will be more of a priority on practice and plugging up the holes in their games that get exposed when playing against better players.

George the Greek

I would just keep playing the league/tournament play like your doing and trying your best. More importantly is using practice time to work on what your struggling the most with and get better at it. There are plateus for every level you get to and once you recognize a level push harder to get to the next one. You should be able to pick up on what the better players are doing better than you and work on that.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just over my skill level. I win matches against them occasionally. But on average I'm probably winning 1 out of 3 at best
In your original post you stated your opponents were "much better than me" and "much more experienced".
In this post you are saying "just over my skill level".
Your winning 1 out of 3. Not bad
If you were winning 2 out 3 this wouldn't be an issue.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
softer action.
In his original post he didn't state that he was gambling and then said he was playing league/tournaments in post 22 so he can't pick his spots.

Now if he was gambling there's nothing wrong with taking a shot at a better players knowing you're taking the worst of it. You're old school and I'm sure you've seen plenty of that.

After all doesn't everyone say you need to play better players to get better?

As for how it relates to getting better the goal needs to be within grasp otherwise it seems futile which doesn't really make sense because the OP stated that his batting average against better players is .333 which isn't all too shabby.

Zerksies

If you know you can't win. Absorb as much info as you can. When you miss a shot you need to start thinking why did i miss? Not just my
aim was off, but you need to start questioning why the aim was off.

TeddyKGB

Thats why its a bit frustrating..I know im right there, improving, and not far off from being competitive with them..
Honestly, I usually lose due to lack of cue ball control resulting in a bad leave and not being very good at safety play when theres say 4 or less balls left on the table

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Against much better opponents, I take the mindset of accepting that I'm an underdog and looking for a way to win. That means taking care to give them nothing when they come to the table, and trying to take my chances when I can get out. (Obviously we should be doing these things anyway, but the 'looking for a way to win' situation seems to give me more focus on them.) It works for me (in terms of playing well, not always winning - although I seem to win more than I 'should'), whether it works for you too might depend on your temperament.

Another thought: Instead of thinking of success as beating the guy and failure as losing, it's worth recognizing that success can mean playing well and giving the guy a hard time. In your situation, this is just objectively true, I think.

I once played an exhibition game against the UK's #1 ranked player, and though I lost, I played great. One shot in particular I was very proud of. I consider that experience overall a big success (albeit tinged with regret for blowing a chance to win).

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you can't really tell how much better a player is than you, which is natural. Ask for a handicapped that they are uncomfortable with. When they hesitate to give you that handicap/weight. You will know where you stand with them. If they are comfortable with your first offer. Ask for more.
That would be a quick way to get on my "do not play" list. Ask me for weight, and then ask for more if I agree?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not delusional enough to think that i should be winning against opponents that i know are much better than me, and much more experienced than I am, but I also try to approach the matches with confidence that i can win, which turns in to a bit of a mind fuck.

Thanks
Playing against a better player, all the pressure is on them, particularly if you are able to keep the match close. Try not to sell out and opt to play safeties when you have a low percentage shot, forcing the better player to earn the win by making tough shots.