Playing up against better players-advice please

TeddyKGB

Im following the advice of playing against opponents that are better than me, but Im struggling to find a balance between taking my losses and growing from them, and being frustrated and disappointed by the losses.

I'm not delusional enough to think that i should be winning against opponents that i know are much better than me, and much more experienced than I am, but I also try to approach the matches with confidence that i can win, which turns in to a bit of a mind fuck.

Any advice on playing up, staying positive/confident, but having realistic expectations?

Thanks

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bring more defense, safety play, into your game. It's not about making every shot
it's about controlling the table. Would really need to know more about your skill level.
Are you like a 3 playing 7's, or a 5 playing 7's.
If your skill level is up to where you can execute shots well then take high percentage shots,
otherwise play safe.
IF lacking in the basics then find an instructor to work on fundamentals.

If all else fails tell him his mustache, if he has one, is longer on one side than the other. He'll
worry about it all night and won't be able to shoot. :cool:

Last edited:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
there was a thread on here long ago I cant find it.. but it was suggested that you record your next 100 misses as in ..... I left myself a little steep and had a hard cut near the rail...
he played safe and I had to attempt a two rail kick and I fouled.... ect...

and you do this 100 times then you read that book looking for themes and that's what you need to focus on at practice..

and if you don't practice... you will get squashed by everyone who does.. or did..

for most quality pool players there is a period of 5+YEARS where they were at a table cue in hand every day... mostly alone, figuring it out

and if you haven't done that, that's why you are losing to the quality players..

no one in the history of the game was instantly great.. it takes work but it is achievable

every single pool player is as good as they were willing to get..

Last edited:

Texas3cushion

Im following the advice of playing against opponents that are better than me, but Im struggling to find a balance between taking my losses and growing from them, and being frustrated and disappointed by the losses.

I'm not delusional enough to think that i should be winning against opponents that i know are much better than me, and much more experienced than I am, but I also try to approach the matches with confidence that i can win, which turns in to a bit of a mind fuck.

Any advice on playing up, staying positive/confident, but having realistic expectations?

Thanks
Since you can't really tell how much better a player is than you, which is natural. Ask for a handicapped that they are uncomfortable with. When they hesitate to give you that handicap/weight. You will know where you stand with them. If they are comfortable with your first offer. Ask for more.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are purposely seeking opponents better then you, you are supposed to lose, that is the expected result. If you are bothered by that, you are really setting yourself up. Try to eliminate the free trips to an open table, that you give up. Focus on the process, results will follow.

While I'm new and only just started playing pool, I found with snooker, most really good players will give you a handicap. Years ago the professional would give you a 21 start in snooker. How that would work in pool, maybe someone else will tell us?

Bring more defense, safety play, into your game. It's not about making every shot
it's about controlling the table. Would really need to know more about your skill level.
Are you like a 3 playing 7's, or a 5 playing 7's.
If your skill level is up to where you can execute shots well then take high percentage shots,
otherwise play safe.
IF lacking in the basics then find an instructor to work on fundamentals.

If all else fails tell him his mustache, if he has one, is longer on one side than the other. He'll
worry about it all night and won't be able to shoot. :cool:

May I ask you what that means the level thing please Tim?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has lost money to better players in and effort to get better.
Play cheap and play even.
You usually have to pay for weight.

Better players see the table differently.
Don't waste your time in the chair.
Watch your opponent and discern their thought processes as they play.
Watch their eyes, where they look.
Especially watch their safety play.

Think of it as paying for a lesson.
We've all done it, not just you.
It's how you become a better player.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

The better player is showing you what they know.

IOWs, they are giving you a lesson, so don't look it so much as competition as a learning experience. Watch their form, their shot selection, where they cue the ball, their CB speed and the patterns they play. I've had guys that don't play as good want to play me. Some of them are clearly out just to win and that's fine. But others are watching and learning. They're the guys that, the next time we play, are shooting some of my shots back at me. It pisses me off a little but it also tells me they respect my game and are trying to emulate what I've shown them. Those are the guys that get better fastest.

Lou Figueroa

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
Playing better players is a key component (maybe the most important thing imho) in the process of improving. You are right to think there is a tension between better and futile.

For me, I went through a time where I was able to match up for cheap stakes against an advanced player and we started at 12 - 5 in one pocket... years ago. My mindset was to play a long session with him (4-5 hours), and not lose "too much". For me, "too much" meant I wanted to be within 1-3 games of even by the end. If I accomplished this, I counted it as a good learning experience, and I worked to move the spot smaller...which I did...quickly. The same player now gives me 8-7, but the game is still in his favor. The game is always in his favor, because he is doing me the solid of playing cheap.

This process worked for me. I hope you are able to find something similar.

kollegedave

TeddyKGB

I dont play APA but ive been told by reputable players that im probably a strong 5 or soft 6, and im playing against quality 7s for sure.

I'm not gambling in free open games so i cant get a handicap, I'm playing these guys in your typical friday/saturday night tournaments. They all play at the same bar and most people dont even waste their time playing there cause uts a room full of killers. Theyre all good dudes though, and theyre actually pretty supportive of me getting my ass kicked regularly

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont play APA but ive been told by reputable players that im probably a strong 5 or soft 6, and im playing against quality 7s for sure.

I'm not gambling in free open games so i cant get a handicap, I'm playing these guys in your typical friday/saturday night tournaments. They all play at the same bar and most people dont even waste their time playing there cause uts a room full of killers. Theyre all good dudes though, and theyre actually pretty supportive of me getting my ass kicked regularly
Might I suggest that you find yourself a poolroom with 9 foot tables to frequent.
In my experience, a poolroom is where you learn the game, not necessarily bar room play.
The legends of the game learned in poolrooms and I guarantee you they also took a lot of "lessons" starting out.

TeddyKGB

I'm doing that. I live across the street from a great room with 7 and 9 ft diamonds.

I practitce on Mondays for 3-4 hours, and usually get another 3-4 hour session in on Thursday or Friday. I practice mostly on 9 ft tables

I play league Weds and Thurs nights, 8 ball tourney on Friday night, 9 ball tourney during the day on Saturday, and 8 ball tourney Saturday night whenever I can manage.

Im definitely improving, but sometimes I question whether I should be practicing vs getting my ass kicked in the tournaments against superior players for the time being.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
Playing better players in rotation games doesn’t do much for me. They play better position and when they get out of line they still shoot your nuts off. There’s much to learn from their safety play. Mostly you just get an a$$ whooping.

Now go play better 1P players and you’ll learn a whole lot more about the game and pool in general. 1P will also advance your 8 ball game to new levels you never thought about.

I try and balance my play between a little below my level to above my level and try to understand my short comings and work on them in practice sessions.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Thanks
If life was easy, it would be boring.
My advice, keep the bet lower than higher.
Learning how to gamble/bet win/pick your spots, comes from experience.
I saw a recent article about why some top snooker players are good at poker.
They are good at reading another animal ''tells'', character etc.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks