Pocket speed

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enough speed to allow the OB to drop into the pocket (not enough speed to get to the back of the pocket). Similar to hole speed in golf where a put is hit soft enough to drop by hitting any part of the hole.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The speed in which the object ball is able to make it to the pocket, but if hit any slower, wouldn't drop.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! When is pocket speed used?

Truck drivers are said to use it when going cross country. With electrinic log books that may be a thing of the past.
I heard a rumor that poolplayers do some and then play for daze.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends

Depends on the shot. Some shots need to be struck in that manner to make the ball. For example shots that need to hit the rail right before the pocket at shallow angles need to be hit at pocket speed.

There are also a lot of people who shoot pocket speed all the time. I should clarify though that pocket speed does not mean soft or slow. Different shots will have different speeds that would be defined as pocket speed. This is of course just my opinion and from my experience.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speed required for shot at hand. Might be just cinching a ball or it could be making ball and coming two-rails out to center. Power needed for given situation.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Enough speed to allow the OB to drop into the pocket (not enough speed to get to the back of the pocket). Similar to hole speed in golf where a put is hit soft enough to drop by hitting any part of the hole.

The speed in which the object ball is able to make it to the pocket, but if hit any slower, wouldn't drop.

^^^^ my concept of pocket speed
used ALOT in onepocket

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Speed required for shot at hand. Might be just cinching a ball or it could be making ball and coming two-rails out to center. Power needed for given situation.

That is not my understanding of pocket speed. If the object ball is hitting the back of the pocket I would call that above pocket speed. As far as I understand it pocket speed has nothing to do with cue ball positioning. Maybe my understanding is incorrect, it would not be the first time.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the definition?

I thought it was a simple question; based on some of the responses there is obviously various meanings.

Personally, when referring to "Pocket Speed" my intent is to pocket the object ball with the minimal amount of force needed.

Pocket speed (with this definition) is basically to verbally indicate the speed of a given shot. I typically use the term for the purpose of telling someone how hard to hit a shot and there are few reasons for doing so:
* Some shots simply won't fall with force, pocket speed is intended to be a finesse shot.
or
* Pocket speed is used to block a pocket with your OB if it doesn't fall.
or
* Pocket speed is intended to make the next attempt (if missed) at the OB easier (i.e. closer to the pocket)

A lot of the world beaters here don't play APA where they are in a position to coach another player on their team during a match.
The pocket speed term is used constantly when coaching.
In 8 ball, there's little worse than watching two lower ranked players send OBs back to the middle of the table (vs leaving it by the pocket) on each miss.

Last edited:

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket speed is just enough to get the ball to drop in the hole without hitting the back of the pocket.

It's a good reference point when you're talking about speed control, but isn't used all that often in most games (one pocket being the main exception).

The possible advantages of shooting a ball at pocket speed are:
-It makes the pockets play a little bigger. Clipping the near rail of a corner pocket at high speeds imparts spin on the OB that can cause it to rattle out; on a slow shot, that effect is greatly reduced.
-It leaves missed balls hanging in front of the pocket. This can be useful in games where you and your opponent are playing different balls (8-ball) or different pockets (one pocket).
-It creates more swerve, cut-induced throw, and spin-induced throw. I could have listed these separately, but they all fall into the category of effects that are more pronounced at low speeds. Knowing this allows for some shots that just aren't possible at high speeds.

The possible disadvantages of shooting pocket speed are:
-Inability to play position. English, draw, and follow effects all vary significantly with speed, and some position routes are longer than others. It's pretty rare that the best position play can be achieved with a pocket speed shot, especially in rotation games.
-More susceptibility to table roll. The worse shape the table is in, the more of a problem this is, thus the tendency for bar box players to fire balls in.
-More swerve, cut-induced throw, and spin-induced throw. As mentioned above, sometimes this can work in your favor, but it is usually just adding additional complications that have to be compensated for.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is not my understanding of pocket speed. If the object ball is hitting the back of the pocket I would call that above pocket speed. As far as I understand it pocket speed has nothing to do with cue ball positioning. Maybe my understanding is incorrect, it would not be the first time.

Your understanding is the usual definition,

i.e. just enough speed for the ball to drop

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, as slow as possible? The problem is that hitting it so slow that it just makes it and drops over the edge if you hit it clean might mean that you miss it if you hit it a little off.

It's possible to hit the ball too hard so that it rattles, but it's also possible to hit it too slow that it rattles. So I prefer this definition: "the speed that maximizes the chance that the ball drops in the pocket." That's not quite the same as "slow as possible," it's more like "pretty soft but not so soft that it will hang up if you don't hit it clean."

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Good pocket speed is.....

Not hitting the ball too hard, so that it goes even when catching the rail before dropping.

But, the exact same shot, when cue ball speed is increased, the object ball won't drop, that would be excessive pocket speed.

Pocket speed is often the determining factor as to whether a pro will go for the shot, or play safe, or take another route to run out.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
When your a-hole gets puckered up.

It is also known as:
Choke stroke, and
Skid speed.

I dont know if I have ever suffered the above but there were times my butt took a bite out of the chair I was sitting in, is that what you mean?????