Polishing a Turd

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been said that one cannot polish a turd.

Many would say a Taiwan cue is a turd.

Let me tell you the story of how I found a great guy that sure as hell can polish a turd.

Last Valentine's day my wife got me a cue. Occasionally she has done this. She has done such things with other types of gifts. She goes into my Ebay watch list and buys something. Many things in my watch list are not there because I want to buy them but because I am researching them. This has led to some odd gifts. Computer parts I don't need. Motorcycle parts I don't need.

This time I had been researching a series of import cues from the early nineties. She saw one I had been watching and bought it. It turned out to be nearly pristine. The only thing that really differentiated it from new was that it had been chalked.

It is a Mizerak Professional Series SM-7. Yes, a Taiwan cue. But an amazing surprise.
It is really an excellent cue. I would say the materials, construction, fit, and finish are more on par with the best Adam produced rather than anything I have seen out of Taiwan.

The original cues came with aluminum joint protectors. They were there. But they also came with two shafts and this cue only had one. And they came with a velvet sleeve, and this cue did not have one.

So, I started poking around for an extra original shaft. I know, a real long shot for an obscure cue, and a Taiwan cue at that. I posted in the wanted section on AZB. Then I started searching Google images and old Ebay sales.

I found a pair of unknwn shafts had sold a couple of months before on Ebay that were a dead ringer. I contacted the seller with my odd request to foreward an offer to the buyer. As it turns out the Buyer is an AZB member (and I think the seller too). He contacted me. I gave him my story and he turned out to be an old softy. He was going to do some project with the shafts but agreed to sell them to me and offered to do some work on them if I wanted.

Now, one should understand that the ring work on these shafts might lead one to believe they might be from a known US maker. But I knew what they were, and they were original Mizerak Taiwan made shafts.

So I had the kind gentleman put new ferrules on and clean up the shafts. He selected some old ferrules from his personal stash as well as a couple very good medium layered tips. He offered to put ivory ferrules on as that is my preference but I declined as I didn't think the cue would merit the expense. He sent me pics of the project.

I was going nuts for these shafts.

When they finally came I was very stoked. It took a little shooting and wiping with a microfiber cloth to get them to feel right but that was done by the end of an evening shooting.

I will tell you he gave me a nice deal on the work and the shafts. He truly is an old softy.

How does the cue play? Excellent really. And now that I have these two shafts I can leave the original alone.

The cue:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shafts:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So who is the AZB member that stepped up and helped make my Valentine's gift complete?

Nuts4Tascarellas

He has since posted a cue in the gallery and it looked excellent. The man does nice work and is a straight dude to deal with. If you need some work I can happily recommend him.

Thank you Brad!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Doc, are you sure that cue is from Taiwan.

A friend has one of that quality....I told the Miz about.
...he was pretty sure that Adam made it.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice

Nice story glad you got the shafts they look great, and it sounds like you got a very special
women in life. Lucky you!!!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc, are you sure that cue is from Taiwan.

A friend has one of that quality....I told the Miz about.
...he was pretty sure that Adam made it.

I am not sure actually. I am looking for proof that Adam made them. So far no proof. But the construction is a dead ringer for Adam.

Except the pin, insert, ferrule material, and butt cap material is a dead ringer for Kao- Kao.

My theory is that the splice is Adam and the rest is Kao-Kao.

Last edited:

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice

Doc,
I'm really glad it all worked out. What a long shot huh? Thank you for the kind words. A cue is probably one of the most personal things that any of us will ever possess. I'm always glad to make one of these "magic wands" complete, and right. I say magic - because when everything is solid and working right, they feel like they have nerves in them. It was truly a pleasure to go through the process with you. It was also nice to make a new friend. I hope the cue gives you a lifetime of good times and great memories. It certainly has started it's life with you in that manner. If there is ever anything I can do for you again - don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
Brad Hamel

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not sure actually. I am looking for proof that Adam made them. So far no proof. But the construction is a dead ringer for Adam.

Why wouldn't it be from Japan? (edit: never mind. I see you're looking for that proof)

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have two Cobra Professional cues of equal quality to this cue by the way. And they were definitely produced by and imported from Kao-Kao in Taiwan.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc,
I'm really glad it all worked out. What a long shot huh? Thank you for the kind words. A cue is probably one of the most personal things that any of us will ever possess. I'm always glad to make one of these "magic wands" complete, and right. I say magic - because when everything is solid and working right, they feel like they have nerves in them. It was truly a pleasure to go through the process with you. It was also nice to make a new friend. I hope the cue gives you a lifetime of good times and great memories. It certainly has started it's life with you in that manner. If there is ever anything I can do for you again - don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
Brad Hamel

Thanks.

I should have had you refinish the joint rings and faced the shaft mating surfaces. And i should have let you do the ivory ferrules. They really did merit the ivory.

One of them needed faced. I took care of it but without a lathe it is slow and laborious. And they would have looked so much nicer with a new finish on the joint end.

Hindsight is 20-20.

I definitely made a friend. Wish we were not so far apart. I think i might learn a thing or two if we could Crack a beer together.

All the best my friend.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For cue ID geeks like me, this might be interesting:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

By the way, the weight bolt, bumper, and bumper screw in this cue are identical to those in the Cobra Professional cues I have. This is also true of the butt cap, joint collar, and pin.

Interesting to note the original "18" weight of the cue is marked under the bumper. This is not found on either of the Cobra Professional cues I have but it may be a quite incidental point.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
I bought my wife a cue like that from Sports Authority back in 2000 or so. It's a fairly nice cue for the price of $80 or so. Much better than the carbon fiber and aluminum monstrosities you find in shops these days. None of those cues' clown vomit paint schemes either.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my wife a cue like that from Sports Authority back in 2000 or so. It's a fairly nice cue for the price of $80 or so. Much better than the carbon fiber and aluminum monstrosities you find in shops these days. None of those cues' clown vomit paint schemes either.

It's an SM-7? New?

If so, did you get both shafts, the JPs, and the velvet sleeve?

For $80?

It has been said that one cannot polish a turd.

Many would say a Taiwan cue is a turd.

Let me tell you the story of how I found a great guy that sure as hell can polish a turd.

Last Valentine's day my wife got me a cue. Occasionally she has done this. She has done such things with other types of gifts. She goes into my Ebay watch list and buys something. Many things in my watch list are not there because I want to buy them but because I am researching them. This has led to some odd gifts. Computer parts I don't need. Motorcycle parts I don't need.

This time I had been researching a series of import cues from the early nineties. She saw one I had been watching and bought it. It turned out to be nearly pristine. The only thing that really differentiated it from new was that it had been chalked.

It is a Mizerak Professional Series SM-7. Yes, a Taiwan cue. But an amazing surprise.
It is really an excellent cue. I would say the materials, construction, fit, and finish are more on par with the best Adam produced rather than anything I have seen out of Taiwan.

The original cues came with aluminum joint protectors. They were there. But they also came with two shafts and this cue only had one. And they came with a velvet sleeve, and this cue did not have one.

So, I started poking around for an extra original shaft. I know, a real long shot for an obscure cue, and a Taiwan cue at that. I posted in the wanted section on AZB. Then I started searching Google images and old Ebay sales.

I found a pair of unknwn shafts had sold a couple of months before on Ebay that were a dead ringer. I contacted the seller with my odd request to foreward an offer to the buyer. As it turns out the Buyer is an AZB member (and I think the seller too). He contacted me. I gave him my story and he turned out to be an old softy. He was going to do some project with the shafts but agreed to sell them to me and offered to do some work on them if I wanted.

Now, one should understand that the ring work on these shafts might lead one to believe they might be from a known US maker. But I knew what they were, and they were original Mizerak Taiwan made shafts.

So I had the kind gentleman put new ferrules on and clean up the shafts. He selected some old ferrules from his personal stash as well as a couple very good medium layered tips. He offered to put ivory ferrules on as that is my preference but I declined as I didn't think the cue would merit the expense. He sent me pics of the project.

I was going nuts for these shafts.

When they finally came I was very stoked. It took a little shooting and wiping with a microfiber cloth to get them to feel right but that was done by the end of an evening shooting.

I will tell you he gave me a nice deal on the work and the shafts. He truly is an old softy.

How does the cue play? Excellent really. And now that I have these two shafts I can leave the original alone.

The cue:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Very nice looking cue. Interesting story.

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
As a young man I had an SM-6. Or at least I'm pretty sure it was that model. Anyway I was between cues, 17 or 18 years old, and my mom found it at a yard sale for $10. I shot phenomenal with that cue. It was a bit clunky and the shaft wobbled but for some reason it felt good to me. I certainly won enough money with it to justify the cost to my mom. The ferrule cracked and I let a guy take it to repair. I never got it back.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Oddly enough I tried polishing a turd, once, but it was fairly fresh and kept smearing.
That and I couldn't stop gagging long enough to finish the job. :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miller started Cobra -after- doing business with Miz?

It was fairly simultaneous. The documentation I have shows the application for trademark for Cobra cues was 5-9-1990 while the Mizerak trademark application was made 2-12-1990.

I don't have the articles of incorporation though so I don't know when the two corporations were established. It does appear to have been two fairly parallel ventures.