Pool and Girlfriends / Wives

9 Ball Girl

aka Wendy
Silver Member
I dated a pro for about 2 years and a bit after that. We broke up cause he told me I was too much into pool. Go figure.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
It's all relative.

You can have good and bad relationships with both people that play pool and people that don't.

It really kind of depends on who you are dating, and what type of person they are, and if that blends well with who you are.

It also depends on the commitment level you have and if you are addicted to pool at that time in your life or not.

I have thrown many relationships away because i was obsessed with pool and the girl wasn't.
And i have had many relationships go sour when i was not obsessed with pool, but was dating girls who were.

If it came down to me being obsessed with pool again, realistically, i would rather be alone then be in a relationship.
It's just so much easier to be able to just up and go and do whatever the heck you want.
Why wouldn't i want to date a poolplayer if i was obsessed with pool and they were also? After a while, it's just gets annoying.
I want to gamble, and they want to go home RIGHT THEN in the middle of my negotiations.
I want to go home, and they want to gamble.
I want to go out with friends, and they want to go to the local tournament where they can get in action or hit balls.
I want to go to the tournament and maybe match up, and they want to go out clubbing.

My experience is that when a relationship starts out, and it's NEW with 2 pool players, that it's great, and you go make the rounds together, spending every last moment immersed in pool.

But when either party for whatever reason looses a little interest in pool, it just ends up going down the toilet. It's just asking for the relationship to end.

And then if you are REALLY serious about pool.
Then you have, the whole doing this for a living, this is my career, who is going to be supportive of who's dream, and who is going to hold someone back or be a burden on them.

And then of course, you have the can't win situations like.
You draw them in a tournament, and beat them, and you end up in the doghouse, and other assorted goofy stuff like that.
You start to date them and are no longer allowed to give lessons to females in the room cause that's how you picked THEM up.
Junk like that.

There are LOTS of variables that come with dating a pool player and non pool players alike.

But there are lots of variables that come with relationships, PERIOD.

Pool is just another factor in the equation.

Personally, if i were single and had the opportunity to date a pool player again, i wouldn't.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today, it's after midnight, is my 27 year anniversary to my wife. She doesn't play but has spent many an hour watching me play.

The first time I took her to a tournament she sat through 16 hours of tournament play. That was the first sign she was a keeper.

We had our ups and downs but we've made it this far. Hopefully we'll stay together as long as time allows.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I bought a pool table and my neighbor seen it being brought in. He said that I am really messing up. He said that having a table will not allow me to go to the bar to play. Well that is the reasont that I wanted it. I didn't want to go to the bar.

Now I play on leagues and wish that my wife would play but she is not interested. Everyone needs a little space or different outlets anyways so that is ok. She like stuff that I don't like and etc.

How many times have you heard women divorcing men because they were never home? They were always working. Others wish that their husband would leave them alone. They just want that pay check comming in and don't want the old man around. Look at those rock stars or actors. How many stay married to the same person?

It all depends on your make up and what you want in a home life.

As one guy said he has been married for 44 year but to 6 different women.

My wife and I were ready to build our dream house, which we are building ourselves. She says, "make sure it's got lots of room for a pool table." "And when we put in a pier/dock, make sure it's got room for at least 2 boats." Woohoo!

So, I research the room needed for a 9' table + bar + seating, etc, design that perfect room, then design the rest of the house.

I year later, house is still unfinished, but has walls and hardwood floor, which she and I installed (280 sheets of drywall - 2500' of oak floor). No interior doors, only one working 1/2 bathroom. (But, no mortgage!) She says, it's good enough for the pool table now. Says it's gotta be a Brunswick, cuz that's the table she played on as a kid with her dad. I explain that most Brunswicks now are cheap Chinese tables - the only one worth a damn is the Gold Crown, and they are about $8-9K. I suggest we look at Diamonds. Nope, gotta be a Brunswick. If I can find one, I was gonna get a GC I or II, with the built in ashtrays in the corner. Fine with me. Happy, happy. I search everywhere. No luck. She wants one now. So,

We got a new GCIV w/ball return. She's happy. I'm happy.

She practices all the friggin time. During the day, she may win in a 4 outta 7 (the matches originally are 2 outta 3, then stretch to 3 outta 5, then 4 outta 7 and I give up). She is evil with the safety's. At night, I still have the advantage due to her crappy night vision lasiks, but it' still tough.

I am having a blast.

If you watched the U.S. Open 9 Ball Championships for the last 4 years, or get the Accustats vids, we're at the end of the front row. I'm the grey haired guy smiling, she's the babe with the butt-length blonde hair, wearing a baseball hat, to protect her lasiks eyes from the overhead light glare.

Jim

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
My buddy asked me awhile back where me and my gal met...I looked and him like he was retarted and said where the hell you think? he says I dunno...i said look where is the only place I ever go besides the store and work. He says, "ohh you met her at the pool hall!" I just laughed.

She was working up there and now has a job she loves working for a printing company...that actually does the work for the company I work for...go figure.

I got a table right in my living room, and tho she hits balls sometimes on the sly when I'm not home, she could really care less about learning to play. I love it because she doesn't sweat me on pool, she's not up my arse about it. If I want to play fine and she doesn't have to come, tho sometimes she does like to come watch but its rare.

I have a good view of both sides also. My ex fiance got into pool b/c of me, and was always up at the pool hall, and eventually started acting like she knew what the hell she was talking about, especially when we would gamble...always throwing her green horn 2cent a** comment in like it held any weight. I COULD NOT STAND HER IN THE POOL HALL!

My leading lady now, well I walk in and take over a room with my playing, my character, I SHINE LIKE A MOTHER F*K when im in a pool hall, but her she takes it over just being quiet....she's so classy and I love that about her...we are like ebony and Ivory completely differient in all aspects, I grab peoples attention and hold it as long as i like, people just flock to her without saying anything. It works for us and I'm glad it does, like she said I don't really give a hoot about pool, but i very much have alot of respect for how passionate you are about it, and its a sexy quality...I didn't have anything to say after that, and I never, never ever shut up.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Pool Chicks

My girlfriend used to come and hang out all the time, now everytime I don't want to go somewhere with her I have to hear her ***** about all the time she spent in the pool hall.