AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok ok. Until I get the video out...

1976f1517ee06784e1e93a21ea05d23a.jpg

~ K.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that glitter collecting at the bottom of the ball? So is it liquid inside or hollow?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that glitter collecting at the bottom of the ball? So is it liquid inside or hollow?

Neither. This is a solid resin ball with what appears to have small colored chips embedded within the entire ball. The other amazing thing is they all roll perfectly straight off the stimpmeter no matter the distance or cushions.

I thought this whimsical set would possibly draw a few comments or well deserved wise-cracks

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, everyone. :)

I'm rather taken with this latest set, K2K, the traditional number font is pleasing to my eye.

Tell me, sir, does their transparency render it a tad difficult to sight the edges when in play?

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning, everyone.

I'm rather taken with this latest set, K2K, the traditional number font is pleasing to my eye.

Tell me, sir, does their transparency render it a tad difficult to sight the edges when in play?

Best wishes,
RC.

Hello, sir!

A few surprising things with this relatively cheap and dare I say an inexpensive ball set while in play, Rubik’s, my friend.

Regarding your query on difficulties sighting or executing a successful pot, I’ll say zero issues that I experienced from the moment I first rolled all 16 onto the baize and began pocketing balls. I’m sure others MAY think otherwise and come up with a multitude of “differences” that effect their play with these transparent balls vs the traditional solid spheres, but I believe good shooters will argue those to be excuses

The bright and focused spot you see on the table below each ball is at first distracting but only for a few seconds until the sparkling light-show takes effect while the balls are rocketing towards their intended pocket - and an even more dramatic show takes place on slow, long rail bank shots.

As with nearly every one of the few ball sets I’ve personally showcased and briefly wrote about within this thread, I personally think that ONE of the magically things about this game of pocket billiards lies in the nuances of each and every ball set we choose to play with in whatever game we choose at that moment. From the illusion of gliding balls to pockets with the glorious solids Aramith reds to the light show of a glittery transparent set to the traditional and often favored Centennials, the BALLS make the game more than just a score or an event. Or, to put another way, they (ball sets) have the power to make each frame much more than just a “game of pool”

~ K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A century ago, Hyatt showcased a clay ball design that has been searched and sought after every year since their unveiling - the elusive and coveted Zig Zag set...

5693004960305859f469ebfaae7a9e2c.jpg

Individual balls and whole sets do come available here and there but every example I’ve laid eyes or hand upon hasn’t been worthy of my Collection and the search continues across the globe.

In the meantime, one of the premier Asian manufactures of modern day billiard balls has released a similar design by the same name: Zig Zag. By VIGMA. Kobo resin. Perfectly weighted and typical high-end quality from our western overseas suppliers of new and unique ball designs.

As with all of my VIGMA ball sets, these Zig Zags play and clean up exceptionally well. Absolutely beautiful rolling toward pockets and rails. Perfectly laid out points around each ball measure to perfection. A manufacturing marvel really, lending praise for what Hyatt was faced with over 100 years ago with their design. In clay no less.

The 2017 version of the VIGMA Zig Zags:

f9726cdba1c0be781476156e0180fb6a.jpg

31f1d6184dd734ffd2fe98f8d7f25d3c.jpg

f3e1b694c5e389198952847694faecd0.jpg

Anyone care for a game of Z-Ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Another beautiful addition to the truly amazing K2K collection!

I know you have been searching for a pristine set of the original Hyatts, my friend, so how wonderful that the estimable Vigma have created this fine homage in the meantime. :)

Best wishes,
RC. :)

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Your top ten classic pool ball sets?

Good afternoon, everyone. :)

K2K's quest to find a set of pristine Hyatt Zig Zags has me wondering what might be considered as the most desirable billiard balls? What ten sets should be in every enthusiast's collection?

Selecting a top ten is a highly subjective pursuit, of course, and prone to change frequently, but here is my own personal choice as of today. :)

The Raschig Numberless Nine Ball Tournament Set.

Aramith's Poker Ball Set of the 1970s (with both suits and values engraved).

A full set of Joe Camel Spots and Stripes (I have seen one set in forty years and missed out). :(

The Brunswick Bicentennial Set.

American Heritage Stone Cold Collection.

Aramith's Snooker Plus Set (a 1959 invention of Joe Davis).

Powerglide's 250th Anniversary Guinness Balls.

The Bacardi Breezer Bat Balls (rare as hen's teeth).

Aramith Tournament Pro Cup.

Brunswick Centennial.

What's on your list? :)

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, Rubik’s Cube - it’s been a while. Hope all is well, sir!

A Top 10 favorites list you dare ask, eh?

Well, now - THAT will require a little thought since my personal quest ranges from the truly rare up to those with remarkable or unique design characteristics - including of course my childhood favorite: the beloved Brunswick Centennials. All of which, by the way, must be playable on the baize - regardless of said rarity, age or even value. A “Playable Museum” so to speak.

To start my list of Top 10 (not in any particular order of course), I’ll go with this:

1) early 1970’s Brunswick Centennials. The first ball set I ever laid eyes on at 6 and played with as a kid with dear old Dad.

2) nearest the top of my list (if there were an order) would reside the Raschig TRIAD of the elusive unnumbered 9’s and one set each of their traditional 15’s as well as the early darted “Raschig Centennials” when first acquired by Aramith. These are special enough to group as one selection in my Top 10 list.

3) the Aramith English Snooker set with the additional (2) Snooker Plus balls to have all the options. Nothing like having unnumbered solids gliding across the table. Another childhood favorite.

4) Cuemate CHESS set from Duane Smith. Truly unique balls for a special and unique game of chess on the pool table.

5) Hyatt Romanique II’s for sure. Love the Roman numerals. Rarely found in beautiful shape with an original box.

6) Aramith Tournaments. TV Edition. The best of the “modern” ball sets available today.

7) the all-white, numbered Vigma Russian Pyramid sets in both 57.2mm and the larger 60mm version. A treat playing Rotation games.

8) my extra-special Guinness 2.25” black and whites gifted from my good friend Rubik’s from the U.K. - A get together favorite amongst friends and ice cold Guinness beverages.

9) 100 year old Hyatt clay Zig Zags. Anyone have a set they’re hoarding and would like to pass along

10) I’ll round out the list with another Hyatt design - the Bicentennials showcasing the two small stars on either side of each numbered ball - and the Liberty cue ball to match. Beautiful and classic sound.

That’s the list for today.

Thanks for the challenge and suggestion, Rubik’s!!

Looking forward to see what other AZB members chime in with for a Top 10 list

~ K

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
How could I forget the legendary Hyatt Romaniques!

Those would definitely make it into my personal top ten, too, Mr K. But which set can I drop to make a place? Hmm, what a dilemma, I can see me changing my view every few weeks or so. :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How could I forget the legendary Hyatt Romaniques!

Those would definitely make it into my personal top ten, too, Mr K. But which set can I drop to make a place? Hmm, what a dilemma, I can see me changing my view every few weeks or so. :)

May I suggest a somewhat covert grouping of ball sets under one entry and thus opening a spot or two, sir

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
value request

Does anyone have any idea of the value of these balls if indeed they are original?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=465748

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any idea of the value of these balls if indeed they are original?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=465748

Hello.

That appears to be an authentic 1st generation / issue Brunswick Centennial set of balls, sir.

Hard to (accurately) tell from the low-quality pics of individual balls as far as condition, which to some folks, can make quite a difference in the value. Speaking of value or asking price etc, that is a touchy subject that I’ll try my best to stay away from - but will say this: go with your gut. Does the price sound reasonable to you or is your first and second thought “holy moly!” accompanied by a wrinkled forehead and raised eyebrows? Recent prices and market values only mean so much. Same for another persons opinion. If that set is asking $300 and you like them and can afford it, it’s yours. Some will scoff. Others will think a bargain. I know, I know - you already knew that

Early generations of the Centennials aren’t too common in great shape. New 2017 sets fetch $325 easy. IF the set pictured were in amazing like-new near perfect condition, they’d be worth that to a collector. With a beautiful box, today’s prices may fetch upwards toward $400 and maybe $500 in near mint if pockets are flush with cash. Average condition probably will get $150-200.

My $.10

Hope that helps.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Robertod. :)

Always nice to welcome a new face to the thread, especially when they share pictures of such a beautiful box of early Centennials! The gentleman above (K2K) really knows his onions, so if you can secure that wonderful set for anything on (or below) his guidelines you would have yourself a good deal.

Best of luck, sir.
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time for a single ball here and there within this thread for the ball collectors or folks looking for something different. Thanks again to Aramith for another “specialty” ball to emphasize a great game often forgotten and left for dead in the shadows of its close cousin, 9-Ball.

Welcome to the game that makes 9-Ball look like a marathon - and yet is replete with rules to make you pay attention and play an exciting and different game...

SEVEN-BALL

1f7d4d6caab277270496dee5b912c2a3.jpg

You can use any ball set for the numbered 1 through 6 of course, but adding the specialty 7-ball made by Aramith for this game, and you will understand why the same was done with the 8-ball and of course the numerous specialty 9-balls out there.

The Aramith 7-ball I have pictured here in a rack from play last night has the familiar font and coloring from the traditional maroon/mulberry 7-Ball with the added characteristic of the black eight ball stripe to let you know it’s unique. A unique game. And the money ball.

SEVEN-BALL.

Immediately following the break shot, the opponent chooses which side of the table each player MUST pocket the 7 to win the game.

Miss pocketing the 7-ball when it’s your legal object ball and you LOSE. (Current BCA rules that is)

All fouls after the break and it’s ball in hand anywhere for the opponent.

- to name just a few rules specific to this amazing game...

And by far EASIER to handicap than any-old-game of nine ball between players of unequal skill levels: one common way is to force the better player to pocket the winning 7 in just ONE pocket on their side of the table, while the lesser skilled player can play any of his 3 OR even all 6 pockets.

Welcome to SEVEN BALL...

- And the world of just one unique ball you can add to your collection at a fair price.

Now - who’s breaking? 2 sets of a race to seven. The champion must win both. IF a tie - it’s ONE, sudden death, fast-paced, pucker-factor rack.

But wait - that’s a game called Sudden Death Seven Ball. Maybe you’ve heard of it

~ K.

Last edited: