Pool Cue at Airports

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i use a jb rugged case which i put in a duffle bag
i lock it with tsa approved locks thru the opening in the grips on the zippers
the duffle bag is locked the same way
i have traveled several times this way with no problem
once the there was tape i forget on the duffle bag or the case that indicated the locks were opened and my bag was searched
the cues were intact

So, the TSA locks mean exactly what? That the TSA folks cxan unlock and inspect but the baggage handlers can't? Is your stuff safer from being stolen this way?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, the TSA locks mean exactly what? That the TSA folks cxan unlock and inspect but the baggage handlers can't? Is your stuff safer from being stolen this way?

What it means is the locks need to be TSA proof!.. the guys you don't want to get into your s**t are the guys who have a passkey. TSA personnel are absolutely worthless..
empty uniforms.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Had a similar situation traveling on Spirit Air from Houston to L.A. I had my cue inside a hard case that was inside a larger cue duffle bag. Nothing came down with the luggage and I was told to go check at their office where over sized bags are brought. I went there and found my case just laying on the ground outside the door. No one was around and anyone could have taken the case. I grabbed it and went home. After I got home I opened the bag to find my cue in two pieces. Calling Spirit did absolutely no good. I was asked why I didn't report it at the airport. To this day I have no idea how this happened. The hard case showed no signs of damage. I loved that cue!

Spirit Airways basically is air travel for masochists. To say they suck big, hairy, stinky, sweaty b@ll$ would be understating the case. They advertise better than market rates,
but they charge up the @$$ for all those little extras...like choosing your seat. Even the furniture in their waiting area is only slightly more bearable than slabs of concrete.
2 words: NEVER AGAIN!

Sorry about your cue.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Ramp agents can and do open your bags. They can and do open locks, cut locks and cut/break zips. They know what to look for and they know where the blind spots are.

I would never check anything I couldn't live without. And would never check anything on a connection I didn't expect to be without, be it a few days or ever.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Taking a page from the NRA playbook, regardless how you feel about them,
why haven't any of the Pool & Billiards organizations formally addressed this nonsense directly with the TSA? This seems like complete ignorance on the TSA's part (surprise, surprise).

For years after 9/11 professional & high level amateur figure skaters had to check their skates, which are on par in cost with many of our custom cues. There were the performance horror stories you'd imagine about airlines losing skates and skaters left screwed at high level competitions, etc. Finally the USFSA hired the right representation and dealt with the TSA directly and got the figure skate carry-on ban eliminated. This seems like an easy fix if some P&B organization were of the mind to address it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
why haven't any of the Pool & Billiards organizations formally addressed this nonsense directly with the TSA? This seems like complete ignorance on the TSA's part (surprise, surprise).

For years after 9/11 professional & high level amateur figure skaters had to check their skates, which are on par in cost with many of our custom cues. There were the performance horror stories you'd imagine about airlines losing skates and skaters left screwed at high level competitions, etc. Finally the USFSA hired the right representation and dealt with the TSA directly and got the figure skate carry-on ban eliminated. This seems like an easy fix if some P&B organization were of the mind to address it.

That would be a fine job for the BCA instead of other silliness they are doing. Wouldn't cost that much. I can do more damage with a cane and I'm 100% certain nobody would ask for any paper work if I should up with one.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're calling on an industry who doesn't have enough cohesion to run a series of pool tournaments and call it a national tour, to affect travel laws on a national level.

lovely-good-luck-meme-post-game-detroit-tampa-bay-we-won-game-7-good-luck-meme.jpg

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There's no guarantee of anything with the TSA locks but they do add an extra layer of security. If someone wants into your bag bad enough a utility knife is all it takes.

Lou Figueroa

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
You're calling on an industry who doesn't have enough cohesion to run a series of pool tournaments and call it a national tour, to affect travel laws on a national level.

Just one specific regulation of their many travel laws actually....but I hear you.

I stole & used that meme this morning, btw.

This is why when I'm traveling with my cue I bring a plain Jane Lucasi.

Yeah, it would suck if it got damaged or stolen, but a whole lot less than my daily playing cue.

FedEx shipping is the way to go. They're the only shipping company that ships firearms.

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never flown anywhere myself (yet and I'm 49) but if I ever do, I think I would ship my cues there and back. Avoiding the airport baggage handlers. With enough insurance they'll get there safety I guess...

spot?

Registered
I use a baseball rolling bag when I travel and never had any issues checking it in as normal luggage. The one I have has a hard plastic shell in between the bat sleeve and outer fabric which fits my JB rugged 3x5 case perfectly. There's also plenty of room for clothes and other travel items so I'm only checking in one bag.

This is the new model of mine for $95 (stole mine from the kid after he finished little league)
https://www.boombah.com/us/product.html?item=94346

you might be able to find one cheap at the sports resale shops

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
+1 this is what I use also. Has wheels and room for all your cloths, works great!

I use a baseball rolling bag when I travel and never had any issues checking it in as normal luggage. The one I have has a hard plastic shell in between the bat sleeve and outer fabric which fits my JB rugged 3x5 case perfectly. There's also plenty of room for clothes and other travel items so I'm only checking in one bag.

This is the new model of mine for $95 (stole mine from the kid after he finished little league)
https://www.boombah.com/us/product.html?item=94346

you might be able to find one cheap at the sports resale shops

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EZPZ- Just fly private . Really only way to do it anyhow . No worries on prices as there's quite a few charter sharing companies . Just need to find correct time, date, and location. Find a shared charter with empty seats and can be had for as little as $1000-$1500!

Tapher86

Registered
A week from today will be my first time traveling with my cue. I have a long case 35" in length and was worried about all of this. Luckily I found a duffle bag that will accommodate my case now i have nothing to worry about. High Sierra 36" Duffle Its not considered oversized so no extra pay and that duffle is solid in its construction. I feel very confident that this will protect my cues in transit.