Pool cue extensions???

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
Has anyone use the Tony Ryan pool cue extender? Does it still feel like holding your own cue? Is it easy to install?

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
karambolista said:
Has anyone use the Tony Ryan pool cue extender? Does it still feel like holding your own cue? Is it easy to install?

im not sure which extender his is. I bought an extender fit on the front of my cue and it was just total crap.....or at least i couldnt get it to work for me, just wouldnt stay on (ok everyone can start with their penis jokes now lol)

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
karambolista said:

Tony Ryan extension fits tight on the butt and is very helpful. Cue feels heavier but balance is still pretty good. Highly recommended...

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
I bought one for my regular customers to use at my pool room. They all love it and two of them have bought one thru me. Great item.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
I know of 3, but not their official names:

1. The butt end extender that came with my Stretch system. It is an aluminum tube with a plastic collar that screws to tighten around the butt. The aluminum tubes telescope out like the Stretch bridge, to lengthen as well. Put together onto your cue, it looks like a jousting spear. Dan Louie and Rich Geiler routinely use both parts of the Stretch System. I am too undisciplined/lazy and I don't have the room to carry the apparatus. I can get you the information/phone number of Mike Danner if you want to investigate.

2. There is a guy in Canada that will put in an extender into any cue butt. It unscrews and extends out about 5-6". I can get his info as well.

3. I'm not sure who makes this thing, but basically, it is like a vacuum cleaner tube. You slip it onto your cue over the tip end and it is graduated to snug around the butt. One quick twist and it is secure. It adds another foot or so. I tried it yesterday on a 9'. The object ball was near the corner pocket about a diamond away on the end rail and the cueball was a few inches away. That was a LOOOOOONG way away. The extender did help. I can ask my friend who loaned it to me. Just let me know.

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:

1. The butt end extender that came with my Stretch system. It is an aluminum tube with a plastic collar that screws to tighten around the butt. The aluminum tubes telescope out like the Stretch bridge, to lengthen as well. Put together onto your cue, it looks like a jousting spear. Dan Louie and Rich Geiler routinely use both parts of the Stretch System. I am too undisciplined/lazy and I don't have the room to carry the apparatus. I can get you the information/phone number of Mike Danner if you want to investigate.

2. There is a guy in Canada that will put in an extender into any cue butt. It unscrews and extends out about 5-6". I can get his info as well.

3. I'm not sure who makes this thing, but basically, it is like a vacuum cleaner tube. You slip it onto your cue over the tip end and it is graduated to snug around the butt. One quick twist and it is secure. It adds another foot or so. I tried it yesterday on a 9'. The object ball was near the corner pocket about a diamond away on the end rail and the cueball was a few inches away. That was a LOOOOOONG way away. The extender did help. I can ask my friend who loaned it to me. Just let me know.

Thanks for all the info, but I'm more interested on the Tony Ryan extender cause of it's wooden appearance. I just wanted to be sure if it's a good product. I just wished I would get a chance to try it before purchasing it, but I only see this being sold at Seybert's.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:

can you pm me any information you have on the guy from Canada that makes the extender?

Thanks

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
karambolista said:
Longoni makes one that adjusts to any cue. It works very well and is padded to keep from chaffing your cue. They are very similar to the Ryan and cost about the same.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the maximum length for a cue (WPA, BCA, APA, etc,) and have you ever heard of a foul being called because a cue was too long?

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Deadon said:
Longoni makes one that adjusts to any cue. It works very well and is padded to keep from chaffing your cue. They are very similar to the Ryan and cost about the same.

I have one of the Longoni extenders a few years ago and the reason I stopped using it is because the inner plastic parts that grip the butt itself were not padded in any way and damaged the finish of the cue I was using it on. Have they changed the design?

I think the Canadian cuemaker Linda was thinking of is Deroo Cues. I'm guessing they got into the whole extension thing from their work on Snooker cues, where this is quite common. I love the idea of a built-in telescopic extension, as long as it does not adversely affect the feel of the cue for normal shooting. The next best thing in my opinion is a small, purpose designed screw-in extension like the Mezz or Cuetec systems.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Tennesseejoe said:
What is the maximum length for a cue (WPA, BCA, APA, etc,) and have you ever heard of a foul being called because a cue was too long?

No, there's no maximum length in the BCA equipment rules, only a minimum of 40" (To avoid shaft-only jump shots.)

pharaoh68

Banned
karambolista said:
Thanks for all the info, but I'm more interested on the Tony Ryan extender cause of it's wooden appearance. I just wanted to be sure if it's a good product. I just wished I would get a chance to try it before purchasing it, but I only see this being sold at Seybert's.

If this is the same one I'm thinking of (and I'm 95% sure it is), it is not only pretty unattractive but it is also not very well made. The beauty of this was that it slips over the butt of your cue but is lined with foam so that is does no damage to your finish in any way. The unfortunate part is that after about a month, the foam starts to fall out out. Then, you're left with a big piece of wood that looks like some wierd tribal candle holder. (Actually, it looks like something far worse but I can't say exactly what on this forum!!!)

Word of advice, the best extender on the market.... none. Learn to use a bridge.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
pharaoh68 said:
Word of advice, the best extender on the market.... none. Learn to use a bridge.

The purpose of cue extenders is to be able to use your natural cueing motion on the stroke (forearm at 90 degrees to upper arm), or to reach shots WITH a bridge way up table.

I'm pretty handy with a crutch, but there are shots that would benefit from being able to stroke naturally.

pharaoh68

Banned
rackmsuckr said:
The purpose of cue extenders is to be able to use your natural cueing motion on the stroke (forearm at 90 degrees to upper arm), or to reach shots WITH a bridge way up table.

I'm pretty handy with a crutch, but there are shots that would benefit from being able to stroke naturally.

I have yet to run into a shot anywhere on a table that requires me to use a bridge and an extender. I used an extender for about a month and then I realized, I'm better off with a bridge.

Now, maybe because I'm 6'1" makes it easier on me than it does on others but I think the game can be played just as easily without an extender.