Pool hall injuries. Cuts, burns, bites... whatever.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got hit in the nuts once.... on my own shot!

We were gathered around trying to hit 9 rails on the table. Starting with the CB frozen on the one long rail. I'm sure you've all seen it... Anyway, on one of my attempts, the CB got a bit airborne, and somehow bounced off of the second and third rail, and landed square on my nuts off of the third rail. It hurt. We were all cracking up.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once saw guy break so hard the cue ball up in the air and broke the light tried to clean it up and got cut.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the last mosconi cup I tripped in the stands. Tore up my knee. I was hoping for just a sprain but it turned out to be torn meniscus. Needed surgery.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Living in San Pedro, Belize almost 30 years ago...

Local dive pool hall, two guys at the next table yelling at each other. One guy leaning against the table feels around behind his back until he finds a ball - ruh roh...

Whack on the temple! - other guy drops like a rock - discussion over. Everybody goes back to playing (except the guy on the floor). Never learned how bad he was hurt.

pj
chgo

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A funny, no real damage!

Living in San Pedro, Belize almost 30 years ago...

Local dive pool hall, two guys at the next table yelling at each other. One guy leaning against the table feels around behind his back until he finds a ball - ruh roh...

Whack on the temple! - other guy drops like a rock - discussion over. Everybody goes back to playing (except the guy on the floor). Never learned how bad he was hurt.

pj
chgo

I was playing pool with someone I knew but not well, a friend of my brother I had very recently lost. It was that time of year, days started very cold, got hot by midafternoon or a little later. I had started off with a lot of layers. Knowing a lot was going on top of it when I discovered the t-shirt that I grabbed out of a drawer was very small I went on and wore it, didn't usually get down past the work shirt worn above it anyway.

Playing pool in a crowded more pub type setting than pool hall I had gotten hot and was down to the t-shirt and blue jeans. For some reason Mike thought it would be funny to dump baby powder down my butt when I bent over to break.

These aren't the kind of liberties taken with me. Mike was a big ol' boy, six five and an oilfield roughneck. It took me a split second to realize what had happened then I picked up the cue ball and came around a hundred and eighty degrees with a blow planned that would have done major damage at the least. At the last moment I realized I didn't really want to kill my brother's friend and with it being too late to stop the punch I redirected things and threw the cue ball down into the mouth of the large beer mug Mike was holding after a wind up that would have made a major league pitcher proud.

The mug was almost full and the cue ball fit almost jam tight into one of those mugs when I checked later. The beer served as a hydraulic fluid and the mug shattered. The handle was still in Mike's hand, there wasn't another piece as big as a dime. We took a few swings at each other but bare handed with no real damage done. Not the kind of punch I usually threw but another round house right caught the end of his nose. Another half inch closer and his nose would have been sticking out of his ear!

Mike and I became friends and working partners on several of my day jobs. I also used him as weight sometimes playing pool. It was a lot easier to focus on pool when I had a bunch of unhappy strangers around me when Mike was watching my back. We played partners sometimes too. Mike was just banger level but I could usually carry him on the table with no problem, the partners game was normally each take a turn until you miss, not scotch doubles unless it was Jack and Jill. Funny, it was a long time before I knew that scotch doubles wasn't another name for Jack and Jill. When that was the game and I challenged a table when I was alone I just grabbed any girl out of the crowd as my partner.

Mike died young. I was living out of town when it happened and didn't hear about it for about a year and third hand. Never knew the cause of his death.

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Breaking head on and rubbing your knuckles across the Brunswick plaque and ripping all the skin off your joint.

-td

Been there, done that! OUCH! I never could quite figure out why that happened when it seemed like I was breaking just like I had a million times before. I think I did it twice in a ten year period.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you ever caught your pants on the edge of a Gold Crown pocket casting? RIIIIPPPPP! I've been hit on the head racking the balls in 9-Ball and not getting out of the way in time. Right on the forehead but I learned my lesson for life after that. My worst pool injury was inflicted by Roger Griffis, all 300 pounds of him. He was jacked up over a ball trying to shoot and I had to watch from behind to make sure he didn't foul the impeding ball. I had to get in close behind him to see the shot and he fires away and jumps back suddenly landing squarely on my big toe. I was on crutches for two weeks and still had to direct the tournament until it concluded. I can only tell you this. When you break your big toe you can't walk! I never went to a hospital and the bone was never set. I still have a protruding bump at the base of that toe. :rolleyes: