Pool instructors and their level of play??

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Scaramouche...That is some real truth there! :thumbup: That why pros who have taken lessons from me, have come with an open mind. I leave guys like APA7 ("If you can't beat me, you can't teach me") in the dust, and just walk the other way ("Let's not waste my time, and your money").

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

To paraphrase OZ, some will never know what they don't know.

How often do we learn something from our students while we are teaching a class?

Personally, I like to be like a sponge, and soak up whatever knowledge I can, whenever it appears.

Steve

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Is your money well spent?

I think it is very funny that students who have taken one lesson from an instructor/teacher think they are the greatest.

Analogy: From kindergarten to high school, maybe college, you have had many teachers. I am sure they were not all great. If you look back, or as of present you may find one or two that were a cut above the rest for whatever reason, you learned, retained the information and excelled in the class. A good teacher that worked well for you.

I have a student from a local pool hall who didn't want anyone to know he was taking lessons. He loves straight pool, wanted straight pool lessons, he plays all games. He went online and found a certified instructor 50 miles away. He took lessons and played games with this instructor. He said the instructors high run in the 3 months was 16. ( YES 16 ) He said anything he learned he already knew from reading books. When he asked for the so called (Secrets) the instructor couldn't help him. The student asked what he needs to improve on, he was told to practice more,,,,,Good answer

So this student goes to another instructor, a world class player in straight pool and nine ball, well known in the pool world as top instructor. Five months later of the same do this, clear the lane, key ball blah blah blah. After 8 months of lessons between the two instructors and spending big bucks on lessons he comes to me and tells me all of this. He tells me he doesn't understand why he is not improving, then he asks me for my opinion.
My answer to him was this. You can't run before you walk. Your feet are too close and in front on each other, you are off balance, I could lean on you and you will fall over. Your cue is too jacked up on most shots, your cue is too far out from your body, your grip hand is too tight, you have an inconsistent bridge, your rhythms are a mess, you move your head on every shot, your delivery stroke to your preliminary strokes is entirely too long and out of sync, your fundamentals are as bad as bad can be, yet on the positive side you have a natural stroke which is a major plus.
I told him you can have all the knowledge in the world but what good is it if you can't perform. What I think you need is to get all of these things in order combined with game play knowledge and you will be a very good player. If you came to me for straight pool lessons I would have told you this from day one instead of just taking your money, showing you break rack, mid rack, end rack, key balls, clearing lanes, etc., all info that is in a book instead of spending big money on useless lessons.

This student was aware of how I teach. I will not give just one lesson, go elsewhere it will not help much unless you are an advanced player. I tell a student from the first time they come to me for instruction, if you do not practice what you learn I will not teach you any longer. You as a student are a reflection upon me. He is a my student for a year now, he works hard and is improving at a very nice pace. When he came to me he was a C level player. All my players receive a report card (yes a report card) They like to see the good remarks and respect the constructive criticism. I am here to teach and you are here to learn. Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours even though you are paying for it. I will not blow smoke up your butt week after week on how you are improving just to get your money

Bottom line, I think pool is a little different from baseball and other sports.
If I were paying good money for lessons and the teacher could only explain how to do it and not perform it I would run for the hills and fast. As a student I couldn't imagine asking an instructor to teach me power draw and he says, well I can tell you but I can't show you, let's go to that table over there and watch Willie he has a great power draw, loss of respect instantly. Some lessons are verbal, show and tell, and play and learn. An instructor should be able to do it all
As humans we are very visual creatures. Taking lessons from an instructor who can only explain and not perform (Example: power draw, reverse kill, all aspects of punch,gameplay,rhythms,kicking,systems,math,etc,etc) it will take you 9 billion years to improve and lots of wasted money. You have to respect your instructor and they must respect you, feel comfortable, you form a relationship.
Find an instructor who can perform, has the knowledge and you have something, Otherwise take your money and buy high end cues, walk in a pool hall with a Bushka as a D player for life and just have fun.

Long rant,sorry

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SmoothStroke...Interesting post! It's obvious that you know a lot about the kinds of fundamentals and mechanics that are necessary BEFORE a student can make much serious advancement in learning to PLAY any pool game at a higher level. I too, make it clear to a student that they need to understand some basic concepts, and master them, before moving on to other learning. When someone takes a lesson from me, I tell them that IF they choose to have me work more with them, I will quiz them on what they were taught the first time, and if they haven't mastered it, they'll have to go over the same thing again...a waste of time and money. I am interested only in helping someone to learn how teach themselves to play better. Yes, it is my job, and chosen occupation...but it's more about my love of teaching, than it is the money.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Thanks

Scott Lee said:
SmoothStroke...Interesting post! It's obvious that you know a lot about the kinds of fundamentals and mechanics that are necessary BEFORE a student can make much serious advancement in learning to PLAY any pool game at a higher level. I too, make it clear to a student that they need to understand some basic concepts, and master them, before moving on to other learning. When someone takes a lesson from me, I tell them that IF they choose to have me work more with them, I will quiz them on what they were taught the first time, and if they haven't mastered it, they'll have to go over the same thing again...a waste of time and money. I am interested only in helping someone to learn how teach themselves to play better. Yes, it is my job, and chosen occupation...but it's more about my love of teaching, than it is the money.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thank you for the compliment. It's nice to know it is not always about the money as rare as it may be.
Respectfully SS