Pool is becoming a rich man's sport

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Can anyone justify why a college should buy a pool table?

Just one. Imagine space is at premium. And it wont be used everyday.

What brand or equipment is a good substandard ? Its just to get a small group of people for a physical activity. Classifying pool as a physical activity can have benefits in legal language.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Could say that about fishing... depends what you're fishing for and where... In my hometown, I will only ever want to catch mackerel. I have my spot that is sheltered from the weather in a cliff top a short cycle from my home (even my great-great grandad fished the same spot). A perfect sandy bottomed, in-laid hideaway spot for the mackerel. A spot with perfect visibility for the shoal, that actively encourages the fish to filter through (given the current and North shore conditions), cover for myself from the wind and weather and a path clear of rocks for line.

My set-up I've used for the last 15+ years cost less than a 10th of what I have spent on pool equipment this year alone (that's without getting into table fees, tournament entries or lost money games)

I guess that all this emphasizes is the relativity of cost to the exacting requirements of the individual vs. what is available.
Planned on starting fishing again last fall, I live on a river in upstate NY but they decided to replace the sidewalk next to the river and had it blocked off the whole season.

Jason<----wasn't walking or driving to fish lol

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Disagree with the thread's premise. Anyone who chooses to compete already owns the equipment needed, and pool equipment lasts forever. I've played with the same cue for thirty years and it plays as well as it did when I first got it. I bought it for $150 back then with two shafts, so my cue has cost me about $5 a year or forty cents a month. I've never needed new shafts, only new tips, which are inexpensive.

As for those who choose to compete at the top level, every tournament entered is an investment and those who don't expect to turn a profit shouldn't be entering unless they view it as entertainment expense which they are willing to absorb.

Those who enter pool tournaments without a reasonable expectation of a profit are what I have always called "hobbyists" and there are at least five to ten hobbyists for every pro player that expects to cash in a typical pro event. A hobbyist can spend as little or as much as they choose, but they are in it for the experience, not for the money.

Pool, I believe, is one of the cheapest participation sports around.

Flakeandrun

Planned on starting fishing again last fall, I live on a river in upstate NY but they decided to replace the sidewalk next to the river and had it blocked off the whole season.

Jason<----wasn't walking or driving to fish lol
All river fishing (also some specific areas of the coast (or fishing for some specific sea species)) requires license to fish. I'm never going to be paying for something that is part of my culture, that people have been doing for a thousand years... If it's a free to fish river, get off your ass and go fish buddy! 😋

There is also some who chose to pay a fee to access private reservoirs or access points to rivers that sit on private land.... I am never going to pay someone for the privilege to exploit something that should belong to the public.

There is also paying the fee if you are illegally fishing out of season, or exceeding limits (which some people are content to do... so, not illegal, but in fact 'legal for a fee' (Laws catering to the rich... who'd have thought? haha)... I will be doing whatever I want and taking measures to avoid being caught. I guess this is why locals will protect their spots more than they would their wife and kids where I am from haha

Just highlighting again the relativity of cost to the exacting requirements of the individual vs. what is available (whether that means being cash rich, time rich or accessibility rich is really besides the point. It all adds up)

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could say that about fishing... depends what you're fishing for and where... In my hometown, I will only ever want to catch mackerel. I have my spot that is sheltered from the weather in a cliff top a short cycle from my home (even my great-great grandad fished the same spot). A perfect sandy bottomed, in-laid hideaway spot for the mackerel. A spot with perfect visibility for the shoal, that actively encourages the fish to filter through (given the current and North shore conditions), cover for myself from the wind and weather and a path clear of rocks for line.

My set-up I've used for the last 15+ years cost less than a 10th of what I have spent on pool equipment this year alone (that's without getting into table fees, tournament entries or lost money games)

I guess that all this emphasizes is the relativity of cost to the exacting requirements of the individual vs. what is available.
Sounds like a cool spot. What kind of mackerel are you talking about? Must be different than what we have here in Florida.

Like any hobby you can spend as much or little as you want. I have dozens of rods from 10-15 years ago but most reels are only good for a season or two. Especially the tarpon reels. I typically replace the line twice a season and a reel never makes it longer than two. I had my cue made in 2006 and it still looks brand new and might be the last I ever buy.

So I guess it all comes down to what you can afford and how you want to spend it. For me that’s fishing. With fuel on the water around $5.50 a gallon I could save a fortune if I just played pool.

Flakeandrun

Disagree with the thread's premise. Anyone who chooses to compete already owns the equipment needed, and pool equipment lasts forever. I've played with the same cue for thirty years and it plays as well as it did when I first got it. I bought it for $150 back then with two shafts, so my cue has cost me about $5 a year or forty cents a month. I've never needed new shafts, only new tips, which are inexpensive.

As for those who choose to compete at the top level, every tournament entered is an investment and those who don't expect to turn a profit shouldn't be entering unless they view it as entertainment expense which they are willing to absorb.

Those who enter pool tournaments without a reasonable expectation of a profit are what I have always called "hobbyists" and there are at least five to ten hobbyists for every pro player that expects to cash in a typical pro event. A hobbyist can spend as little or as much as they choose, but they are in it for the experience, not for the money.

Pool, I believe, is one of the cheapest participation sports around.
Very rationally described. I agree with you. It is one of the cheapest ways to kill a few hours in a world where it feels that nothing is truly free anymore.

But there are still certain elements that we are encouraged to need or want in order to perform our best (or like the pro we idolize). Not everyone is as infallible to gimmicks, wants and needs. Not everyone applies logic in the same way. Not everyone is in control of their cash flow in the same way. Psychology and spending are something exploited for more than a short period of time throughout history. It is one reason I agree with the title thread, and understand how some people perceive it to be a rich persons game. I was a bit over-awed by all the fancy cue talk here when I first stumbled on the forum 😂

We definitely don't need all the new stuff, 20 shafts and 5 cue cases, but the importance of owning them is pressed on us. Whether the latest tech is placebo or not. Whether the re-sale or collectability is worth it or not. To some fragile people, having those things matters and does affect their performance or impact their self-worth even.

It's one of the biggest gripes I had with pool when I first started playing (I know I have whined about it a few times here before), and it's why I am glad I have chosen the 'one cue to rule them all' method. Picking out a stick that's going to be playing with me until I can't play anymore.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
All river fishing (also some specific areas of the coast (or fishing for some specific sea species)) requires license to fish. I'm never going to be paying for something that is part of my culture that people have been doing for a thousand years... If it's a free to fish river, get off your ass and go fish buddy! 😋

There is also paying some who chose to pay a fee to access private reservoirs or access points to rivers that sit on private land.... I am never going to pay someone for the privilege to exploit something that should belong to the public.

There is also paying the fee if you are illegally fishing out of season, or exceeding limits (which some people are content to do... so, not illegal, but in fact 'legal for a fee' (Laws catering to the rich... who'd have thought? haha)... I will be doing whatever I want and taking measures to avoid being caught. I guess this is why locals will protect their spots more than they would their wife and kids where I am from haha

Just highlighting again the relativity of cost to the exacting requirements of the individual vs. what is available (whether that means being cash rich, time rich or accessibility rich is really besides the point. It all adds up)
The other problem is, in the wonderful shithole that NY is, you can't fish 1/2hr after sundown, which makes those of us who pay the taxes in this state not have very much time to fish after working all f'ing day 😡

zetetikos

I get sticker shock every time I see our monthly club bill from our 4-course ClubCorp (now Invited) property here in Austin. It’s ridiculous. Averages like $1,800, and we still have to pay $26 cart fees or about $1,500/yr for the privilege of owning our own cart (“Trail fees”). And $6 domestic beers/$15 mixed drinks in the clubhouse. And of course the initiation fee is a sunk cost.
I'm laughing at the idea of pool players complaining about expense of equipment while I cry at the cost of new wheels for my bicycle, don't even want to think of the cost per day in cleaning, food, coffee, wear on chain, maintenance fees, bibs :(,

I don't have to worry that one mistake and I crack a piece of carbon and out a few thousand with my pool cue.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Very rationally described. I agree with you. It is one of the cheapest ways to kill a few hours in a world where it feels that nothing is truly free anymore.

But there are still certain elements that we are encouraged to need or want in order to perform our best (or like the pro we idolize). Not everyone is as infallible to gimmicks, wants and needs. Not everyone applies logic in the same way. Not everyone is in control of their cash flow in the same way. Psychology and spending are something exploited for more than short period of time in history. It is one reason I agree with the title thread, and understand how some people perceive it to be a rich persons game. I was a bit over-awed by all the fancy cue talk here when I first stumbled on the forum 😂

We definitely don't need all the new stuff, 20 shafts and 5 cue cases, but the importance of owning them is pressed on us. Whether the latest tech is placebo or not. Whether the re-sale or collectability is worth it or not. To some fragile people, having those things matters and does affect their performance or impact their self-worth even.

It's one of the biggest gripes I had with pool when I first started playing (I know I have whined about it a few times here before), and it's why I am glad I have chosen the 'one cue to rule them all' method. Picking out a stick that's going to be playing with me until I can't play anymore.
I feel like I need a McLaren but somehow I haven't bought one yet. Seems what I'm driving now is good enough 🤷‍♂️ having no self control isn't pool's problem it's the person with no self controls problem. Just sayin

jbart65

I bought a cheap used table for $500 a few years ago and a $150 stick when I got back in the game. Biggest issue for most people is space.

Had a decent table as a kid, too. Playing organized hockey would have been a lot more expensive.

Flakeandrun

Sounds like a cool spot. What kind of mackerel are you talking about? Must be different than what we have here in Florida.

Like any hobby you can spend as much or little as you want. I have dozens of rods from 10-15 years ago but most reels are only good for a season or two. Especially the tarpon reels. I typically replace the line twice a season and a reel never makes it longer than two. I had my cue made in 2006 and it still looks brand new and might be the last I ever buy.

So I guess it all comes down to what you can afford and how you want to spend it. For me that’s fishing. With fuel on the water around $5.50 a gallon I could save a fortune if I just played pool.
1704851642553.png

It's such a good spot, it's treacherous to climb down, the actual spot is in on the left, obscured by the protruding piece of headland. You can catch good sized mackerel nearly all year round (with the exception of April-June). The best time is September in my opinion.
It's a cave like spot in the rocks, that has a natural chair. My family have left many tid-bits inside (it almost feels like some kind of shrine at this point. My family have left lots of little odds-ends and supplies inside - some pre-1900). Always line - spinning or float (depending on how much effort you want to put in) and ragworm... You can catch a months worth in a day if you really went at it.
These are 'Scomber scombrus' Atlantic mackerel (brythili or briel to use the local tongue).

Wish I'd ever be able to afford a boat in my lifetime, I'd certainly be out on it burning a hole in my pocket haha
Completely agree with the sentiments of your post :) Happy fishing bud

The other problem is, in the wonderful shithole that NY is, you can't fish 1/2hr after sundown, which makes those of us who pay the taxes in this state not have very much time to fish after working all f'ing day 😡

What is the reasoning behind that? Safety? 😵‍💫

I feel like I need a McLaren but somehow I haven't bought one yet. Seems what I'm driving now is good enough 🤷‍♂️ having no self control isn't pool's problem it's the person with no self controls problem. Just sayin

Also agree, but I'm no less irked by those falling into, or setting the consumerist traps (especially the ones I fall into:ROFLMAO:). It's a problem with the way of life we have normalized (well accepted... the powers at be normalize...)

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
View attachment 737143
It's such a good spot, it's treacherous to climb down, the actual spot is in on the left, obscured by the protruding piece of headline. You can catch good sized mackerel nearly all year round (with the exception of April-June). The best time is September in my opinion.
It's a cave like spot in the rocks, that has a natural chair. My family have left many tin-bits inside (it almost feels like some kind of shrine at this point. My family have left lots of little odds-ends and supplies inside - some pre-1900). Always handline, spinning or float (depending on how much effort you want to put in) and ragworm... You can catch a months worth in a day if you really went at it.
These are 'Scomber scombrus' Atlantic mackerel (brythili or briel to use the local tongue).

Wish I'd ever be able to afford a boat in my lifetime, I'd certainly be out on it burning a hole in my pocket haha

Also agree, but I'm no less irked by those falling into, or setting the consumerist traps (especially the ones I fall into:ROFLMAO:). It's a problem with the way of life we have normalized (well accepted... the powers at be normalize...)
No idea why, doesn't make any sense no matter the reason. All they're basically doing is banning people that work from fishing in the fall.

I seem to be able to swim day or night, I must be special 😁

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Pool historically was a dangerous sport.

Imagine before radio, a group of people amassing a large fortune and traveling the world. That describes a threat to established authority.

Instead if talking based on opinion let us analyze history and the context that got everyone here.

In some countries assemblies are banned. Pool is an assembly event. Who is banned from participation?

Women are banned in certain countries. WPA do you have a mission?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
View attachment 737143
It's such a good spot, it's treacherous to climb down, the actual spot is in on the left, obscured by the protruding piece of headland. You can catch good sized mackerel nearly all year round (with the exception of April-June). The best time is September in my opinion.
It's a cave like spot in the rocks, that has a natural chair. My family have left many tid-bits inside (it almost feels like some kind of shrine at this point. My family have left lots of little odds-ends and supplies inside - some pre-1900). Always handline, spinning or float (depending on how much effort you want to put in) and ragworm... You can catch a months worth in a day if you really went at it.

I keep seeing McLaren adds, they are eventually going to get me 😁 I feel your pain

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 737143
It's a cave like spot in the rocks, that has a natural chair. My family have left many tid-bits inside (it almost feels like some kind of shrine at this point. My family have left lots of little odds-ends and supplies inside - some pre-1900). Always handline, spinning or float (depending on how much effort you want to put in) and ragworm... You can catch a months worth in a day if you really went at it.

Looks awesome. I drink too much to carry my ass down that mountain. I’d never make it back.

Flakeandrun

No idea why, doesn't make any sense no matter the reason. All they're basically doing is banning people that work from fishing in the fall.

I seem to be able to swim day or night, I must be special 😁
hahaha I would understand if it was conservation related, but maybe it's just to get you all desperate enough for action that you'll happily pay a fine to get your fix? You can swim at night too? Let's form some kind of Marvel styled team? haha

I keep seeing McLaren adds, they are eventually going to get me 😁 I feel your pain
hahaha same goes for me, If I don't buy myself that Lambo, my life is going to have been a total waste of Time :cautious::ROFLMAO:

Flakeandrun

Looks awesome. I drink too much to carry my ass down that mountain. I’d never make it back.
I'd never take more than a couple beers/joints for a days fishing. It really does get a little gnarly on the way down. Usually I take a portable BBQ, small cooler, and some general supplies. As I only go home once in a blue moon, I aim to either catch 10 or spend a couple of hours down there. Long gone are the days of hitting up family, friends or the fishmonger with any excess haha
Annoyingly, last time I went there, the spot where I hitch my bike proved not to be as reliable as it had been for literally my whole life.. Someone robbed my bike!
Me and a friend once did two days straight down there and you'd have thought we trawled with a net (actually helped me get my head around conservation efforts realizing just how many fish two guys with some rods could pull-in)

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is for adults, most of the kids were afraid of the pool room because all the old people. I invited people to a pool room for decades. The older I get the creepier it feels to invite people to a pool room. I just go when I want to now.
I can tell you here in Germany it is nothing like that. Pool is getting younger and younger. Weekly trainig for kids, trainingscamps for kids, youth national teams, etc. No more old creepie people.

dendweller

Also, I see people respond to my equipment list and that list is what I see currently. We're not talking about how affordable it is in 1975. I see a lot of people bring up their experiences from 50 years ago.

With that said, are you guys not seeing what is being sold right now? An entry level cue is $400 and that's with an old broom stick. No new tech.

$200 cues and $20 cases is all folklore today. I'm in my 40's and if I tell people this they would think I'm closer to 50.
Look at Vahala from Viking, Lucky From Mcdermott. They are both playable cues for under 200. I'm sure other major brands off the same.

Schmelke cues as well if you want something made in the US.